Holdeman "Documentary" is this true?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Holdeman "Documentary" is this true?

Post by Soloist »

For the record, I know of an excommunicated Holdemen who is attending a conservative Mennonite church.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:00 am For the record, I know of an excommunicated Holdemen who is attending a conservative Mennonite church.
I used to know one - was going to charity for a while. But they’ve since dropped the covering and wear worldly clothes.

I used to know of another one (my current business partner used to work for him). He also went to Charity for a while.
Now he doesn’t go at all and he takes his family to the dirt bike track on Sunday mornings.

His teenaged son is still a church member and faithfully attends. He often even brings the younger children, but has worked out a “compromise” where sometimes they stay with the family and sometimes come to church.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I believe if one cannot walk away from a church and continue on with following the Lord as they believe the scriptures say they should, then something is wrong with their personal relationship with Jesus.

For some who leave from what is called here as 'conservative churches' they likely will experience a new freedom that they had not experienced before and it then becomes an issue of whether they were living by their own personal convictions in how they lived or if it was just something they had to do to stay in that church community. Some will find a better environment in another church to actually grow spiritually and follow the Lord in how He is calling them to follow. Some will experience this new freedom and it may take some time before they settle in with any new group. Still others will be glad to 'get free' to do as they wish with no church people telling them how to live and they live their lives more true to who they really are spiritually.

For some who leave from what is called here as 'liberal churches' and go for a more 'conservative' group, they may have this early excitement of what they might see as 'true Christianity' and are willing to 'play by the rules'. Some will like this type of fellowship and will find it to be the 'home church' that fits them best. However, others that join up with a 'conservative church', at some point, are turned off and quit church going altogether or might go back, over time, to a less 'conservative group'.

Myself, I have been what some call a 'church hopper' although I do settle in with a new fellowship for some years before leaving. Currently, at my old age, I use other means for Christian fellowship outside a local church. But if a local church in our area had it's main focus on promoting evangelism, I would likely join them regardless of some secondary beliefs we don't share. To me, this is what is of first importance.

I am sure there are those here who do not agree with my views on this but I thought I would toss them in anyway. :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:57 pm I believe if one cannot walk away from a church and continue on with following the Lord as they believe the scriptures say they should, then something is wrong with their personal relationship with Jesus.

For some who leave from what is called here as 'conservative churches' they likely will experience a new freedom that they had not experienced before and it then becomes an issue of whether they were living by their own personal convictions in how they lived or if it was just something they had to do to stay in that church community. Some will find a better environment in another church to actually grow spiritually and follow the Lord in how He is calling them to follow. Some will experience this new freedom and it may take some time before they settle in with any new group. Still others will be glad to 'get free' to do as they wish with no church people telling them how to live and they live their lives more true to who they really are spiritually.

For some who leave from what is called here as 'liberal churches' and go for a more 'conservative' group, they may have this early excitement of what they might see as 'true Christianity' and are willing to 'play by the rules'. Some will like this type of fellowship and will find it to be the 'home church' that fits them best. However, others that join up with a 'conservative church', at some point, are turned off and quit church going altogether or might go back, over time, to a less 'conservative group'.

Myself, I have been what some call a 'church hopper' although I do settle in with a new fellowship for some years before leaving. Currently, at my old age, I use other means for Christian fellowship outside a local church. But if a local church in our area had it's main focus on promoting evangelism, I would likely join them regardless of some secondary beliefs we don't share. To me, this is what is of first importance.

I am sure there are those here who do not agree with my views on this but I thought I would toss them in anyway. :)
I personally think there is far more to choosing a congregation than where it falls on some liberal to conservative scale.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr