The Anabaptist perception towards penmanship!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Your natural & preferred style of writing?

Print
38%
Cursive
38%
Both
15%
I never learned how to write.
8%

Total votes: 13

Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards penmanship!

Post by Neto »

justme wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:39 am i marvel at some of the neat penmanship from the older generation.
i despair over my own penmanship. it is getting worse, and sometimes i can't even read my own writing.
One of my Dad's cousins & I write back & forth occasionally, and her handwriting looks like calligraphy. And that's how she writes all of the time, too. It is to wonder, HOW?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

My mom, who was left handed, had great penmanship- they tried to make her a righty but she resisted.
My dad's was as good a most doctor's which was indecipherable. Both from the older generation. :)

But I agree, many of the older generation- and to me that is those who are in their upper 80s and 90s have better penmanship than my generation and younger ones. Think they concentrated on it more.

I will say sometimes I mix cursive and printing and other times it issues all cursive, usually not all printing unless I am trying to make something especially neat like writing out a poem or scripture to a friend in a card or letter- that obviously is not email. :)
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

When the hospitals do go on paper charting for internet outrage… everyone loses their brains. Nursing school they sent us home. Apparently their insurance wouldn’t cover us for paper charting.
Soloist- I came from the time when nurses charted in color ink- black or blue for days, green for evenings and red for nights or days and evenings are reversed- been awhile. you knew which shift was charting even before you saw the time.
You could read most of the nurses notes- doctors were another story.

Electronic charting is crazy in that it directs you according to how you answered questions on different systems of the body or the diagnosis and if you had other observations difficult to find a place to put them. Think it's a real weakness in electronic charting and doctors often talk to you from the computer questions and much is left out or forgotten. But this isn't about electronic writing but cursive and printing. :)
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:29 pm Soloist- I came from the time when nurses charted in color ink- black or blue for days, green for evenings and red for nights or days and evenings are reversed- been awhile. you knew which shift was charting even before you saw the time.
You could read most of the nurses notes- doctors were another story.
That is fascinating!
My father would say “if your note was projected up on a screen in court, you need to be able to read your own writing”
I had a doctor who wrote an order and had me bring it to a pharmacist. The pharmacist couldn’t read it and sent it back. The doctor couldn’t read it and didn’t remember what it was for… :roll: that was a prime example of why writing skill is important.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I have to take notes weekly as secretary of a non-profit. I have bad handwriting, but when typing up the notes I'm able to figure out over 90% of what I wrote. Which reminds me--I don't like to type the notes on Sunday and our meeting is on Monday, so I better get to it.
0 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

My one brother has really neat handwriting. Mine tends to be rather untidy and I generally use a blend of cursive and print. If I start out in print, I often end up using cursive as its faster.

My youngest children didn't do as much cursive writing as the older ones did.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Someone asked about parochial schools. Yes, they still teach cursive in the parochial schools with which I am familiar. Of course, my generation emphasised it. It was considered the mark of intelligence and education in my youth.

Handwriting information cements it to memory for the most part (unless there is a neuro-atypical issue). It is part and parcel of the way the human brain and body interacts. Typing on a keyboard does not achieve the same level of affixation for memory.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Most Old Order and Ultra conservative Anabaptist schools still place emphasis on neat handwriting I believe.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Anyone else here a pen snob? I have a certain gel pen that I mail order, just for work use. I also own a few fountain pens that see some light desk work and maybe journaling.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:09 am Anyone else here a pen snob? I have a certain gel pen that I mail order, just for work use. I also own a few fountain pens that see some light desk work and maybe journaling.
I am. Nothing but the Uni-ball Signo gel pen, Impact 207.
0 x