Styles of Worship

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Styles of Worship

Post by Sudsy »

Within Anabaptism there is probably quite a range of worship stypes. I just received my weekly update from our church and it included a new song we will be learning tomorrow with this link

This is closer to the worship in our MB church with a very talented worship band and I suspect many hands will be raised toward heaven as it shows here.

Are there examples on video that are closer to the worship style used in your Anabaptist church ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Styles of Worship

Post by Josh »

Since my own fellowship doesn't do recordings other than live audio on a telephone or computer or FaceTime type live video, there aren't many good recordings of our services.

Here is an example of some youth singing, probably recorded by a visitor. It's almost identical to what our hymn sings sound like.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zy37h
0 x
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

Here is some Beachy congregational singing...videos like this are pretty rare, usually usually it's not recorded.

People might be more likely to video special singing groups, like the one at my own church in this video

This isn't a church service, but here are some Holdeman young people singing at a Haiti benefit auction.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

buckeyematt2 wrote:Here is some Beachy congregational singing...videos like this are pretty rare, usually usually it's not recorded.

People might be more likely to video special singing groups, like the one at my own church in this video

This isn't a church service, but here are some Holdeman young people singing at a Haiti benefit auction.
Question - in the first video men were all wearing white shirts. Is this a Beachy norm and are wearing ties optional ? I know certain Baptists require white shirts only but with ties.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

This would be similar to what our MB church was like 60 years ago. Beautiful 4 part choir. I love this song and I think this Mennonite choir sings it so well I had to put it in -

Enjoy the next one also, another favourite - til the storm passes by -

Tears, tears, tears - God has been so good !
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote:
buckeyematt2 wrote:Here is some Beachy congregational singing...videos like this are pretty rare, usually usually it's not recorded.

Question - in the first video men were all wearing white shirts. Is this a Beachy norm and are wearing ties optional ? I know certain Baptists require white shirts only but with ties.
It is common to have an outfit for special choir groups - eg white shirts and black pants. Sometime the sisters will all make cape dresses of an identical colour. (If someone can't afford to do and is coming from out of town etc they'll try to match as close as they can.)

Most conservative Mennonites including Beachys and Holdemans do not wear ties (other than bow ties). Some groups like Old Order Mennonites and the liberal end of BMA and Charity are OK with ties.

Some Beachy and other conservative churches encourage brethren to wear white dress shirts on Sundays. I'm not entirely clear on where this tradition comes from. I've never been part of a congregation that required white shirts.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

At the Beachy church I visited, I was surprised by the homogenized attire of the men. Long sleeved white button down, black over vest, and black pants. I'd say some 98% of men had this on.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Here is a Hutterite choir singing 'Jesus, Remember me' (beautiful but they need a nursery :) )

Perhaps the rebellious men are the ones without suspenders and the guy without a white shirt. I wonder if this resulted in some form of discipline. Anyway, good music, imo.
0 x