Holdeman shunning practice - does it include family?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Holdeman shunning practice - does it include family?

Post by Soloist »

It is interesting that in scripture a deacon could baptize, yet the early church did not permit it.

Also common understanding is that the Ethiopian likely started a church
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Can a person who has been excommunicated by a Holdeman church rejoin the church if he repents?

I'm under the impression that this is not possible with Apostolics. Or is it related to certain sins?

Can anyone help me with this?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Another question unrelated to shunning, do Holdeman's have a lot of preaching on child rearing? One of the reasons John Holdeman left the old Mennonite church was due to what he perceived was a lack of proper child training and I'm wondering how he corrected this.

Also, Holdeman was a "prophet". Are there any prophets within the Holdeman church today?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

AndersonD wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:44 pm Another question unrelated to shunning, do Holdeman's have a lot of preaching on child rearing? One of the reasons John Holdeman left the old Mennonite church was due to what he perceived was a lack of proper child training and I'm wondering how he corrected this.
A great deal of cultural customs exist in the domain of child rearing and it is also taught from the pulpit as being important to do properly. The emphasis however is that one must have a wholesome spiritual life personally in order to have a wholesome family and home life, and than in turn creates the proper context for loving discipline and to raise children in the "fear and instruction of the Lord".
Also, Holdeman was a "prophet". Are there any prophets within the Holdeman church today?
Nobody is ordained with that title, although certain men have been esteemed as having very pertinent messages, particularly in the 1970s. The Holdemans in general have cut back on special "titles" and nowadays only have Minister (which maps to πρεσβύτερος (Priest or Elder) and ἐπίσκοποι (Bishop)) and Deacon.

John Holdeman was never formally ordained by the church nor was he ever baptised by the Church of God in Christ so he is a bit of "special case". But in any case it is not particularly important since his words hold no more sway than other writers of the time.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ernie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:11 pm Can a person who has been excommunicated by a Holdeman church rejoin the church if he repents?

I'm under the impression that this is not possible with Apostolics. Or is it related to certain sins?

Can anyone help me with this?
The family I spoke to told me that excommunication for death sins was irreversible even if the person repented. It was up to God at that point but they could never take communion or take a role in the church again.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:11 pmCan a person who has been excommunicated by a Holdeman church rejoin the church if he repents?
Yes, and reacceptances are a common part of Holdeman church life. Much excitement is stirred up when rumours are circulating that someone wants to repent and then a special members' meeting is called for that person to get up and share their experience. We just had the joy of reaccepting someone a few weeks ago, and his wife was reaccepted a number of months ago.

Someone who has been ever been expelled for sexual immorality or for false doctrine can't be a minister or deacon in the future.
I believe only the ACF still holds to this. The ACC doesn't any more, nor does the ACC (Nazarean) (West). I am unclear on exactly what the ACC (Nazarean) (East) does nowadays.

In older times, someone who ended up so excommunicated could sincerely attend church and repent and would be called a "Friend" just like a seeker who has not yet joined. The feeling is that God may be able to repent and restore them, but the sin issue was so bad that the church on earth can't make that judgment call. (This is not something I personally agree with, but I do understand their reasoning and the scriptural support for it.)
0 x