Differences between Holdeman and Beachy Amish

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Differences between Holdeman and Beachy Amish

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:55 pm Thats all I will say on this as this issue will not be solved here.
It could be, if you would be willing!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:52 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:10 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:13 pm Agreed. I'm thankful for my church still takes this position. Once a year we have a couple fetence inviting pastors from all over the country (& other countries?) and it's huge but not 1 woman in the pastoral attendance. However women ate appre opted for many other roles as God gives them gifts as well. As soon. Ad I hear a denominationn has drifted from Scripture in this area I no longer get would trust the Holy Spirit is guiding
Which is yet another reason I don't trust Pentecostal and charismatic denominations, as they've had women leaders since their beginnings at Azusa Street.
I had not even realized that u til decades being g in these congregations. Np e of the Ppentecosyal or Charismatic churches I and we were part of had any wo.en ad pastors or elders. Then co.e ro find out the history of Foursquare- well one should look I to the history of a denomination.
Valerie, I wish you would quit posting in an unknown tongue. :lol:
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:55 pm I thought I would get some push back on the woman pastor thing. :lol:

However, I will go with the Anabaptist Greg Boyd and others like N.T. Wright with the egalitarian view. My own experience with a woman pastor leading us and see how God especially has used women in missionary, lead pastor roles to further His Kingdom is adequate proof to me that what Paul wrote in that time and place was appropriate for them but not for everyone in all times and places. Just as foot washing and other early church practises are not required for today. I look forward to more women getting involved teaching men in ministry in pastoral roles.

Thats all I will say on this as this issue will not be solved here.
What other teachings of the New Testament do you believe are not for today? Could you list them for us?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:23 pm Good to hear that women are getting into pastoral roles even through "the back door'. Pentecostals and Salvation Army and others realized years ago that God blesses and works through women just as He does through men. I grew up with a lady pastor who preached and taught many in becoming Christians including my own family. Not to say all women pastors are called but neither are men. What some regard as a slippery slope in this area, others of us regard as a step forward in God buiding His Kingdom. I'm glad to see the Mennonite Brethren giving more women leadership roles and last Sunday's sermon by a lady from the congregation was fantastic. Watched it twice.

My 2 cents supporting any egalitarians here. :)
Well, I hope any woman who pastors isn't the husband of one wife. Or do we ignore that qualification, too, as not being politically correct?
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Joy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:12 pm
Sudsy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:23 pm Good to hear that women are getting into pastoral roles even through "the back door'. Pentecostals and Salvation Army and others realized years ago that God blesses and works through women just as He does through men. I grew up with a lady pastor who preached and taught many in becoming Christians including my own family. Not to say all women pastors are called but neither are men. What some regard as a slippery slope in this area, others of us regard as a step forward in God buiding His Kingdom. I'm glad to see the Mennonite Brethren giving more women leadership roles and last Sunday's sermon by a lady from the congregation was fantastic. Watched it twice.

My 2 cents supporting any egalitarians here. :)
Well, I hope any woman who pastors isn't the husband of one wife. Or do we ignore that qualification, too, as not being politically correct?
Already happened in MCUSA.' One of the New Mexican congregations as of 2 years ago.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I was going to make a joke about that, but then decided it wasn’t remotely funny. Just sad.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:06 pm What other teachings of the New Testament do you believe are not for today? Could you list them for us?
No, sorry, not interested.

I have rose to defend WIM when it comes to women pastors before as I have experienced in the church where my entire family was saved and also have observed in other Christian faith groups that have women in a pastor role such as Aimee Semple McPherson (Foursquare Pentecostal) and Catherine Booth (Salvation Army) and saw how God used them in a mighty way and continues to use many missionary women as pastors throughout the world so when this topic pops up, as it did in this thread and often only gets a negative view of women in a pastoral role, I provide my egalitarian contrary view that even some Anabaptists believe and teach.

I personally do not believe everything written in the New Testament is for today as I have already mentioned foot washing. I believe the Holy Spirit is our guide and that He is not restricted in how He works by how He worked and gave directions in the early NT days. There are many Anabaptists that do not operate in the gifts of the Spirit as they do not believe and give opportunity for them today in their churches. So, imo, Anabaptists have their own beliefs regarding what NT teachings are not for today as do other Christian groups. I don't know of any Christian group that believe all NT teachings are for today and operate in them. Some may think they do but I don't believe it would take much to point out where they don't.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit