They speak about"conflict transformation" - but where's the conflict?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

They speak about"conflict transformation" - but where's the conflict?

Post by PetrChelcicky »

That is something I have observed more often in the last years, and nowadays in an "Anabaptist World" article;
"Brooklyn Peace Center serves as a catalyst for peacebuilding and conflict transformation in Brooklyn, New York City"

I think that "conflict transformation" is a fascinating idea, so I read this with the question: What conflict do they transform here in what way? And in the end I must say that no conflict ever appears in the whole article. They can't even hint at what the conflicting parties are, or what kind of conflict there is: a conflict of interests (which interests)?`A conflict of values (which values)?"
I think that the first step in conflict transformation is, to get a clear idea about the conflict.
That here is a moment where warning bells are ringing in my head.
All Christians have a strong tradition of conflict aversion. Which leads to conflict denial. Which in practical life often leads to conflict suppression. A popular idea is that there are no "true" or "authentic" conflicts, but only obnoxious people who "create" conflicts, and isn't it the best way to suppress all obnoxious people, so all conflicts will disappear?
Would be glad to say that Mennonites have overcome that view, but don't think so.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: They speak about"conflict transformation" - but where's the conflict?

Post by MaxPC »

Excellent queries, Petr. The article certainly exemplifies a vague notion rather than a specific and concrete plan of action.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God