ChatGPT Summarizes the Tenets of Anabaptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: ChatGPT Summarizes the Tenets of Anabaptism

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:31 pm On the topic of separation of church and state:

I see no blending of church and state in any of those examples.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Transgenderism is remarkably like 5 point Calvinism
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:26 pm
Dan Z wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:23 pm I think Josh is onto something in his observation that advocacy for the principle of Religious Freedom for all is likely a ChatGPT overreach. As a persecuted people, Anabaptists wish for religious freedom, we have sought out places with religious liberty, and we (non-coercively) advocate for our right to live and worship according to our convictions - but Religious Freedom is simply not a part of our spiritual mission in the same way that the other tenets are.
So freedom for me but not for thee?

That seems to be what you are saying. That Anabaptists value their OWN religious freedoms:
  • Conscientious objection from military service
  • Opting out of Social Security, Medicare, etc.
  • Opting out of public schools (Wisconsin v. Yoder)
  • No swearing of oaths
etc.

But don't value religious liberty as a universal principle for OTHERS?

You might well be right in your characterization. But I have never really seen it laid out like that before.
I would say it this way - for me, In one sense, I greatly appreciate Religious Freedom, and I value the opportunity for my family (and my fellow citizens) to live in a context that is free from religious coercion and/or oppression. As an Anabaptist, I adhere to a believer's church theology - which is grounded on freedom to choose to follow Jesus or not. In another sense, however, I believe that "no one comes to the Father" except through Jesus...and in the end "every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord." Thus, while human agency is built into our theology, religious pluralism is not a tenet of Anabaptism.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:51 pm I see no blending of church and state in any of those examples.
Practicing Christianity requires not affirming and promoting and celebrating sin. This means the Christian cannot meaningfully be a part of the state anymore.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:13 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:51 pm I see no blending of church and state in any of those examples.
Practicing Christianity requires not affirming and promoting and celebrating sin. This means the Christian cannot meaningfully be a part of the state anymore.
I thought you said above that correctly practicing Christians aren't involved with the state. Which is it?

In any event, a majority of Christians support LGBT rights and disagree with you.

Did you feel the same way when the Pentagon celebrated Eid al-Fitr on its web page? That was actually a real blending of church and state unlike the rainbow flag. How can you be a part of the state that celebrates false prophets? What does your Bible say about associating with false prophets and false doctrine?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:53 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:13 pm
I thought you said above that correctly practicing Christians aren't involved with the state. Which is it?
I don't think they should be, but this goes to show that the state, as opposed to being "neutral", is actively anti-Christian. The Christian has no way to be a part of this or to even be adjacent to it.
In any event, a majority of Christians support LGBT rights and disagree with you.
That is entirely false. One cannot be a Christian and at the same time disobey the Bible's clear teachings.
Did you feel the same way when the Pentagon celebrated Eid al-Fitr on its web page? That was actually a real blending of church and state unlike the rainbow flag. How can you be a part of the state that celebrates false prophets? What does your Bible say about associating with false prophets and false doctrine?
Celebrating Eid al-Fitr does not bother me in the slightest. There is nothing wrong with fasting, nor is there anything wrong with a time of celebration to end a period of fasting. It is to a large degree a cultural function although it has significant for religious people too. This is no different than celebrating by putting a Christmas tree in the lobby of a government building. It does not hurt or bother anyone, and it also does not demand anyone engage in sinful, wicked practices.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:04 pm
That is entirely false. One cannot be a Christian and at the same time disobey the Bible's clear teachings.
No, what I wrote is true. And the number is rising.

0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I will repeat myself: no one can promote homosexuality and enter the kingdom of heaven.

Ken, Christianity isn’t a democracy and Christian doctrine and practice is not determined by conducting polls.
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken, who do you believe is going to heaven? Assuming you believe in heaven.
All decent people
All decent Christians
All Christians
All Christians with reasonably sound doctrine and practice (subjective of course)
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:16 pm Ken, who do you believe is going to heaven? Assuming you believe in heaven.
All decent people
All decent Christians
All Christians
All Christians with reasonably sound doctrine and practice (subjective of course)
I don't think it is for me to say. I do my best to live an ethical and moral life and leave the world a better place according to basic Christian tenants and other higher ideals.

I do not, however, believe in a God who would condemn the majority of humanity to eternal punishment and torture in hell. That would make God more misanthropic and sadistic than all the world's worst dictators combined.

How about you? What percentage of humanity do you think is going to heaven? And what percentage do you think will be tortured for eternity in hell?
0 x