ChatGPT Summarizes the Tenets of Anabaptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: ChatGPT Summarizes the Tenets of Anabaptism

Post by Josh »

Sudsy, my church is constantly asking for more missions, raising funds for them, and making sure missions are adequately funded. In addition to international outreach there is plenty of domestic outreach with guest houses, tract workers, and young people’s Christian public service units.

I agree some other groups could do better but one of the best examples of a strong Christian witness is the Amish. Many worldly people know about them and admire them. They aren’t easy to join yet many people wish to and will go to great effort to do so.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Robert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:19 am
Sudsy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:56 am So, no one is going to comment on my challenge to these Anabaptist statements on Evangelism and Missions ? One can have this as a core belief but if it is not a practised belief, is it really a core belief ?
I do think it is a core belief. I do think African, Asian, and South American Anabaptists are much better at it.

I know it was something I worked at for over 20 years. We were MCUSA, but I know of several CM churches in Indiana that did well with this. Maple City Chapel in Goshen to name one.

I do agree that we could do a lot better and I think we have at other times. I think currently we are weak in this area.
I especially am interested in the statement 'They seek to live out their faith in a way that attracts others to Christ and actively engage in mission work'.

It would seem to me that this would require little isolation from the unsaved world. A few questions with regard to what Anabaptists are doing that actually attracts others to Christ -

Would some ways of living out Aabaptist faith be more of a hindrance than an attraction ? For instance, how is wearing a cape dress or driving a black car or driving a horse and buggy as a primary means of transportation attract people to wanting to become a Christ follower ? Perhaps some are attracted but could it be that more are turned off if they think this is what Christ following requires ? Are these kind of things more of a stumbling block than a stepping stone to others coming to salvation ?

The apostle Paul said -
To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.
On the other hand, some evangelism is regarded as 'bringing the world into the church' to reach the lost. Depending on what group of Anabaptists one is part of, things like music and worship style, dress allowance, etc have quite a range of practise. If Paul was raised in our culture, how far would he go to win others to Christ ?

Would it be fair to say that if your local Anabaptist church is not regularly having converts from the unchurched, unsaved local community then their living out their faith is seriously flawed ?

I threw in a bunch of questions that don't need answers to each but for the purpose of getting some feedback on how y'all believe a local group of believers should go to win others for Christ.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

For instance, how is wearing a cape dress or driving a black car or driving a horse and buggy as a primary means of transportation attract people to wanting to become a Christ follower ? Perhaps some are attracted but could it be that more are turned off if they think this is what Christ following requires ? Are these kind of things more of a stumbling block than a stepping stone to others coming to salvation ?
Quite a few people are attracted to something with a sense of order, structure, and institutional authority. Most people who want to become Christians are not looking for excuses to do whatever they want and not change their lives.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I’d rather have the rule of modesty then the rule of society.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Perhaps when new people, especially the unchurched, are not being saved in one's local church, then it might be time to look at what the NT says draws people to the born again Christian life.

As I have shared often before, my parents and many in our local church used various means to attract people to Christian living. My father, for instance, was drawn to entering the church doors when he was sitting in the parking lot waiting for mom to get out of church. He heard the singing and hand clapping through the church windows and he finally decided to go have a closer look to see why these folk sounded so happy. He then heard the Gospel being preached and responded to the call to receive Jesus as his Lord and Saviour.

The NT speaks about shining our light before people through good works in such a way as to draw them to becoming Christ followers. Like a moth is drawn to a light, a true light will be hard to resist. Another way Jesus puts it is that a city on a hill cannot be hid. If Jesus is truly living in us and we believe He is the light of the world, then the unsaved will be drawn to that light. Some will resist, the bible says, because they don't like how this light exposes their sin. Whereas others will be drawn to this light to know more.

Another reference is to us being salt. Salt can lose it's saltiness and scripture says in this case, it isn't worth anything and can be thrown out. If a local church is not having new converts to Christ (not something else) on a regular basis, has it lost it's saltiness ?

Another way that attracts people is through love. When you love those who don’t deserve it, you do what God did. He first loved us before we ever loved Him (1 John 4:19). So, we are to love those that don’t deserve it, because neither did we. Is this what I do or am I caught up with not loving people who do things I don't think is right ? Putting down sinners for their sinning.

Also, regarding the unsaved scripture says to love those who hate you, pray for them that persecute you, and bless them who curse you. Is this how we are responding to areas of life that are being opposed to how we believe and live ? Or does the world see that no matter how they treat us, through the enablement of the Holy Spirit, we are showing love and concern for them ?

I realize I got to rambling on here but if we are to live up to what this description of Evangelism and Missions states, imo, we should be quite interested in how our lives attract people to Christ and how they don't.

Currently I confess I am not living in such a way that is drawing others to Christ as I still live too self-centered. I would love to hear from others who are shining their light in ways that are drawing people to the Lord. Has anyone here lately led someone from an unchurched background to becoming a Christ follower and you will share that experience with us ? Or perhaps you view evangelism as a specific ministry that, unless one feels called to, the sharing of the Gospel message is not your calling ?
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:51 am Perhaps when new people, especially the unchurched, are not being saved in one's local church, then it might be time to look at what the NT says draws people to the born again Christian life.

As I have shared often before, my parents and many in our local church used various means to attract people to Christian living. My father, for instance, was drawn to entering the church doors when he was sitting in the parking lot waiting for mom to get out of church. He heard the singing and hand clapping through the church windows and he finally decided to go have a closer look to see why these folk sounded so happy. He then heard the Gospel being preached and responded to the call to receive Jesus as his Lord and Saviour.

The NT speaks about shining our light before people through good works in such a way as to draw them to becoming Christ followers. Like a moth is drawn to a light, a true light will be hard to resist. Another way Jesus puts it is that a city on a hill cannot be hid. If Jesus is truly living in us and we believe He is the light of the world, then the unsaved will be drawn to that light. Some will resist, the bible says, because they don't like how this light exposes their sin. Whereas others will be drawn to this light to know more.

Another reference is to us being salt. Salt can lose it's saltiness and scripture says in this case, it isn't worth anything and can be thrown out. If a local church is not having new converts to Christ (not something else) on a regular basis, has it lost it's saltiness ?

Another way that attracts people is through love. When you love those who don’t deserve it, you do what God did. He first loved us before we ever loved Him (1 John 4:19). So, we are to love those that don’t deserve it, because neither did we. Is this what I do or am I caught up with not loving people who do things I don't think is right ? Putting down sinners for their sinning.

Also, regarding the unsaved scripture says to love those who hate you, pray for them that persecute you, and bless them who curse you. Is this how we are responding to areas of life that are being opposed to how we believe and live ? Or does the world see that no matter how they treat us, through the enablement of the Holy Spirit, we are showing love and concern for them ?

I realize I got to rambling on here but if we are to live up to what this description of Evangelism and Missions states, imo, we should be quite interested in how our lives attract people to Christ and how they don't.

Currently I confess I am not living in such a way that is drawing others to Christ as I still live too self-centered. I would love to hear from others who are shining their light in ways that are drawing people to the Lord. Has anyone here lately led someone from an unchurched background to becoming a Christ follower and you will share that experience with us ? Or perhaps you view evangelism as a specific ministry that, unless one feels called to, the sharing of the Gospel message is not your calling ?

Currently I confess I am not living in such a way that is drawing others to Christ as I still live too self-centered.
If you actually believe that, should you spend more time bringing your life to be a reflection of the Savior and less time attacking CA's for the same faults?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

silentreader wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:33 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:51 am Perhaps when new people, especially the unchurched, are not being saved in one's local church, then it might be time to look at what the NT says draws people to the born again Christian life.

Currently I confess I am not living in such a way that is drawing others to Christ as I still live too self-centered.
If you actually believe that, should you spend more time bringing your life to be a reflection of the Savior and less time attacking CA's for the same faults?
Thankyou for your input.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Religious Freedom: Anabaptists have historically championed the idea of religious freedom for all, advocating for the right of individuals to freely practice their faith without persecution.

When I read this I got to wondering if this freedom to 'freely practice their faith' is true within certain groups of Anabaptists. One can champion the right of religious freedoms apart from other religious groups but within the group, have very little tolerance for religious freedom within the group. I guess that is one of the reasons why there are so many different Anabaptist groups that require adherence to a specific groups requirements in how one must practise their faith. Thoughts on this one ?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:55 pmOne can champion the right of religious freedoms apart from other religious groups but within the group, have very little tolerance for religious freedom within the group. I guess that is one of the reasons why there are so many different Anabaptist groups that require adherence to a specific groups requirements in how one must practise their faith. Thoughts on this one ?
??

If someone wants to be part of my church that means they are giving up their “freedom” to be part of another one or to disagree with our church’s Bible doctrines.
0 x