Modesty a woman’s opinion?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Modesty a woman’s opinion?

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 am
Valerie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:03 am I happen to appreciate that thought. If you were going to meet the king, would you wear your torn up jeans or sleazy looking clothing or short shorts on a guy etc or would you put on your best clothing? We have friends that are Orthodox Christian and the women in the family dress very much like Amish very covered and modest and they're very beautiful. I asked him if it feels awkward for them and say a store like Walmart where they go and he said if it causes people to think about God it may be the only thought about God they think all day
I have known Orthodox my entire life, including growing up in one of the highest concentrations of Greeks in the world. I have yet to meet any Orthodox who "dress very much like Amish".
The Greek Orthodox are different. Russian would still be more modest and cover their heads. The Greek Orthodox women do not cover their heads generally speaking kind of fallen by the wayside
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:45 pm
The Greek Orthodox are different. Russian would still be more modest and cover their heads. The Greek Orthodox women do not cover their heads generally speaking kind of fallen by the wayside
I'm still waiting for an American to declare they have their own patriarch like Russia did.

Generally speaking, I think no one wants to be American Orthodox, they want to be Russian or Greek or whatever.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:03 am I happen to appreciate that thought. If you were going to meet the king, would you wear your torn up jeans or sleazy looking clothing or short shorts on a guy etc or would you put on your best clothing? We have friends that are Orthodox Christian and the women in the family dress very much like Amish very covered and modest and they're very beautiful. I asked him if it feels awkward for them and say a store like Walmart where they go and he said if it causes people to think about God it may be the only thought about God they think all day
I have known Orthodox my entire life, including growing up in one of the highest concentrations of Greeks in the world. I have yet to meet any Orthodox who "dress very much like Amish".
I’ve also known Russian Orthodox people and, charitably speaking, I would not describe their day to day attire as anything different from the rest of the world. I have yet to meet any who dress remotely similar to Amish.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:48 pm I have yet to meet any who dress remotely similar to Amish.
Nor do they have Plain Orthodox websites with photos of Amish kitchens. :-|
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I did spend some time with some archaically-dressed Byzantine priests last weekend, who whilst not Eastern Orthodox were eastern orthodox. I’m not sure if they were plain or fancy. One was sporting sandals (for further discussion refer to the shoes thread) and both had on very plain black cossacks.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Josh wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:48 pm

I’ve also known Russian Orthodox people and, charitably speaking, I would not describe their day to day attire as anything different from the rest of the world. I have yet to meet any who dress remotely similar to Amish.
Check out Old Believer Russian Orthodox. It's interesting.
0 x