Modesty a woman’s opinion?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Modesty a woman’s opinion?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Valerie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:25 am I remember a sister in the Lord who dressed as best she could on Sundays because she said I'm going to worship the King!
I've heard similar things preached in an attempt to get the young men to wear their suit coats to church 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:38 am
Valerie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:25 am I remember a sister in the Lord who dressed as best she could on Sundays because she said I'm going to worship the King!
I've heard similar things preached in an attempt to get the young men to wear their suit coats to church 8-)
I happen to appreciate that thought. If you were going to meet the king, would you wear your torn up jeans or sleazy looking clothing or short shorts on a guy etc or would you put on your best clothing? We have friends that are Orthodox Christian and the women in the family dress very much like Amish very covered and modest and they're very beautiful. I asked him if it feels awkward for them and say a store like Walmart where they go and he said if it causes people to think about God it may be the only thought about God they think all day
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

So, is this modest dress ?

0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Hot take: modesty is more or less cultural training in being conditioned to be uncomfortable or not around certain parts of people’s uncovered anatomy.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sliceitup wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:43 pm Hot take: modesty is more or less cultural training in being conditioned to be uncomfortable or not around certain parts of people’s uncovered anatomy.
So why did God say not to uncover a woman? Including was a reference to head covering by the way when you look at the word uncover.
I think it’s pretty clear what was meant by uncover.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:53 am So, is this modest dress ?

I didn’t watch it, but from the cover image they look covered and modest. Just different culture
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:43 pm Hot take: modesty is more or less cultural training in being conditioned to be uncomfortable or not around certain parts of people’s uncovered anatomy.
Summoning Jim in 3... 2... 1...
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:30 pm
Summoning Jim in 3... 2... 1...
i look forward to Neto’s insights on it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:49 pm
Sudsy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:53 am So, is this modest dress ?

I didn’t watch it, but from the cover image they look covered and modest. Just different culture
So, in a different culture, these ladies can wear makeup, jewelry of sorts, bright colours and this would be considered modest apparel regardless of what 1 Timothy 2:9 might be understood as some women understand this to not even wear a gold wedding band ?

Here is a definition of modest dressing I ran across -
A woman can be described as modest when she avoids doing or wearing anything that might cause other people to have sexual feelings towards her.
If this is a good definition then what Paul was getting at in the 1 Timothy 2 text was not to be taking these things literally but rather as examples of what can be used to attract the wrong kind of attention when the attention women should attract are good deeds as stated in verse 10.

Thoughts ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:05 pm So, in a different culture, these ladies can wear makeup, jewelry of sorts, bright colours and this would be considered modest apparel regardless of what 1 Timothy 2:9 might be understood as some women understand this to not even wear a gold wedding band ?
I was speaking to the clothing. There is zero chance I could tell that these women were wearing makeup from the little YouTube preview. I also didn’t see jewelry. Therefore please consider my comments only related to how the outfit covered the body.
I would be of the opinion that makeup is a very negative thing and I pity the women who think they have to wear it to be attractive. Scripture clearly says that a woman’s beauty should not come from outward things.
Makeup is putting on a fake front and doesn’t make a woman prettier
Jewelry is a waste of money aside from the same scripture’s.
Here is a definition of modest dressing I ran across -
A woman can be described as modest when she avoids doing or wearing anything that might cause other people to have sexual feelings towards her.
If this is a good definition then what Paul was getting at in the 1 Timothy 2 text was not to be taking these things literally but rather as examples of what can be used to attract the wrong kind of attention when the attention women should attract are good deeds as stated in verse 10.

Thoughts ?
I would say it includes that but is not limited to it.
0 x