Headcovering Fabric

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Headcovering Fabric

Post by Josh »

Because we have the 2,000-year-old Roman Catholic Church, it is clear that baptism by affusion was the practice since the apostles.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:09 pm Because we have the 2,000-year-old Roman Catholic Church, it is clear that baptism by affusion was the practice since the apostles.
Part of the Great Schism between East & West was RC innovations & Changes. It really then is not the same. In fact it probably was RC method that influenced Anabaptist method but the Eastern Orthodox (Catholic in the East) didn't embrace many western ways, At least Catholics still required head covering until the 70s.
Scripture and the discovered "Didache" is more of a reference to validate the immersion baptism but we have the ancient East performing it that way. The Reformation produced both in the west. My whole family was baptized when i was in grade school, The Reformed Church of America, we were sprinkled. German Baptist "Drunkard's"? Why would denominations immerse if the simpler option of sprinkling was the way? But Didache allowed for sprinkling if only option
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The West is as ancient as the East. Neither side can legitimately claim to be more traditional.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:16 pm I am presently reading "Glories Seen & Unseen" A Study of the Head Covering " which i first read about 12 years ago & was instrumental in elaborating on the scriptures and church history for 1900 years, leaving me to start covering my head more than three decades of being a Christian and not covering my head. In the book, there are writers throughout the first 1900 years writing about the literal covering of a Christian woman's head, & some conveying also to cover when out in public-

Anyone who questions head covering at all, should probably get a copy of this book. You will no longer question that it was the practice of the entire church age for 1900 years and it seems to me it's part of the falling away that women quit covering and Men quit understanding it. After reading it, it seemed God really opened my eyes to the natural progression of women to want to rule over men to where we are today with immodesty and gender confusion.

God is not inconsistent in what He teaches, if He said women should not teach men in authority show me where He changes his mind. If we are convinced that He is using women as authoritarian teachers over men, then we are sadly misguided and deceived which we know will happen in the last days.

Because we have the 2,000-year-old Orthodox Christian church, it is clear that baptism by immersion was the practice since the apostles however the Didachi written seem to allow for sprinkling or pouring if a body of water to immerse and was not possible either by weather or availability.
Valerie, to the underlined in your post - to me it is not a matter of God being consistent or not but rather a matter of the NT letters were written to the early church in a specific culture and if one choses to take certain texts in a very literal way of application, then can that person 'cherry pick' what practise they will obey literally and what they won't ? I think we all do 'cherry pick' in our practises compared to the literal NT pattern.

You have a very strong conviction regarding wearing a head covering but I would be quite surprised if you greeted other believers (including men) with a holy kiss or you practise foot washing as was the habit in the early church culture, which was a common on-going practise.

The women in Paul's day did not have the educational opportunities that men did but today this is not the same. To me, this has a lot to do with women in that culture keeping silent and not interrupting in their eagerness to learn. And as you know, I was raised with a lady pastor over our church and have first hand experience in how God used her mightily to save our whole family and relatives and many unchurched people. And she was a great bible teacher. So, when anyone uses NT scriptures as a rule that God can't work today any differently than in early NT times, I'm not buying it. If that is being deceived, then believe as you wish. I'm going with God not being put into this kind of box.

Here is another example - for some 1800 or so years the practise of having 'altar calls' was not literally practised in churches. And we don't have any examples in scripture of these. I believe it was Charles Finney that began this practise. Was Finney wrong to 'add a new practise to the bible' ? Or was Finney lead by the Spirit to begin a practise that Billy Graham and many others used over the years to have people step out and make a public commitment of faith in Jesus ? And although it is true that many 'came forward' at these altar calls and were not born again, still many were and some became pastors and missionaries using the same practise.

I believe there will be a 'falling away' in the last days too but a 'falling away' from the Gospel, as Paul puts it, 'that saves us'. Not a 'falling away' of certain practises in the early church.

With that said, I believe we all should live by our own convictions as the Spirit guides us. At judgment day, if necessary, I believe we will each know where we saw through a glass darkly and only knew in part.

Well, I'm off to visit a church this morning and hope to meet up with brothers and sisters in the Lord I haven't seen for a long time. Have a nice Sunday !
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:07 am You have a very strong conviction regarding wearing a head covering but I would be quite surprised if you greeted other believers (including men) with a holy kiss or you practise foot washing as was the habit in the early church culture, which was a common on-going practise.

Well, I'm off to visit a church this morning and hope to meet up with brothers and sisters in the Lord I haven't seen for a long time. Have a nice Sunday !
Should have come to my church this morning, I would have been honored to wash your feet.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Or mine, the minister lifted holy hands and called on us to do so.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:07 am You have a very strong conviction regarding wearing a head covering but I would be quite surprised if you greeted other believers (including men) with a holy kiss or you practise foot washing as was the habit in the early church culture, which was a common on-going practise.
The early church forbid greeting the opposite gender.
The women in Paul's day did not have the educational opportunities that men did but today this is not the same. To me, this has a lot to do with women in that culture keeping silent and not interrupting in their eagerness to learn. And as you know, I was raised with a lady pastor over our church and have first hand experience in how God used her mightily to save our whole family and relatives and many unchurched people. And she was a great bible teacher. So, when anyone uses NT scriptures as a rule that God can't work today any differently than in early NT times, I'm not buying it. If that is being deceived, then believe as you wish. I'm going with God not being put into this kind of box.
If this actually was the practice basis, you would think God would’ve made allowance for educated women to preach. There were clearly educated women in the early church who wrote letters back-and-forth and studied the Scriptures. They were not permitted to preach or teach men. It is good that sinful women led you to Christ, it is not good that they sinned. This is an example of God using evil for good. When Paul gives me instructions he relates back to the old testament were God ordained the roles of men and women with fall the fall of Adam and Eve. It’s not Paul you’re bucking.
Also if the same basis was true why did God ordain men who are uneducated fishermen?
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

Soloist wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:16 pm Or mine, the minister lifted holy hands and called on us to do so.
I recently started lifting my hands during prayer, feels a bit strange after having folded them all my life.

How high are you lifting them? I have an invisible hand lifting barrier at my shoulders, everything higher feels too charismatic :)
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:24 pm
The early church forbid greeting the opposite gender.
If this actually was the practice basis, you would think God would’ve made allowance for educated women to preach. There were clearly educated women in the early church who wrote letters back-and-forth and studied the Scriptures. They were not permitted to preach or teach men. It is good that sinful women led you to Christ, it is not good that they sinned. This is an example of God using evil for good. When Paul gives me instructions he relates back to the old testament were God ordained the roles of men and women with fall the fall of Adam and Eve. It’s not Paul you’re bucking.
Also if the same basis was true why did God ordain men who are uneducated fishermen?
I could continue giving arguments contrary to what you are saying but since you are going so far as calling women sinners for preaching and teaching men, I will end this discussion with you and note, I specifically addressed my prior post to Valerie.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:22 am I think tomorrow I'm going to drop in and visit our local Baptist church that follows Calvinism as I hear they are growing in numbers. Don't expect to see many head coverings but they do immersion baptism. :D
Had you gone to the same Baptist church as I did this morning, you’d have seen a couple Mennonite coverings.
And heard the preacher affirm Once Saved Always Saved, and the preacher disavow Predestination as “a doctrine scrapped from the walls of Hell”.
No immersion baptisms on the schedule however.
0 x