Does the "Charity Church" really exist anymore?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Does the "Charity Church" really exist anymore?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh's quote made me question this.
Josh wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:37 pm ___ Christian Fellowship is basically the "brand" of Charity type of churches around here. Note that most of these, if asked, will tell you either "We aren't a Charity church" or "We aren't a typical Charity church".
Lancaster County is the same way. They look and act like Charity, but they claim they are not.

Please expound. I may chime in later with some thoughts.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Does the "Charity Church" really exist anymore?

Post by Soloist »

Well it really depends on who is defining it again.

We called the church we attended to be a charity church, but it was quite conservative.

There is a new fellowship that they are part of which would be the conservative “charity” if they even could be called that at this point.
They wore veils and had church standards. What do I know :roll:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I don't think there ever was a Charity Church other than Charity Christian Fellowship in Leola. Anybody who wanted to affiliate with them could and did and some referred to themselves as "part of the Charity churches". Over the time that Charity imploded about 15-20 years ago or so, some congregations quit identifying as such.
Today, some still call themselves "part of the charity churches", some say they related to Charity churches but other groups as well, and some have basically severed ties and call themselves Agape Fellowship.
Agape Fellowship is similar to other Anabaptist fellowships in that there are specific things you need to be supportive of and on board with, in order to join the fellowship.

My understanding but stand to be corrected...
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:22 pm Josh's quote made me question this.
Josh wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:37 pm ___ Christian Fellowship is basically the "brand" of Charity type of churches around here. Note that most of these, if asked, will tell you either "We aren't a Charity church" or "We aren't a typical Charity church".
Lancaster County is the same way. They look and act like Charity, but they claim they are not.

Please expound. I may chime in later with some thoughts.
I’d like to hear others as well.

Charity Christian Fellowship still exists.

There are numerous Charity type of churches near me. One can quickly see with whom they affiliated.

For example, Berea in Leetonia, Ohio would affiliate with Finger

One Charity church actually joined BMA.

Grace Christian Fellowship, Lisbon, Ohio would be aligned with River of Life, Shreve, Ohio

A new one has popped up that is more conservative (I don’t know it’s name yet)

In my own circles we call these people “doily people”.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:35 pm I don't think there ever was a Charity Church other than Charity Christian Fellowship in Leola. Anybody who wanted to affiliate with them could and did and some referred to themselves as "part of the Charity churches". Over the time that Charity imploded about 15-20 years ago or so, some congregations quit identifying as such.
Today, some still call themselves "part of the charity churches", some say they related to Charity churches but other groups as well, and some have basically severed ties and call themselves Agape Fellowship.
Agape Fellowship is similar to other Anabaptist fellowships in that there are specific things you need to be supportive of and on board with, in order to join the fellowship.

This was the impression I had. We have Harmony Christian Fellowship in our area and they split the church a few years ago due to size. Oasis, maybe? Anyway, I am unsure if they affiliate with anyone any more.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ernie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:35 pm I don't think there ever was a Charity Church other than Charity Christian Fellowship in Leola. Anybody who wanted to affiliate with them could and did and some referred to themselves as "part of the Charity churches". Over the time that Charity imploded about 15-20 years ago or so, some congregations quit identifying as such.

I can never remember the group’s name. I think you are right.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:39 pm

This was the impression I had. We have Harmony Christian Fellowship in our area and they split the church a few years ago due to size. Oasis, maybe? Anyway, I am unsure if they affiliate with anyone any more.
Harmony, Oasis, and Living Hope are all Agape I think.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Ernie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:35 pm Over the time that Charity imploded about 15-20 years ago or so...
I should have said, Over the time that "the Charity movement" imploded... I'm not sure what actually happened at Charity Leola.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:07 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:35 pm Over the time that Charity imploded about 15-20 years ago or so...
I should have said, Over the time that "the Charity movement" imploded... I'm not sure what actually happened at Charity Leola.
It split into Charity CF and Ephrata CF. I only know people nowadays who would attend the latter.

Overall, the Charity movement now is similar to the liberal end of RNC - it seems to accommodate people with last names of Yoder who wish to abandon coverings, have women wear pants, vote, carry firearms, etc. but don’t want to have women preachers.

Interestingly the more liberal Beachy congregations around here have women wearing tiny doily type coverings almost identical to what was in vogue in CMC a decade or two ago. Which begs the question of why not just affiliate with RNC already instead of forming the new ADC organisation.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:11 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:07 pm
It split into Charity CF and Ephrata CF. I only know people nowadays who would attend the latter.

Overall, the Charity movement now is similar to the liberal end of RNC - it seems to accommodate people with last names of Yoder who wish to abandon coverings, have women wear pants, vote, carry firearms, etc. but don’t want to have women preachers.

Interestingly the more liberal Beachy congregations around here have women wearing tiny doily type coverings almost identical to what was in vogue in CMC a decade or two ago. Which begs the question of why not just affiliate with RNC already instead of forming the new ADC organisation.
What is RNC?

I've been disconnected with the Charity Movement for about 10 years now, but had regular contact with them for about 20 years prior (including attending Charity in Leola for a while), and I never remember Charity churches being defined by "abandoning coverings, women wearing pants, voting, carrying firearms, etc." If this is true it is a radical shift in direction, since the movement historically stood pretty strongly against most of these things.
1 x