I remember when... three years later

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: I remember when... three years later

Post by steve-in-kville »

I remember getting summoned to HR's office after posting a train video on social media where I was poking fun at the shortages at the time. Learned a lesson there.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Page 290 / Funny thread:
temporal1 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:02 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:02 am
Josh wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:45 am Maintaining 6 (or 10) feet of distance at all times is basically impossible.

:arrow: It’s sad although entertaining to see, for example, in an airport, six feet marked off for standing in lines -
and of course nobody is that far apart. It’s utterly absurd.

The same goes for church. Actually staying that far apart is quite silly, and there’s no reason to do it.
Staying six feet apart from other people is both silly, disrespectful, dehumanising, and also has zero basis in science.
The only reason to do it is to get respect from the world, and even in the world, it’s rare to see anyone still trying to do it.

Truth is stranger than fiction. Esp when it’s via gov mandate. :shock: :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:04 pmPage 290 / Funny thread:
temporal1 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:02 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:02 am Staying six feet apart from other people is both silly, disrespectful, dehumanising, and also has zero basis in science.
The only reason to do it is to get respect from the world, and even in the world, it’s rare to see anyone still trying to do it.

Truth is stranger than fiction. Esp when it’s via gov mandate. :shock: :-|
We flew cross-country twice (for funerals) during the absolute height of the insanity. With children. That's an experience I can honestly say I would do absolutely 100% everything in my power to avoid experiencing ever again.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It’s interesting how six feet of distance was needed… except on planes, where Covid magically stopped spreading even when packed tightly into airline middle seats. Airlines could have guaranteed six feet of distance between passengers; they just didn’t want the hit to their bottom line.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:31 am It’s interesting how six feet of distance was needed… except on planes, where Covid magically stopped spreading even when packed tightly into airline middle seats. Airlines could have guaranteed six feet of distance between passengers; they just didn’t want the hit to their bottom line.
Correct. Even tho they were getting huge subsidies from government to stay in business.

On one flight, i don’t recall the date, the airline seemed to be seating leaving the middle seats empty?
i don’t travel often, i had this impression at the time.

Later, i read about improved air filters on planes. ??

They definitely want those seats filled! AND gov subsidies.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:59 am
Josh wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:31 am It’s interesting how six feet of distance was needed… except on planes, where Covid magically stopped spreading even when packed tightly into airline middle seats. Airlines could have guaranteed six feet of distance between passengers; they just didn’t want the hit to their bottom line.
Correct. Even tho they were getting huge subsidies from government to stay in business.

On one flight, i don’t recall the date, the airline seemed to be seating leaving the middle seats empty?
i don’t travel often, i had this impression at the time.

Later, i read about improved air filters on planes. ??

They definitely want those seats filled! AND gov subsidies.
Delta did that…… until they had enough passengers to fill planes again.
1 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Signtist wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:15 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:23 pm At the beginning, the local grocery stores had people posted at the entrance to make sure customers wore a mask. That only lasted a week or so. Too much hostility.
1. Wore a mask.
2. Only shopped by yourself, one person per household. (Asinine, I don't care what Appleman says)
3. Only purchased "essential items" (pencils and pens were not essential, but we couldn't send kids to school)
4. Mandatory shot of hand sanitizer
5. Only walked in certain directions in the isles.
6. Stood 6' apart in the checkout lines.
7. Threw your money in a bin. Or in the case of a card, the keypad had plastic over it.
I know you do not care what I say but I agree with you on that point. That as well as many other things were overkill.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Steve, I appreciate a lot about you. One thing I noticed that I liked was how you tried to see things from as many different perspectives as possible. You had opinions, but never forced them on anyone. And you were brave and honest enough to admit when your position changed.
0 x