Cremation query

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: Cremation query

Post by Joy »

My choice is a green burial--no funeral home involved, no metal anywhere in the cemetery, and you supply the casket (if you want one, and a simple casket maker has been recommended). The cost is hundreds, not thousands, and I have already paid for it except for the coffin. This is much better stewardship of the Lord's money than the average funeral.

A memorial service can be held in the church whenever it is convenient for relatives to arrive.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Joy wrote:My choice is a green burial--no funeral home involved, no metal anywhere in the cemetery, and you supply the casket (if you want one, and a simple casket maker has been recommended). The cost is hundreds, not thousands, and I have already paid for it except for the coffin. This is much better stewardship of the Lord's money than the average funeral.

A memorial service can be held in the church whenever it is convenient for relatives to arrive.
IIRC the French refrigerate their dead for viewing.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

appleman2006 wrote:Guess I would still prefer some type of box if for no other reason than to keep digging animals at bay at least for a few years.. Not that it would bother me but it might some of my living relatives if you catch my drift.
(i think) the primary reason for graves to be deep is to ward-off animals? many homicide reports describe "shallow graves" which are not good enough to keep this from happening.
Joy wrote:My choice is a green burial--no funeral home involved, no metal anywhere in the cemetery, and you supply the casket (if you want one, and a simple casket maker has been recommended). The cost is hundreds, not thousands, and I have already paid for it except for the coffin. This is much better stewardship of the Lord's money than the average funeral.

this topic makes me recall how much i appreciated having a "head of household," whether father, husband, grandfather, to make so many decisions. i'm glad i appreciated this in-the-moment. if not, the regrets might be very painful.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:

IIRC the French refrigerate their dead for viewing.
J.M.
some countries do not have ready refrigeration. i learned, Brazil has laws that require the deceased to be buried within 24 hours for this reason. i have wondered what they do about suspicious deaths. i understand the necessity, but, this policy could hide crimes. i presume Brazil is not alone.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

MaxPC wrote:Do Anabaptists cremate their dead?
No.
(not those original , faithful, undiluted with modern distractions or departures from the one true faith)
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Aaron wrote:
No.
(not those original , faithful, undiluted with modern distractions or departures from the one true faith)
You're spare parts, ain't you bud?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

No.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Aaron wrote:
No.
The one true faith? Now I’m intrigued.
0 x
Moses
Affiliation: Jewish

Post by Moses »

Josh wrote:
Aaron wrote:
No.
The Jewish faith, Josh. Not COGICM. :lol:
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Moses wrote:
Josh wrote:
Aaron wrote: No.
The Jewish faith, Josh. Not COGICM. :lol:
Hoping this discussion doesn't become heated. :laugh
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God