Ukranian Christians Loving Russian Soldiers

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Ukranian Christians Loving Russian Soldiers

Post by Ernie »

I'm trying to find stories of Christians who have shown love to Russian soldiers in Ukraine.
I am not wanting stories from of professing Christians who are supportive of Russia, the Russian war effort, or the Russian Orthodox Church.

If you come across any, please post them here or tell us where to find them.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Re: Ukranian Christians Loving Russian Soldiers

Post by Ernie »

The only story I have heard so far is about a pastor who lives north of Kiev. About 20 some soldiers showed up at his door and wondered if they could use his shower. He allowed them to do so and in exchange for his kindness they offered him a gun. He said he had no use for a gun but could use a truck. Well, they couldn't offer him a truck but at least he tried. :-)
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I got this one in my mailbox today...

"One brother in Lugansk was taken [for military service]. He refused to take a weapon, but when a missile wounded one of the soldiers and everyone else scattered, he stayed and helped the wounded soldier and went with him to the hospital. So they let him stay on to help in the hospital. He helped dying people and told them about Jesus."
6 x
natashaasbj
Affiliation: Conserv. Anabaptist

Post by natashaasbj »

Just a note, that Russian soldiers behave very humanely with captive Ukrainians. They give them food and medicine needed and then they may exchange them. People if the East Ukraine were often nice to them because they are Russians culturally. Most of the stories you hear about Russians raping old people and babies were checked and they were just lies. No facts, just some lady journalist decided to portray wrong image( information war to produce hate towards Russians). While at the same time when Russian soldiers getting into captivity to Ukrainian army they get horrific abuse a lot ; shooting into their legs , torturing, even castrating). Yesterday United Nations were watching the accounts that got on camera. Also Russians just try to hit military objects. Often the Ukrainian defense system try to prevent the missiles get them diverted into places where people live. While CNN and FOX will never tell you that for 8 years civilians in Donetsk live under everyday bombing from the Ukrainian Government, because they are separated from the Ukraine.
1 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Interesting stuff. But why restrict it to "Christians"? Human kindness is wide-spread and not always connected with Christian faith.
On the whole, foreign soldiers don't need much kindness from inhabitants, they can get most things by sheer force. The two great opportunities are "collaboration" (restrained to business, liked by the occupants and dsiliked by your compatriots), and "fraternizing" (restrained to privacy, disliked above all by the occupant superiors). Regrettably fraternizing ends with a lot of extramarital babies and/or with a lot of cut-off hair.
1 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

natashaasbj wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm Just a note, that Russian soldiers behave very humanely with captive Ukrainians. They give them food and medicine needed and then they may exchange them. People if the East Ukraine were often nice to them because they are Russians culturally. Most of the stories you hear about Russians raping old people and babies were checked and they were just lies. No facts, just some lady journalist decided to portray wrong image( information war to produce hate towards Russians). While at the same time when Russian soldiers getting into captivity to Ukrainian army they get horrific abuse a lot ; shooting into their legs , torturing, even castrating). Yesterday United Nations were watching the accounts that got on camera. Also Russians just try to hit military objects. Often the Ukrainian defense system try to prevent the missiles get them diverted into places where people live. While CNN and FOX will never tell you that for 8 years civilians in Donetsk live under everyday bombing from the Ukrainian Government, because they are separated from the Ukraine.
Feel free to start a new thread on this topic.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Well... After nearly 2 years of war, I finally got to hear some stories.

Anya Hursh has been chronicling life in Ukraine during the war and thousands of people have been reading her updates. Tonight, her dad, Wayne Hursh spoke about the work God has been doing through his people in Ukraine since the war began. I was very intrigued.

I never guessed that so many good things could come out of a war that would never have happened otherwise. Some of my nieces and nephews are spending time in Ukraine right now helping to minister in a variety of ways. My hat is off to all of those who are willing to work in warn torn countries, some of whom have narrowly missed death by bullets, mortars, and missiles. And after listening to this presentation this evening, I am convinced more than ever that I want to cast my lot with the historic peace churches. They are the only ones that have something concrete to offer folks in a war tone country.

There are quite a number of ministries across the Plain Anabaptist spectrum that volunteers can work under. There are enough villages in Ukraine to "adopt", to keep all the various Anabaptist conferences and fellowships busy for a long time. (and thousands of other groups as well.)

You may enjoy reading Anya's updates. She is a good writer.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

If you want to listen to the presentation and view slides from this evening.

Part 1

Part 2
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Our church basically has been exiled from Ukraine. (For the second time in as many centuries.) Basically every male member has migrated to Poland or elsewhere, because otherwise they will face mandatory conscription. We used to have a sizeable church there with multiple congregations and indigenous ministers/deacons.

People from other countries wouldn't face this problem so I like your idea:
There are quite a number of ministries across the Plain Anabaptist spectrum that volunteers can work under. There are enough villages in Ukraine to "adopt", to keep all the various Anabaptist conferences and fellowships busy for a long time. (and thousands of other groups as well.)
0 x
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Post by GoodGirl »

My son & his wife are in Georgia (by Russia) right now. They’ve also been in other nearby countries.

They’re due home soon & I’ll let you know if they have any accounts.
0 x