beliefs brought by CA seekers

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

beliefs brought by CA seekers

Post by KingdomBuilder »

although in my experience, many seekers unconsciously still believe in fundamentalism and would get very uncomfortable if some fundamentalist beliefs were challenged, like inerrancy
Josh's comment offers an interesting point. This ties into an inward curiosity I've had for some time. I of course seek to embrace Anabaptism, but my entire upbringing took place in a rather homogenized religious scene. For this reason, upon first coming to Anabaptism, I was unaware by exactly what train of thought I'd been most impacted by from my upbringing. To me, my experience was the only "normal" I knew. I wasn't anything other than a Christian as far as I was concerned.
This did and still does get me thinking. I can't help but wonder what unchallenged/ unaddressed areas still exist as a result of experience. I hope this thread can help with some introspection.

I ask you to put yourselves in a seeker's shoes- what beliefs do you imagine many bring with them from their (Evangelical-fundamentalist/ SBC) backgrounds?

*Naturally this question is most suitably answered by CA's, but anyone's input is welcome.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: beliefs brought by CA seekers

Post by Ernie »

Bercot did a series of topics in OH at an Amish-Mennonite church a few years ago on "Understanding JW's".

He indicated that in spite of their wrong teachings, there may be JW's who are saved and that there are a few things we can learn from JW's.
One "seeker" family in the audience nearly went through the roof and commanded the local elders to denounce this heresy or they would quite attending the Amish-Mennonite church. The Amish-Mennonites didn't have a lot of problem with this perspective.

This is an example of what Josh is talking about.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Here were areas that Mennonites told me why they thought we did what we do but had off assumptions:

Our reasoning for having an above average number of children.
Why we home school.
A couple ministers told me that they thought I probably knew the bible better than them... :lol: I still wonder if they were joking but said this in seriousness...?
With my wife being raised Catholic and myself atheist it is only natural to have some differing viewpoints and so decisions that happen in our family can be compromises(submitting to one another) by both of us. So when only one agrees with the church on something it likely will cause tension - they can be caught in the middle and then be completely misunderstood why they do or don't do something.

I see much hope for you young and single.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Ernie wrote:The Amish-Mennonites didn't have a lot of problem with this perspective.
No issue with which perspective? That JW's offer something learnable or the perspective of the irate family?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do