"The Quiet in the Land" queries

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

"The Quiet in the Land" queries

Post by MaxPC »

Where did the nomenclature "The Quiet in the Land" originate?

What is its original meaning?

Does it hold the same meaning in the present era?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: "The Quiet in the Land" queries

Post by Soloist »

1Ti 2:2  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:43 am Where did the nomenclature "The Quiet in the Land" originate?

What is its original meaning?

Does it hold the same meaning in the present era?
I cannot fully answer your questions, but I have heard this as referring to my people in both a positive and a negative sense.

Positive: As the apostle Paul says, we are to live quite lives, not 'stirring up trouble'. This was applied in the sense of not meddling in the national affairs of the guest country.

Negative: One of the main stipulations set for the Mennonites coming from Prussia (a German-speaking nation-state which is now a part of Poland) to the Russian Empire's newly acquired lands in what is now Ukraine. (Variously referred to as 'New Russia', or 'South Russia' in both birth, marriage, & death records within my people's usage, and later as "The Ukraine'.)
'Proselytization' was strictly forbidden (especially in reference to the Russian Orthodox), and it was a condition that had to be met in order to be allowed to settle there. So this people who had been evangelistic from their beginnings in Holland, were required to "zip it". So compliance with this law is criticized as having lost spiritual zeal, having become "quiet in the land", thus betraying their Lord and God.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Soloist wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:55 am
1Ti 2:2  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty
Also the martyr mentality may have turned them to Psalm 35:20...
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Many early Anabaptists became the quiet in the land because the discovered that if they are quieter, they get less persecution and less hassle. Some even agreed to not proselytize in exchange for no military service and the freedom to worship as they pleased.

Here is a book on the topic. www.amazon.com/Quiet-Peaceable-Life-Peo ... 1561482323
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:55 am
I wish I could have added these verses, 1 Timothy 2:1-2 in the locked thread about Honoring The King viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5659&start=30 . Specifically, I think that 1 Timothy is helpful in the question of why we should honor the king - it is for our own wellbeing. And I think that it also mildly supports the notion that kings are not that different in terms of honor, prayer, thanks, etc, than all men. In verse 1 it mentions all men, and then in verse 4 it again mentions all men.
1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
3 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Max,
A document that you might find interesting in respect to this question. (This is specifically about the Dutch Mennonite experience/history.)

https://russianmennonites.blogspot.com/ ... -land.html
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:15 pm Max,
A document that you might find interesting in respect to this question. (This is specifically about the Dutch Mennonite experience/history.)

Thank you, Neto. It looks interesting; I will peruse it this weekend.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Neto

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:31 pm

I should have mentioned - the author of this blog is an accomplished author on all things to do with the Dutch Mennonites, and he writes very honestly and candidly about the guilt my people share regarding the persecution of the Jewish people during WW II. There is a LOT of information there. (I became acquainted with his work through participation on a FaceBook group specializing in Dutch Mennonite History and Genealogy. He has a lot more connections with that more recent history in Ukraine and Russia than I - his parents immigrated from there to Canada, while I am 3rd and fourth generation North American born, with all my ancestors having left by 1891.)
1 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:43 pm
MaxPC wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:31 pm

I should have mentioned - the author of this blog is an accomplished author on all things to do with the Dutch Mennonites, and he writes very honestly and candidly about the guilt my people share regarding the persecution of the Jewish people during WW II. There is a LOT of information there. (I became acquainted with his work through participation on a FaceBook group specializing in Dutch Mennonite History and Genealogy. He has a lot more connections with that more recent history in Ukraine and Russia than I - his parents immigrated from there to Canada, while I am 3rd and fourth generation North American born, with all my ancestors having left by 1891.)
It seems to me that he is willing to address all aspects of this history, warts as well as high points: true scholarship.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)