MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Cremation query

Post by MaxPC »

Do Anabaptists cremate their dead?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Re: Cremation query

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

I haven't heard of it among the conservative Anabaptists. There was a man in my area who gave his body for medical research.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote:I haven't heard of it among the conservative Anabaptists. There was a man in my area who gave his body for medical research.
Thank you. :up:
Are there other branches that allow cremation?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I would sat that it is at least strongly frowned on in all of the Mennonite groups with which I have been closely associated.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:Do Anabaptists cremate their dead?
Not that I'm aware of based on any of the funerals I've been to, but there would be no opposition to giving one's body to science or donating one's organs, etc.

A few people here are doing "green" burials (no coffin).
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Nothing prohibiting or discouraging cremation in our MB church. I am booked to be cremated. Back to ashes the fast way.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Several people in our MCUSA church requested cremation. Most are buried.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:I would sat that it is at least strongly frowned on in all of the Mennonite groups with which I have been closely associated.
Neto, what is the reason(s) for discouraging cremation in those groups?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

MaxPC wrote:
Neto wrote:I would sat that it is at least strongly frowned on in all of the Mennonite groups with which I have been closely associated.
One of the reasons I have heard in this area is that cremation is an attempt to get rid of the body so that it is not available to be raised up for judgement.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

silentreader wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
One of the reasons I have heard in this area is that cremation is an attempt to get rid of the body so that it is not available to be raised up for judgement.
I suspect this is probably the main reason. Another is that burning of the body was often used by the persecutors, presumably to destroy the person's opportunity to be raised again? (I hadn't thought to wonder why this method was so often used for 'heretics'.) Or, that it is considered a desecration of the body. (As to methods of killing the 'heretic', another common method was by drowning, and for some reason my people, when they came over from Russia, resisted "burial at sea" where possible. I have heard a family story that one of my relatives is buried somewhere on the beach in New York harbor. They kept the body in a trunk until they got off of the ship.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.