27%
It is complicated and I will expond.
20%

Total votes: 15

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Are Anabaptists Religious Fanatics?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sliceitup wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:15 pm But I’m guessing many groups/organizations/churches have these kinds of flaws.
Sports fanatics, anyone?
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Sliceitup wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:15 pm I think there are people, and even specific groups, with the anabaptist community that are given to religious fanaticism. But more broadly I believe the majority hold some fanatical views while being rational in other areas. I say this because often there are positions that are taken that just don’t hold water, and no amount of rational discussion will change it.

But I’m guessing many groups/organizations/churches have these kinds of flaws.
Coming up with my own ad-hock definition, I would consider fanaticism to be zealotry combined with intolerance or narrow-mindedness.

So not only are you very zealous about your beliefs, you also very intolerant of others. One example would be the Taliban who are not only religious zealots, they cannot tolerate any diversity of belief.

I think a lot of Anabaptists are very zealous about their beliefs. But I don't see the same type of intolerance you would see with say the Taliban. Most Anabaptists are comfortable with diversity. There are, of course the odd exceptions. Like that case a few years back where one Amish leader of some splinter group attacked and forcibly shaved the beards of some others over some excommunication dispute that I forget the details of. That seemed like fanaticism. But generally speaking the normal Anabaptist is not offended by the presence of a Lutheran church down the road or a diversity of beliefs within the community.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:07 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:15 pm But I’m guessing many groups/organizations/churches have these kinds of flaws.
Sports fanatics, anyone?
The American Church of the Super Bowl comes to mind. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Chris wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:47 am Anabaptism is not supposed to be about fanaticism -> it's about conversion to a full new life in Jesus.
To many people, that describes fanaticism.
1 x
Gene
Affiliation: CMC

Post by Gene »

Difficult to discern how Anabaptism as represented by 21st century Mennonites could possibly be confused with Christian fanaticism.
2 x