“Go and sin some more”

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

“Go and sin some more”

Post by Josh »

PRIDE month is about to be upon us, and certain people who claim to be Christians and Anabaptists will be fully participating.

One popular slogan is “Go And Sin Some More”, which would seem to fly directly in the face of when Jesus said to “go and sin no more”.

Likewise, pride itself is, in the Bible, a sin. The believer seeks to be rid of all pride. Yet we are faced with a society-wide celebration of “pride”.

Is it possible for a believer to support “pride” and “go and sin no more”, or does doing so reveal them to have abandoned the way of Jesus and to be serving a different master? Will there be “pride” marches in heaven? Or will heaven be a place free from pride and sin?
2 x
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Re: “Go and sin some more”

Post by Franklin »

Seems consistent with Martin Luther.
http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apo ... luther.htm
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:44 amOne popular slogan is “Go And Sin Some More”
Doesn't seem to be a "popular slogan". Seems to be part of a parody done by one group called "the Sin Sity Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence", according to your article. The article itself, at least, does not claim that this is a widespread, popular slogan.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:36 pm
Josh wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:44 amOne popular slogan is “Go And Sin Some More”
Doesn't seem to be a "popular slogan". Seems to be part of a parody done by one group called "the Sin Sity Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence", according to your article. The article itself, at least, does not claim that this is a widespread, popular slogan.
That particular organisation is quite popular and indeed are one of the original founders of the entire PRIDE movement, so yes, I'd say their slogans and catchphrases are integral to the pride movement, and more importantly, represent a lot of what the "pride" movement is.

My overall question still stands, though. What exactly should be the relationship of the Christian to these kind of movements?
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:44 amOr will heaven be a place free from pride and sin?
Yes. This.
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Franklin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:08 pm Seems consistent with Martin Luther.
http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apo ... luther.htm
Luther also wrote:
If you are a preacher of mercy, do not preach an imaginary but the true mercy. If the mercy is true, you must therefore bear the true, not an imaginary sin. God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong [or sin boldly], but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world. We will commit sins while we are here, for this life is not a place where justice resides. We, however, says Peter (2. Peter 3:13), are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth where justice will reign. It suffices that through God’s glory we have recognized the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world. No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day. Do you think such an exalted Lamb paid merely a small price with a meager sacrifice for our sins? Pray hard for you are quite a sinner.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 pm My overall question still stands, though. What exactly should be the relationship of the Christian to these kind of movements?
Pretty much the same as any other sin. Avoid it. Don't dwell on it. Don't make it the center of your thought life. Try to be salt and light to the sinful world around us.

I mean ... some popular political figures also glory in their shame. On both sides of the aisle. There's a lot of that in the world. But it's not where our minds need to be most of the time.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 pm
My overall question still stands, though. What exactly should be the relationship of the Christian to these kind of movements?
Plenty of prayer for the conversion of sinners; and a ten foot pole.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:50 pm
Josh wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 pm My overall question still stands, though. What exactly should be the relationship of the Christian to these kind of movements?
Pretty much the same as any other sin. Avoid it. Don't dwell on it. Don't make it the center of your thought life. Try to be salt and light to the sinful world around us.
So, here's one of the problems. We're about to spend a month completely surrounded/soaked in it. It's impossible to go shopping right now, for example, without seeing a large fraction of the children's clothes blatantly promoting this kind of thing.

Likewise, if one works at all around large corporate clients or employers, one is basically bombarded during June, including requests to participate in various "pride" related activities. I have usually been able to sidestep these by avoiding things since I'm just a contractor, or the smaller startups I worked for didn't expend as much energy on these things. But even that's changing.

Back before I was a Christian, this stuff wasn't as embedded in the culture yet it was still quite significant - I know, because I was an active supporter and promoter of it back then. Even a fairly stodgy employer like American Greetings, owned by Orthodox Jews who would not affirm this kind of thing (somewhat analogous to Hobby Lobby), had an active employee "ally" group. And that was back in 2012!

When I was a kid, my mother loved rainbows and so did I because of the Noah's Ark story. But now we have to be pretty cautious about any clothing that's emblazoned with a rainbow, "pride", or other slogans that affirm sin.
I mean ... some popular political figures also glory in their shame. On both sides of the aisle. There's a lot of that in the world. But it's not where our minds need to be most of the time.
That's a separate topic, but yes, one of my complaints with many right wing politicians is they seem to spend a lot of time reacting or making lots of noise about what their opponents are doing, and not much time at all doing anything constructive to advance their own good policies.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:29 am
Josh wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 pm
Plenty of prayer for the conversion of sinners; and a ten foot pole.
Additionally my wife states that we should continue to dress our children as Christians. Boys in jeans or dress pants, girls in dresses and skirts. Silent witness of our outward demeanor can prick hearts into seeking God too. She suggests that rather than patronising stores that celebrate this evil, that you may wish to shop online at Good's which is a Mennonite store. Church thrift stores also carry children's clothing in addition to adults. My wife notes that she feels we have an obligation to support our Christian stores regardless of denomination. I concur.

I am serious about the prayer and ten foot pole. Numerous warnings about avoiding the company of sinners can be found in the Bible. Saul, before he was Paul, was avoided by the early Christians for fear he would turn them in to the authorities. I would say that he was indeed prayed for, as God did a direct intervention with him on the road to Damascus thus resulting in his conversion and new name.

As for invitations to these events, a simple "We already have obligations on the schedule" suffices nicely without adding any details. Your obligations are to God, your faith, your family. If the person pesters, remember that technique of simply repeating your initial response again: "We already have obligations on the schedule". If necessary, end the conversation and leave the person.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God