Does the "Charity Church" really exist anymore?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Does the "Charity Church" really exist anymore?

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:33 pm My grandmother bought a church.
My grandfather bought a church, too.

The church he attended built a new building several miles away. He didn't really think the new building was necessary, but he offered to donate toward the project if he could keep the old building which adjoined his farm. He rented it to the Baptists for a while; eventually it became an office for an auction company, then sold to a couple who made it a residence. The cemetery next to the building went with it, and the new owners tried to keep the relatives of the deceased from visiting the graves. And they prohibited new burials, even though the widow had bought the plot next to her husband and her name was already on the tombstone. The state eventually passed a law requiring owners of private cemeteries to provide reasonable public access.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Wayne in Maine once posted something along the lines of:

The first generation has the fire.
The second generation has the godly legacy.
The third generation has the rules.

I think he may have been quoting someone else. Does anyone remember the exact quote or is able to find it? Or know the original source?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Pelerin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:07 am Wayne in Maine once posted something along the lines of:

I think he may have been quoting someone else. Does anyone remember the exact quote or is able to find it? Or know the original source?
I recall him saying that.

Where things get interesting is the fourth generation...
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:13 am
Pelerin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:07 am Wayne in Maine once posted something along the lines of:

Maybe it is a cycle, rinse and repeat?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:25 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:13 am

Maybe it is a cycle, rinse and repeat?
Every generation is simultaneously the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation, depending on when you start the clock.
0 x
Samuel-Stoltzfus
Affiliation: Cons. Anabaptist

Post by Samuel-Stoltzfus »

I'm new to the forum here but saw this post and wanted to chime in :)
To answer Steve's original question, Yes, Charity Christian Fellowship in Leola PA is still very active and definitely does exist. Plenty of other "Charity Churches" exist too. However, as has already been mentioned, some of them look a bit different than they did 15 years ago. Having attended Charity for over 5 years in 2007-2012 and still having many friends and Acquaintances there, my perspective is that the "Charity Church of the 2005-2015" doesn't exist today in the way it did then, and few of the "Charity Churches" today look like they did then, however good or bad that may be.
A lot of that being that the passing of Bro. Denny and other earlier leaders has IMO brought the 'Setting of the Sun" on the Charity movement but there are still churches in Charity circles that are trying to carry the vision the best that they can as has already been mentioned.
As far as Charity possibly not supporting the head covering, etc as was mentioned in this thread earlier: CCF Leola does still very much practice the head covering and it is a requirement for membership from what I last heard.
One thing about Charity and Charity circles that has stood out to me is their diversity and because of that there is many things that are practiced differently by different families and churches so it's hardly fair to lump all of Charity together in to the same basket.
5 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Samuel-Stoltzfus wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:46 am I'm new to the forum here but saw this post and wanted to chime in :)
To answer Steve's original question, Yes, Charity Christian Fellowship in Leola PA is still very active and definitely does exist. Plenty of other "Charity Churches" exist too. However, as has already been mentioned, some of them look a bit different than they did 15 years ago. Having attended Charity for over 5 years in 2007-2012 and still having many friends and Acquaintances there, my perspective is that the "Charity Church of the 2005-2015" doesn't exist today in the way it did then, and few of the "Charity Churches" today look like they did then, however good or bad that may be.
A lot of that being that the passing of Bro. Denny and other earlier leaders has IMO brought the 'Setting of the Sun" on the Charity movement but there are still churches in Charity circles that are trying to carry the vision the best that they can as has already been mentioned.
As far as Charity possibly not supporting the head covering, etc as was mentioned in this thread earlier: CCF Leola does still very much practice the head covering and it is a requirement for membership from what I last heard.
One thing about Charity and Charity circles that has stood out to me is their diversity and because of that there is many things that are practiced differently by different families and churches so it's hardly fair to lump all of Charity together in to the same basket.
Thank you for this reply.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Charity and Charity type fellowships-changes?

Post by MaxPC »

Spotted this from a new member:
I'm interested in current trends in Anabaptism. Also want to know what has changed with Charity CF in the last 5 years of so.
Chris
Are there any changes of note from the last 5 years?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I know plenty of people who go to a Charity type of church, although most of them don’t call themselves “Charity” anymore.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

I confess, I had not given deep thought to Charity (my experience was the core one ) in years. I presume that both Denny Kenaston and Mose Stoltzfus have passed away? I knew many non Amish homeschool types who joined or flirted with Charity.

I was always uncomfortable with the group based on how supportive of Bill Gotherd they were. I could cry when I think of how many sincere people get bambozzled and cannot see the dangers of cult of personality. Do people not see the value of a multitude of councillers and checks and balances.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. If you church leader is not accountable some how….he most likely goes astray. Does not matter I’d you are Anabaptist, Catholic, or Jewish.
3 x