Cremation query

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Cremation query

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Hats Off wrote:Some of us still have visitation in the home to help cut costs. I think I would go for that if my wife went first. It is also more intimate but it is less likely that as many locals would show up.
We use the church house.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Hats Off wrote:Some of us still have visitation in the home to help cut costs. I think I would go for that if my wife went first. It is also more intimate but it is less likely that as many locals would show up.
We use the church house.

J.M.
Likewise.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

Actually, in Greece, you only rent a plot. Cremation is perhaps a bit more dignified than this:

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/aug/12/news/mn-65083

J.M.
That is quite disturbing, isn't it? It's no wonder EO has always steered me away from Greek O- I guess as this old world gets older, the thought of running out of room to bury the dead is something some places have to deal with.
It seems to me, there is or was a custom of cemetaries attached to churches- is that true in the Anabaptist world? Where do the Amish bury their deceased?

You mean all "One True Churches" are not created equal?

J.M.
Created equal, yes, by way of the Apostles- some have drifted in some areas- yet there are faithful even within the Greek, one of my fb friends is Greek EO and quite committed to Christ, a very Godly woman-

Our pastor mentioned one time being at a Mennonite (or Amish?) funeral, and he said they knew how to do funerals- it was in the home if I remember right. I don't see why they have to be so elaborate at all. I think I would want to skip the whole funeral home idea- maybe like the OO's and others where like yours where they have it at the Church house.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Valerie wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Valerie wrote: That is quite disturbing, isn't it? It's no wonder EO has always steered me away from Greek O- I guess as this old world gets older, the thought of running out of room to bury the dead is something some places have to deal with.
It seems to me, there is or was a custom of cemetaries attached to churches- is that true in the Anabaptist world? Where do the Amish bury their deceased?

J.M.
Created equal, yes, by way of the Apostles- some have drifted in some areas- yet there are faithful even within the Greek, one of my fb friends is Greek EO and quite committed to Christ, a very Godly woman-

Our pastor mentioned one time being at a Mennonite (or Amish?) funeral, and he said they knew how to do funerals- it was in the home if I remember right. I don't see why they have to be so elaborate at all. I think I would want to skip the whole funeral home idea- maybe like the OO's and others where like yours where they have it at the Church house.
So if they have "drifted" are they still the "One True Church"?

J.M.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In Ohio you can get a "green burial" near Wilmot, Ohio. They just put you in the ground. It takes a few days before a body starts to rot in a major way.

Muslims and some Jewish people also bury this way (including in America), not embalming and just putting someone's body in the ground in a simple wooden box, not intended to stop decomposition.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

J.M.

So if they have "drifted" are they still the "One True Church"?

J.M.
As far as Apostolic doctrine, I don't think they've become heretical, but in practice, well I'm not in position to judge because there are many Greek Orthodox Churches- who would still have the canons. I don't see their women covering their heads during the service- and that is something EO taught through the entire church age- we have Christ's words to the 7 churches in Revelation and need to look at what He was pleased with, and what He was not- for a better idea or guide to how He views our 'works' , strengths, weaknesses, where we need to return to our First Love, etc-
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote:In Ohio you can get a "green burial" near Wilmot, Ohio. They just put you in the ground. It takes a few days before a body starts to rot in a major way.
This is my request. Have friend and family dig the hole and put my body in. No box. No poison chemicals. I used to have friends in a monastery in Georgia who explained they did it this way. Now it's the new thing! Much less cost, much less pollution, much more natural.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Josh wrote:In Ohio you can get a "green burial" near Wilmot, Ohio. They just put you in the ground. It takes a few days before a body starts to rot in a major way.
This is my request. Have friend and family dig the hole and put my body in. No box. No poison chemicals. I used to have friends in a monastery in Georgia who explained they did it this way. Now it's the new thing! Much less cost, much less pollution, much more natural.
Guess I would still prefer some type of box if for no other reason than to keep digging animals at bay at least for a few years.. Not that it would bother me but it might some of my living relatives if you catch my drift.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

appleman2006 wrote:
Guess I would still prefer some type of box if for no other reason than to keep digging animals at bay at least for a few years.. Not that it would bother me but it might some of my living relatives if you catch my drift.
Reminds me of the time we were visiting a cemetery. Apparently some of the small stones on a gravesite were scattered and there was a small hole. The young lady visiting the gravesite got out her phone and frantically told her mother: "Ma! Aunt Becca's trying to dig her way out!!!
:D :lol: We still enjoy laughing about that.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus

appleman2006 wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:
When I lived in the Gulf, people were wrapped in a sheet, carried to the cemetery by an all male procession on a door (I am not kidding here) and placed in a grave about 6-10' deep. Lots of shouting "Allahu Akbar, the women stayed home to prepare to receive the condolence calls. It was filled over and rocks were placed on top of the grave.

If it had not been the grandmother of a family we were close to, I would have stayed afar off and taken pictures. As it was, I joined the procession.

J.M.
0 x