Mennonites at Smithsonian Folklife Festival

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Z_DC
Affiliation: Keystone

Mennonites at Smithsonian Folklife Festival

Post by Z_DC »

For those who are in the greater DC/Baltimore area, Mennonite 4-part harmony/a capella singing and giant Dutch Blitz will be included at this year's Smithsonian Folklife Festival from June 29-July 6. You may send me a private message for more details on how to connect with us on the National Mall.

https://anabaptistworld.org/mennonite-s ... ashington/
1 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Re: Mennonites at Smithsonian Folklife Festival

Post by mike »

Z_DC wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:52 pm For those who are in the greater DC/Baltimore area, Mennonite 4-part harmony/a capella singing and giant Dutch Blitz will be included at this year's Smithsonian Folklife Festival from June 29-July 6. You may send me a private message for more details on how to connect with us on the National Mall.

https://anabaptistworld.org/mennonite-s ... ashington/
Many years ago I went to that festival when it was themed on the Silk Road. It was one of the most incredible things I've seen. They bring people in from all over the world to show off their work and culture.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with degenerating our singing of hymns/worship to just "work" and "culture". Singing acapella songs to worship the Lord is part and parcel something entirely different than playing Dutch Blitz (which some Mennonites would actually refuse to play and would think is sinful).
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:59 pm I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with degenerating our singing of hymns/worship to just "work" and "culture". Singing acapella songs to worship the Lord is part and parcel something entirely different than playing Dutch Blitz (which some Mennonites would actually refuse to play and would think is sinful).
I think it wouldn't need to be degenerating at all. A large variety of people will be stopping by and listening to Christian hymns sung. I think that this could be an excellent opportunity to demonstrate the beauty of a singing Christian culture. We don't only sing to worship, we sing to instruct, encourage, and evangelize. Dutch Blitz is more whatever, but I sure don't see a problem with singing in this context.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:23 pm I think it wouldn't need to be degenerating at all. A large variety of people will be stopping by and listening to Christian hymns sung. I think that this could be an excellent opportunity to demonstrate the beauty of a singing Christian culture. We don't only sing to worship, we sing to instruct, encourage, and evangelize. Dutch Blitz is more whatever, but I sure don't see a problem with singing in this context.
Yes, I could see a justification that it might expose people to gospel singing who would otherwise not listen.

I just don't like it being described as a "cultural" thing.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:59 pm I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with degenerating our singing of hymns/worship to just "work" and "culture". Singing acapella songs to worship the Lord is part and parcel something entirely different than playing Dutch Blitz (which some Mennonites would actually refuse to play and would think is sinful).
If you squeeze out every bit of Mennonite culture that isn't strictly Biblical then you won't be left with much.

The language will be gone. Plautdietsch isn't Biblical
Most of the food traditions will be gone. They aren't Biblical
The dress customs will be gone. No one in New Testament times dressed like Mennonites.
Even the hymns themselves will be gone. The harmonies, major and minor scales, and tonality of traditional Mennonite hymns only date to the 1600s.

I don't see anything wrong with sharing Mennonite culture with others who may be curious about it.

Although Dutch Blitz isn't a sedate game like chess. I'm having a hard time visualizing it played on big field with giant cards.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:44 pmIf you squeeze out every bit of Mennonite culture that isn't strictly Biblical then you won't be left with much.

The language will be gone. Plautdietsch isn't Biblical
Nobody in my congregation knows that language except a couple in their 80s and a girl who is from Paraguay.
Most of the food traditions will be gone. They aren't Biblical
We mostly eat the same food as the people surrounding us. Most of the popular dishes in my local congregation (and others) are ones that missionaries have picked up overseas, or that groups that migrated to Brazil have picked up. You can find them in many family recipe books.
The dress customs will be gone. No one in New Testament times dressed like Mennonites.
We believe it is important to practice simplicity, thrift, and modesty in clothing. Such dress customs can and do change over time.
Even the hymns themselves will be gone. The harmonies, major and minor scales, and tonality of traditional Mennonite hymns only date to the 1600s.
I don't see a problem there either. We used to have 1-part singing. In the 1950s, it changed to 4 part singing.
I don't see anything wrong with sharing Mennonite culture with others who may be curious about it.
I would agree, I just am not sure I would describe singing worship and gospel songs and hymns as "Mennonite culture", anymore than Bible reading and preaching is "Mennonite culture".
Although Dutch Blitz isn't a sedate game like chess. I'm having a hard time visualizing it played on big field with giant cards.
It's something else - it must be seen to be believed.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Giant Blitz is what we always called it. It’s wild with people running everywhere and colliding and slipping on the piles of giant cards.
0 x