Weddings

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Weddings

Post by Grace »

You're burying the lede here. What scandalous thing did the couple do? Kiss?
We were at a Conservative Anabaptist wedding once and so-o-o much ado was made by the minister and the bishop, that this couple had, had a hands-off relationship. And when they joined hands to be married it was the first time they held hands...so forth and so on. I do think hands off relationships are great, but a little less "hands on" after the wedding ceremony would have been appropriate. It was embarrassing. For this particular couple there was no greeting line, because right after the ceremony the couple found a Sunday School room and locked themselves in it, for a l-o-n-g time. Everyone was wondering where they were. Fortunately the reception was just a help yourself finger food/snack style reception. Everyone had "helped themselves" to the food, by the time the couple finally appeared.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:13 pm
You're burying the lede here. What scandalous thing did the couple do? Kiss?
IIRC, when the bishop introduced them to the congregation, the groomsmen and the bridal party turned and faced the audience, which apparently was not allowed or was considered too "showy." This was the mid/late 90's if that helps.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:30 pm Everyone had "helped themselves" to the food, by the time the couple finally appeared.
Sounds like someone else was helping themselves ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:11 am Many churches and priests are faced with multiple Sacraments on the same day: Baptisms, Weddings, Anointings of the Sick; Funerals, Anniversary Masses. Some parishes have to be booked months in advance for these events.
While the efficient use of facilities is important, I have to wonder how well this works for funerals. ;)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:34 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:11 am Many churches and priests are faced with multiple Sacraments on the same day: Baptisms, Weddings, Anointings of the Sick; Funerals, Anniversary Masses. Some parishes have to be booked months in advance for these events.
While the efficient use of facilities is important, I have to wonder how well this works for funerals. ;)
We have the rules and the General Instruction of the Roman Missal to stand upon. Funerals are routinely replaced with Memorial Masses when the funeral itself cannot be held before burial. If Someone dies shortly before or during Easter Holy Week, the norm is to have a later Memorial Funeral Mass.

It is as much about consideration of others who have those activities following the funeral as it is about self-discipline in latitude for personal preferences. A wedding coming in after a funeral is supposed to be finished would not appreciate funerals and the casket taking up the sanctuary on their wedding day. In parishes with more than 300 families, the general rule of thumb is to space these events: 2.5-3 hours interim from the scheduled end of one event to the scheduled beginning of the next. That gives the parish time to clear and reset the sanctuary for the next event.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:07 pm While it goes against my personal sensibilities to have extravagant weddings, I have to admit that weddings are one topic that has Biblical support for some celebration and even perhaps extravagance, if you want to use that word. But that doesn't mean that we have to let the world determine the sufficient amount of wild extravagance. I think that extravagance can simply mean that it is above the norm of daily life. If a culture has an extremely simple lifestyle, then their version of extravagance may still not attain to the level of the worlds extravagance. So in the eyes of the world, our weddings may still look simple, while to us, they are still filled with special clothes and food and decorations.
Our church decided that we would delineate between the wedding service and the wedding reception. The wedding service should be simple, with an atmosphere of worship and reverence, with the idea of it being a church service. With the focus on God and not so much the bride being the center of attention, as is the case in un-Godly weddings. And then the reception would be less restrictive, and viewed as more of a celebration. This makes sense to me.

The notable thing to me about the 12 baskets of leftovers, was that Jesus cared about them. He ordered them to be saved as leftovers. He wasn't wasteful - even though the creation of them cost nothing.
We also see that Jesus allowed the woman to wash his feet with expensive perfume. I think that Jesus allowed for extravagance when it is done for the benefit of others. I think that is different than spending on oneself.
A couple thoughts -

1) Nowhere in the NT does it speak of Christians having a wedding ceremony or wedding service.
2) I agree that 'church services' should always be focused on God and no one else.
3) Regarding being extravagant on others - are not the parents being extravagant on their children getting married and not on themselves ?

Imo , there are various traditions involving weddings that are not NT based in every Christian group. I lean toward the view that there are times to celebrate and spend monies that could be used to help the poor, etc. And we especially see this throughout the OT by people we would call believers in God. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Job, to name a few so I have no issue with people having money. However, scripture also says to whom much is given, much will be expected and I think this also applies to our material situation as well as our spiritual gifts. Quite a sobering thought as I consider this.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit