Differences between Holdeman and Beachy Amish

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Differences between Holdeman and Beachy Amish

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Valerie wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:52 pm When we drive by Churches that are named "Church of God" how does one distinguish that it is Holdeman or the other other "Church of God" deno.ination. We drove by o e this mor ing I think in Dundee or thereabouts and was wondering (on 93)
There are at least 5 “Church of God” denominations that I have had contact with.

Church of God (Cleveland Tenn.). The Pentecostal church of God
Church of God (Anderson, In.) The Holiness church of God
Church of God, Evening Light— More “Keswick” in it’s theology, similar to Anderson (Fun fact, my former C&MA church may have been influenced by this movement prior to it’s contact with the C&MA, they are quite similar)
Church of God, Restoration-A plain dressing cult that avoids medical care, and is very “One true Church” in its outlook.
Church of God. (Mennonite) - The Holdeman group.

I hope this answers your questions.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:52 pm When we drive by Churches that are named "Church of God" how does one distinguish that it is Holdeman or the other other "Church of God" deno.ination. We drove by o e this mor ing I think in Dundee or thereabouts and was wondering (on 93)
Well, if it’s the early 1900s, look for a sign that says “Church of God in Christ.”

If it’s after 1930 or so, look for it to say “Church of God in Christ, Mennonite.”

The only Holdeman church anywhere near that area is on Kansas Rd in Wayne County. The next nearest one is over in Jeromesville.
0 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Josh wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:06 pm
Well, if it’s the early 1900s, look for a sign that says “Church of God in Christ.”

If it’s after 1930 or so, look for it to say “Church of God in Christ, Mennonite.”

The only Holdeman church anywhere near that area is on Kansas Rd in Wayne County. The next nearest one is over in Jeromesville.
Where is the oldest Holdeman meetinghouse located?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

AndersonD wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:54 pm

I’m not sure but I believe it’s Lone Tree in Kansas.

The original “Johnny Holdeman” church in New Pittsburg, Ohio is long gone. The last services held in Ohio were in 1924, if I recall correctly, until the mission in Hartville was established in the 1950s. (That mission happens to by my home congregation now.)

Edit: Kidron may have been established slightly before Hartville. When I’m at my office tomorrow, I’ll check the Green Book and clear up this history.
0 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Josh wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:56 pm
AndersonD wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:54 pm

I’m not sure but I believe it’s Lone Tree in Kansas.

The original “Johnny Holdeman” church in New Pittsburg, Ohio is long gone. The last services held in Ohio were in 1924, if I recall correctly, until the mission in Hartville was established in the 1950s. (That mission happens to by my home congregation now.)

Edit: Kidron may have been established slightly before Hartville. When I’m at my office tomorrow, I’ll check the Green Book and clear up this history.
Long gone...meetinghouse is not there anymore? And why did it eventually close in New Pittsburg? Lack of members, relocation?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

The entire congregation moved to Kansas.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:42 pm
There are at least 5 “Church of God” denominations that I have had contact with.

Church of God, Evening Light— More “Keswick” in it’s theology, similar to Anderson (Fun fact, my former C&MA church may have been influenced by this movement prior to it’s contact with the C&MA, they are quite similar)
Church of God, Restoration-A plain dressing cult that avoids medical care, and is very “One true Church” in its outlook.

Thank you- I didn't realize there were so many! We have a Church of God close to our house we visited a few times. Not sure if it was any of those. Very conservative (joyful people!) Women all had Ling hair, no covering, longer dresses or skirts- preaching seemed doctrinal sound. To more modern Christian churches they would probably seem "old fashioned".
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Thank you. All the signs I've seen just say Church of God so I apparently haven't driven by a Holdeman Church of God
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:22 pm

Thank you- I didn't realize there were so many! We have a Church of God close to our house we visited a few times. Not sure if it was any of those. Very conservative (joyful people!) Women all had Ling hair, no covering, longer dresses or skirts- preaching seemed doctrinal sound. To more modern Christian churches they would probably seem "old fashioned".
This sounds like church of God, Restoration. If it is, believe me, they are not doctrinally sound.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:22 am
Valerie wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:22 pm

This sounds like church of God, Restoration. If it is, believe me, they are not doctrinally sound.
I did not see "Restoration" on any of their pamphlets. I think I've seen people of Testoration- not the same as these. Here's the link to The Church of God in Medi a

https://www.medinachurchofgod.com/
0 x