ChatGPT Summarizes the Tenets of Anabaptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: ChatGPT Summarizes the Tenets of Anabaptism

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:47 pm I will repeat myself: no one can promote homosexuality and enter the kingdom of heaven.

Ken, Christianity isn’t a democracy and Christian doctrine and practice is not determined by conducting polls.
I stand firmly with Josh on this question.

Again, now-a-days it is said that no one can "define" what another person or group is, or isn't, that only the person him or herself can do that. Well, the Person who certainly CAN is Jesus, and he already did so clearly. (Jesus revealed Himself to the apostle Paul - then Saul the great persecutor of The Way - so don't ask me where in the "Red Letters" one can find Jesus saying this about these full of sin people who claim that they can at the same time be 'Christian". It is clear throughout Scripture that practicing this sin is rebellion against God. It really matters not at all how many self-described Christians claim to support homosexual marriage or practice.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:47 pm I will repeat myself: no one can promote homosexuality and enter the kingdom of heaven.

Ken, Christianity isn’t a democracy and Christian doctrine and practice is not determined by conducting polls.
You sound very sure of yourself.

Are these Christians who you say can no longer serve in the Pentagon because there was a rainbow flag on some web site, the same Christians who tripped over themselves rushing to endorse Trump and serve in the Trump Administration despite the fact that he is a twice divorced serial adulterer who brought more lying, cheating, stealing and other assorted sins to the White House than any other president in history?
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:35 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:16 pm Ken, who do you believe is going to heaven? Assuming you believe in heaven.
All decent people
All decent Christians
All Christians
All Christians with reasonably sound doctrine and practice (subjective of course)
I don't think it is for me to say. I do my best to live an ethical and moral life and leave the world a better place according to basic Christian tenants and other higher ideals.

I do not, however, believe in a God who would condemn the majority of humanity to eternal punishment and torture in hell. That would make God more misanthropic and sadistic than all the world's worst dictators combined.

How about you? What percentage of humanity do you think is going to heaven? And what percentage do you think will be tortured for eternity in hell?
This question was not addressed to me, but this post appeared while I was writing the other one. So here goes.

You are correct - It isn't up to you, or me, or any of us. We do not need to decide - it is already decided. It may be helpful to look at this "condemning to hell" business from God's point of view. He has made a full and completely free option available. He is in the saving business whole-heartedly. It is sin and rebellion that condemns. God does not desire that any one choose to go to hell - He desires that all would be saved. But unfortunently not all accept it.
5 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:41 pm

Are these Christians who you say can no longer serve in the Pentagon because there was a rainbow flag on some web site, the same Christians who tripped over themselves rushing to endorse Trump and serve in the Trump Administration despite the fact that he is a twice divorced serial adulterer who brought more lying, cheating, stealing and other assorted sins to the White House than any other president in history?
Huh?

Let’s talk about the New Testament. It says there won’t be sexually immoral people on the kingdom of heaven. The end.

Present day politics are irrelevant to the topic at hand, although I will gladly point out both the Trump and Obama administrations embraced and promoted homosexuality. Sin is sin regardless of who’s promoting it.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:47 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:41 pm

Huh?

Let’s talk about the New Testament. It says there won’t be sexually immoral people on the kingdom of heaven. The end.

Present day politics are irrelevant to the topic at hand, although I will gladly point out both the Trump and Obama administrations embraced and promoted homosexuality. Sin is sin regardless of who’s promoting it.
Exactly. It's actually OK to be sure about the truth.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:47 pmLet’s talk about the New Testament. It says there won’t be sexually immoral people on the kingdom of heaven. The end.
Ah, but now you are changing your tune. Previously you wrote:
"I will repeat myself: no one can promote homosexuality and enter the kingdom of heaven."
Which is not at all the same thing.

Are you talking about 1 Corinthians 6:9? It says nothing about people who are simply welcoming of those who are different from them. If "promoting" a sinner prevents one from entering the kingdom of heaven then clearly everyone who has promoted Trump's election lies and swindles will also not enter the kingdom of heaven. Which includes a large portion of the people here on MennoNet. Trump is a proven liar and swindler and therefore excluded from the kingdom of heaven by the same verse you are quoting. And by your same logic, everyone who promotes Trump and repeats his lies is also excluded from the kingdom of heaven. And that is the TRUTH according to the Bible.

By the time we are done judging people here on earth, heaven is going to be a very empty place.
Last edited by Ken on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:50 pm If "promoting" a sinner prevents one from entering the kingdom of heaven then clearly everyone who has promoted Trump's election lies and swindles will also not enter the kingdom of heaven. Which includes a large portion of the people here on MennoNet.
Baloney
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:54 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:50 pm If "promoting" a sinner prevents one from entering the kingdom of heaven then clearly everyone who has promoted Trump's election lies and swindles will also not enter the kingdom of heaven. Which includes a large portion of the people here on MennoNet.
Baloney
It certainly includes Josh who has repeated and promoted Trump's election lies right here on this forum.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken,

Romans 1 specifically talks about those who promote homosexuality:
For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
The New Testament is really clear that those who follow God can’t give approval to practising “debased” things which “ought not to be done” and which are “contrary to nature”.

This is about sin, not sinners. This is not about the person who struggles with homosexual urges. This is about the person who fully affirms and promotes such a person giving in to sin. It is analogous to someone who struggles with beating his side being told, “Go ahead. Indulge yourself. Hit her as much as you want. It’s fine.” Or it is analogous to the preachers who tickled the ears of slave owners, telling them it was OK to buy and own chattel slaves, because the slaves weren’t fully human anyway.

Anabaptism is about following and obeying the clear message of scripture and one of those is that we ought not to uphold and support blatant sin.
2 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:58 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:54 pm
Baloney
It certainly includes Josh who has repeated and promoted Trump's election lies right here on this forum.
I would like to respectfully request that political arguments stay in the Politics sub forum.

Thank you.
0 x