Coblentz on Gender Identity

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Coblentz on Gender Identity

Post by MaxPC »

joshuabgood mentioned "Coblentz on gender identity". Is there a book or audio of his teachings on this?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Coblentz on Gender Identity

Post by joshuabgood »

I heard him give, what I thought, was a very sound exposition on this topic, a few months ago at an event sponsored by Faith-builders. It was probably recorded...

Josh
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

You can contact the Faith Builders bookstore to see if it was recorded.

https://christianlearning.org/
28527 Guys Mills Rd, Guys Mills, PA 16327
Phone: (877) 222-4769
Email: clr@fbep.org
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Thank you both. I've read a couple of his books and like his straightforward clarity on topics. He doesn't seem to be about appearing as an expert to attain fame. Rather he's about conveying the Biblical teaching with no personal deference for his own status.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:Thank you both. I've read a couple of his books and like his straightforward clarity on topics. He doesn't seem to be about appearing as an expert to attain fame. Rather he's about conveying the Biblical teaching with no personal deference for his own status.
I can say this: Coblentz would be uncomfortable with being venerated with this kind of gushing praise.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Thank you both. I've read a couple of his books and like his straightforward clarity on topics. He doesn't seem to be about appearing as an expert to attain fame. Rather he's about conveying the Biblical teaching with no personal deference for his own status.
I can say this: Coblentz would be uncomfortable with being venerated with this kind of gushing praise.
Probably but as one who knows him well personally I think it is pretty accurate.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Thank you, A-man. Coblentz's writings are a good resource, especially for NABs :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Josh

Post by Josh »

IS is rare. Some people are conjoined twins. But that's so rare that it is not useful to talk about exceptions as if they are commonplace. Our concept of the self and identity is based on being an individual. Conjoined twins challenge that identity, but the exception should not drive the conversation.

Nearly all people have a normal, easily defined biological sex - and so do most other species. (Some, like nematode worms, are different than male/female binary which mammals, including humans are. But we are not nematode worms.)

I think the Bible refers to this when it says "eunuchs from birth". Most LGBT* people have a definite biological sex with no physical disorders. And most IS people aren't LGBT - the average one isn't aware of their condition unless they find out when being treated for medical problems.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Erika wrote:If you wish to pretend that the LGBTI community is just LGBT then you are mistaken. Intersex people consider themselves LGBTI because that is how the health funding, diagnosis, and mental health services are arranged.
"LGB" (or the more recent "LGBT" or the comprehensive "LGBTQIAPK") is a modern social-political movement. Adding "I" to this movement does not serve people who have birth defects. It does help legitimize the social and political normalization of general sexual deviance for which the modern mental health professions are not allowed to seek a cure and from which a Christian must repent.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Erika, I happen to have known a few IS people and they did not identify as trans or gay at all.

Homosexuals and transsexuals have a completely normal biological sex. They just have had experiences or have made decisions where what they sexually enjoy is deviant - but lots of heterosexual people have similar struggles. That has nothing to do with MRIs or the structure of the brain. Sexual expression outside of a proper marriage hurts others and hurts ourselves. That's why the Bible teaches us not to do such things.
0 x