The Anabaptist perception towards penmanship!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Your natural & preferred style of writing?

Print
38%
Cursive
38%
Both
15%
I never learned how to write.
8%

Total votes: 13

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

The Anabaptist perception towards penmanship!

Post by steve-in-kville »

Haven't been posting much the past few days. My occupation dynamics got switched up as I took on some new projects. But I digress...

Our public schools don't really touch on penmanship any more. My wife and I naturally write in cursive, and I admire people who do as well... especially men. Us guys are not known for legible writing, much less writing in cursive.

Add to that, I am a pen and paper snob. I am picky about what pens I use. Keep in mind that writing and taking notes is a huge part pf my job, plus I keep multiple journals both professionally and personally.

So, fun poll and thread. Vote, tell stories, make comments, etc. Do our parochial schools still teach cursive? Is penmanship still graded?
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards penmanship!

Post by QuietlyListening »

Schools aren't teaching cursive like they used to, all is on computer. A few do, no sure if my grandchildren have learned it as they rarely write anything to me.

My husband's cursive is terrible but as he learned drafting as part of his engineering education and this was before CAD, he prints very well. My cursive is not good but my printing can be good if I take time.

As for signatures- my children and husband slur theirs, I have the most legible signature.

Bringing this up I want to see if my 2 oldest grands have learned cursive, the next is in first grade and youngest is almost 3. :)
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

They teach cursive in our schools, I learned but I’m horrible at writing. Despite my poor writing, my hand notes are legible compared to 99% of the nurses I work with
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Despite my poor writing, my hand notes are legible compared to 99% of the nurses I work with
Soloist- you actually still do hand notes? I thought all places- hospitals, home care etc were computer notes. When I left home care nursing about 12 years ago it was all computer and on a phone sadly- hard to write on a phone- can't even do regular keyboard typing. Just curious.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I have terrible handwriting. Part of the problem is that I never learned to hold a pen properly despite my mother's best efforts to teach me. I still remember sitting at the table and resisuting her instructions.

Many of my students have worse handwriting than I do. Some of them prefer to write assignments by hand, but I can barely decipher it.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:55 am
Despite my poor writing, my hand notes are legible compared to 99% of the nurses I work with
Soloist- you actually still do hand notes? I thought all places- hospitals, home care etc were computer notes. When I left home care nursing about 12 years ago it was all computer and on a phone sadly- hard to write on a phone- can't even do regular keyboard typing. Just curious.
Maxim recently changed to electronic and have been rolling it out nationwide, I started with them on paper. My first job we did the primary note on Therap and paper MAR and TAR. We did any special note on paper as well. I briefly worked with a 1099 that was all paper before escaping that disaster.
The other two companies I worked with were electronic charting, both are not very good charting systems. Honestly these electronic charting systems slow down the work flow massively and I wanted to show the neurologist the seizure log and couldn’t… the system wasn’t designed for what we actually need.
When the hospitals do go on paper charting for internet outrage… everyone loses their brains. Nursing school they sent us home. Apparently their insurance wouldn’t cover us for paper charting.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Whenever I need to fill out a from form by hand and it states to "please print", I always end up doing half print, half cursive.

Add to that, my *official* signature has almost no resemblance to my name. But the bank accepts it 8-)
Last edited by steve-in-kville on Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

i marvel at some of the neat penmanship from the older generation.
i despair over my own penmanship. it is getting worse, and sometimes i can't even read my own writing.
1 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

justme wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:39 am i marvel at some of the neat penmanship from the older generation.
i despair over my own penmanship. it is getting worse, and sometimes i can't even read my own writing.
Yes, the beautiful handwriting of my sister who is 81 is something else. And a lady at church last night said her husband (75) has excellent handwriting, too.

Due to loss of control, my hands produce sorry, indecipherable handwriting, even with slow, careful trying. So I love my laptop. :)
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I checked the bottom one. Because I'm left-handed, I never learned to 'right'.

I know how to write cursive, but by the 8th grade it had become so illegible that I abandoned it, and went back to printing (except for writing checks, and for my signature). In the summer of 2018, while we were cleaning out my parents' house, I looked through a box my mom had found of my old papers. I don't know where she had put them at some time in the past, because I reckon I left that all in "my' drawer in the bedroom dresser. Anyway, I came across some papers I had written for 8th grade English class, and I have to wonder how my teacher was able to make out what I had written.

(As I said, I'm left=handed, like my grandmother. When she was in school, she got a wack across her hand every time the teacher caught her writing with her left hand. So she wrote right-handed. I remember how my first grade teacher drew a diagram on the blackboard for the 'correct' position of our Chief tablet. So I positioned mine like you would for the right-handers. That means the hand drags across what you've just written. You have to do that anyway, or the letters will slant back to the left. Anyone "feel my pain"? (There was a girl in our youth group at church - MBY - who was also left-handed, and we could both write from right to left - "backwards" to you right-handers - and we could read each others notes just fine. Thank you.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.