101 last chances?!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

101 last chances?!

Post by steve-in-kville »

This subject has been on my mind for some time. Mostly looking back at situations in my life where I should have bailed out a lot sooner than I did: church situations that turned sour, jobs that had a bad culture, relationships that were outright toxic, for lack of a better word.

At what point does one stop giving bad situations "another six months" or another chance to prove something good can come out of a relationship? I have no real direction for this thread. Just want to hear about your experiences when you should have bailed on something a lot sooner than you did.
3 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: 101 last chances?!

Post by MaxPC »

In my experiences, I found that by the time I was in my late 30s and early 40s, I saw a pattern to situations and behaviors and simply knew that it was not for me. I was able to recognise those patterns based upon past experiences.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

MaxPC wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:22 pm In my experiences, I found that by the time I was in my late 30s and early 40s, I saw a pattern to situations and behaviors and simply knew that it was not for me. I was able to recognise those patterns based upon past experiences.
This makes total sense. I believe in having a "gut feeling." Id something feels off, it usually is 8-)
1 x

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:08 pm This subject has been on my mind for some time. Mostly looking back at situations in my life where I should have bailed out a lot sooner than I did: church situations that turned sour, jobs that had a bad culture, relationships that were outright toxic, for lack of a better word.

At what point does one stop giving bad situations "another six months" or another chance to prove something good can come out of a relationship? I have no real direction for this thread. Just want to hear about your experiences when you should have bailed on something a lot sooner than you did.
There are times I should have bailed out on discussions here and still times I don't and later regret I hadn't. I realize this can be frustrating to someone that has trouble walking away until they believe their point is beyond refuting. Some here are quite good at this walking away when they deem it not worth engaging further. They don't need the last word. I won't mention their name but one person here is very good at this imo and I hope someday to be much better at that myself.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville

Sudsy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:09 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:08 pm This subject has been on my mind for some time. Mostly looking back at situations in my life where I should have bailed out a lot sooner than I did: church situations that turned sour, jobs that had a bad culture, relationships that were outright toxic, for lack of a better word.

There are times I should have bailed out on discussions here and still times I don't and later regret I hadn't. I realize this can be frustrating to someone that has trouble walking away until they believe their point is beyond refuting. Some here are quite good at this walking away when they deem it not worth engaging further. They don't need the last word. I won't mention their name but one person here is very good at this imo and I hope someday to be much better at that myself.
There has been more than one thread I started in the morning and by mid-afternoon it was so jack-wagoned that I simply abandoned it. Frustrating, for sure.
0 x

justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:05 am There has been more than one thread I started in the morning and by mid-afternoon it was so jack-wagoned that I simply abandoned it. Frustrating, for sure.
have you been able to figure out if it is the same culprits every time?
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
steve-in-kville

justme wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:40 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:05 am There has been more than one thread I started in the morning and by mid-afternoon it was so jack-wagoned that I simply abandoned it. Frustrating, for sure.
have you been able to figure out if it is the same culprits every time?
No comment ;)
1 x

HeIsRisen
Affiliation: Apostolic

Post by HeIsRisen »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:08 pm At what point does one stop giving bad situations "another six months" or another chance to prove something good can come out of a relationship?
When I was younger I really had a hard time accepting that you just can't please everyone so I got myself wrapped up in friendships that were toxic. As I got older, I realized that this is an impossible expectation, and sometimes people act crazy and there is nothing I can do about that. (And I need to do my best not acting crazy, too)

When do I shake the dust off my shoes? When I am dealing with someone who is exhibiting little self control and/or very self focused so they twist straight forward statements that have nothing to do with them or their intellect but generally find reasons to be offended. These people also tend to be gossips. If things aren't changing and they're just stirring up chaos, I will mark and avoid.

To me, mark and avoid doesn't mean just act like they don't exist, but is more like be helpful, loving kind when needed, but with boundaries. (Ex: I don't speak with this person in private settings or be caught alone in rooms with them. I think it's called the Billy Graham rule. Works well for all sorts of scenarios)
0 x