That will be a lot of buggies

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: That will be a lot of buggies

Post by Valerie »

The e-bikes were an answer to/formany people. Like my husband whose vision or lack, who can't pass the eye exam to drive but can see well enough to ride this ebike. It's signs, he cannot read. I had a moped when I was 18 that went 55 mph but stayed out of driving lane. If people use common sense they can ride an ebike with no need of license.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:55 am
Valerie wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:10 am
Josh wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:33 pm There are plenty of horse and buggy during the week on Holmes, Wayne, and now even Columbiana Counties. A lot of Amish groups don’t allow powered bikes and scooters at all.
Can you imagine the nightmare of shutting g down 201 to do this?so many semi trucks use that route which that I. Itself is good reason to add buggy lanes which would be good for ebikes too. Especially when ebikes now pass around the buggies, it's dangerous
Were you ever here during the time they did it on CR 77? There's probably just as much traffic there, for certain on live stock sale days, and on machinery auction days, although that's only 3 times a year. Also, now that they have a lot more facilities there, they schedule personal auctions there, as well as other types of events. (I generally took back roads out around CR 77 during that time.) Speaking of CR 201, Last year, when they had resurfaced it and were painting lines, the lanes were separated by cones all the way from close to Fredericksburg all the way to the OH 241 crossing, and I met a buggy going north, with a L O N G string of cars coming along behind. (I imagine they got off from time to time to let the vehicles past, but another line would quickly accumulate, I'm sure.)

One thing about the actual topic here, is that as some Amish communities grow more and more, members of some districts no longer use buggies, or even keep a horse, because the distance to their services is so close that they either bike or walk. Not too long ago the Amish felt that they needed an acreage of at least 3 to 5 acres, but now (as Josh already mentioned) it's pretty much down to 1 acre. (They then just purchase a good portion of the needed hay and other feed, as from what I've been told 1 acre doesn't support even a single horse.) We also see a lot of golf carts and other types of motorized transportation come up our street here in Berlin, but it's usually elderly people, or the handicapped.
Yes I do remember that on 77, we were not going as often, but you're right, it can be done.

There is a house on 241 in Fredericksburg, going up for Auction 9/18. 2.17 acres could be small pasture. Open house is tonight- really curios what it will get. 1 mi. North of Mt. Hope Square
Ranch built in 58. Pretty propert. 8413 State Route 241
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:10 pm The e-bikes were an answer to/formany people. Like my husband whose vision or lack, who can't pass the eye exam to drive but can see well enough to ride this ebike. It's signs, he cannot read. I had a moped when I was 18 that went 55 mph but stayed out of driving lane. If people use common sense they can ride an ebike with no need of license.
#1, if you can’t see well enough to drive I would not hop in an ebike and zip around Holmes County. A quiet suburban area with very clear sight distance and wide open lanes might be a different story.

#2, Amish aren’t doing this because of vision problems.

#3, mopeds are still allowed without a licence - but they also have less power than modern e-bikes do and are less dangerous.

#4, the point of what I said is that a lot of riders are not using common sense. An example is that riders (in Holmes/Wayne Cos.) seem to almost never signal before turning. That seems to me there is a grievous lack of common sense, rider education, and a need for drivers licences, registration, and insurance.

If someone doesn’t want to do that, don’t ride an ebike.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:29 pm
Valerie wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:10 pm The e-bikes were an answer to/formany people. Like my husband whose vision or lack, who can't pass the eye exam to drive but can see well enough to ride this ebike. It's signs, he cannot read. I had a moped when I was 18 that went 55 mph but stayed out of driving lane. If people use common sense they can ride an ebike with no need of license.
#1, if you can’t see well enough to drive I would not hop in an ebike and zip around Holmes County. A quiet suburban area with very clear sight distance and wide open lanes might be a different story.

#2, Amish aren’t doing this because of vision problems.

#3, mopeds are still allowed without a licence - but they also have less power than modern e-bikes do and are less dangerous.

#4, the point of what I said is that a lot of riders are not using common sense. An example is that riders (in Holmes/Wayne Cos.) seem to almost never signal before turning. That seems to me there is a grievous lack of common sense, rider education, and a need for drivers licences, registration, and insurance.

If someone doesn’t want to do that, don’t ride an ebike.
Neil can't read "signs" at the speed you drive. He sees well enough to navigate, he does fine, probably better than most.
My Moped passed a VW beetle climbing a hill along the coast, so it had piwrt & speed.

These bi unless don't go as fast as my moped did - I hope they don't make Amish get license but I died classes would be great!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I do not understand why Amish shouldn’t get licenced and registrations to operate motorised vehicles.
1 x