Television

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Television

Post by ohio jones »

TeleBodyofChrist wrote:
Haystack wrote:It would be interesting to hear what people define as Television. Do you consider it the actual physical TV or do you consider the shows on it TV? I ask this because I remember reading somewhere (might have been way back on MD, I can't remember now) about how its becoming common for young people in some groups to watch Netflix on their computers or phones. Now I'm sure Netflix would fall under the TV category, but have any groups specifically banned Netflix altogether (defined in their rules)?
I consider tv just a device just like a computer that allows you access to programming. The same for smartphones and tablets. I think of the programming no matter what medium is used. I think the church might be making a mistake by being specific to the medium used to access the programming. I think the standards should address the programming itself so there is not any confusion.
The rules tend to lag behind the technology, not only because of institutional inertia, but also because those with the greatest influence in formulating the rules are older and somewhat less likely to be aware of the latest trends. So by the time a rule is implemented, the fencecrowders who do everything there's no rule against have already moved on to something else.

I agree with TBC that focusing on the content is the important factor. Promoting transformed hearts that don't desire objectionable programming, and teaching discernment, is more productive than regulating hardware, software, and communications technology. But it does take more effort.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote:
TeleBodyofChrist wrote:
Haystack wrote:It would be interesting to hear what people define as Television. Do you consider it the actual physical TV or do you consider the shows on it TV? I ask this because I remember reading somewhere (might have been way back on MD, I can't remember now) about how its becoming common for young people in some groups to watch Netflix on their computers or phones. Now I'm sure Netflix would fall under the TV category, but have any groups specifically banned Netflix altogether (defined in their rules)?
I consider tv just a device just like a computer that allows you access to programming. The same for smartphones and tablets. I think of the programming no matter what medium is used. I think the church might be making a mistake by being specific to the medium used to access the programming. I think the standards should address the programming itself so there is not any confusion.
The rules tend to lag behind the technology, not only because of institutional inertia, but also because those with the greatest influence in formulating the rules are older and somewhat less likely to be aware of the latest trends. So by the time a rule is implemented, the fencecrowders who do everything there's no rule against have already moved on to something else.

I agree with TBC that focusing on the content is the important factor. Promoting transformed hearts that don't desire objectionable programming, and teaching discernment, is more productive than regulating hardware, software, and communications technology. But it does take more effort.
This makes so much sense & explains a lot-
teaching discernment is more productive- true-
I know the Amish called television "satan's box" and I think they apply it SOMEWHAT to computers but not as quick to dismiss the value of computers (some Amish businesses allow them, where there would never be a need for a television)

In our home we got rid of cable several years ago- my husband liked the old reruns of shows where there were still values conveyed so we appreciated some of those (as mentioned Andy Griffith) HOWEVER we also, when watching these old reruns noticed the gradual infiltration of more worldly thinking- and how those shows would never be embraced today because of women's lib, homosexuality, 'political correctness' etc-

Thankfully our t.v. broke down in September and we have not gone out and replaced it (to me it was the Lord's kindness, I have desired a home without a t.v. since my children were small). I did however believe there was a place for it with 'discernment' and yet if one is not strong in the Lord, satan takes advantages of weaknesses. I see the influence it has had on society and I guess I'm at a point of loathing it. We have a small t.v. we can watch good Christian DVD's as it doesn't get any channels- so we will watch an occasional quality film-
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

TeleBodyofChrist wrote:
I think this is an excellent point. It was a bit more cut and dried with traditional television, but the line between television and computers and Internet and phones is so blurred now that it seems that the focus should be on programming rather than the medium or device used to access the programming.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Adam wrote:
TeleBodyofChrist wrote:
I think this is an excellent point.
It was a bit more cut and dried with traditional television, but the line between television and computers and Internet and phones is so blurred now that it seems that the focus should be on programming rather than the medium or device used to access the programming.
my understanding is, the term, "screen time," includes all these forms (which are blurred, certainly.) i notice teachers and parents are using the term, with interest in limiting+controlling content.

for instance, my daughter was careful about "no screen time" for her daughter before age 2.
some studies show it is not a positive for babies-toddlers. but, limiting time+content is an ongoing topic for parents and teachers ..

"screen time" includes video games.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Growing up simply agreeing to not have TV worked. Pretty straightforward really. But when the internet came, it was new, and since there was no agreement not to have it, we by default accepted it. Later, we had to come up with guidelines about the internet usage.
While in the past simply banning plastic and glass was all that was needed, we now have moved to focus on programming.

Our current (2007) agreement says:

Internet and computer use-
"While the internet has potential for good and evil it is necessary that we establish guidelines for the spiritual protection of our people. Direct access to internet without precautionary protection is forbidden. A blocking system approved by the church is to be utilized with internet usage. There must be both personal responsibility and brotherhood accountability. Any provider or blocking system should be approved in consultation with one or more brethren and the ministry."

Videos-
"The movie industry is saturated with evil. We take a stand against Hollywood style movies that appeal to the carnal and sensual part of mankind. In order to keep our people free from this evil we must take a stand against VCR's, DVD's and any other medium that brings this influence into the home nor can we give them attention in any other setting.
Religious films are not accepted. The portrayal of so-called spiritual truths and saints of the past by those who are acting the part will fail to build us up in the faith.
There is a place for education type films, but we should limit ourselves in this area also recognizing that it is difficult to define educational compared to what appeals to the carnal man. Films with characters and a plot or story line are not acceptable."
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote:Growing up simply agreeing to not have TV worked. Pretty straightforward really. But when the internet came, it was new, and since there was no agreement not to have it, we by default accepted it. Later, we had to come up with guidelines about the internet usage.
While in the past simply banning plastic and glass was all that was needed, we now have moved to focus on programming.

"While the internet has potential for good and evil it is necessary that we establish guidelines for the spiritual protection of our people. Direct access to internet without precautionary protection is forbidden. A blocking system approved by the church is to be utilized with internet usage. There must be both personal responsibility and brotherhood accountability. Any provider or blocking system should be approved in consultation with one or more brethren and the ministry."

Videos-
"The movie industry is saturated with evil. We take a stand against Hollywood style movies that appeal to the carnal and sensual part of mankind. In order to keep our people free from this evil we must take a stand against VCR's, DVD's and any other medium that brings this influence into the home nor can we give them attention in any other setting.
Religious films are not accepted. The portrayal of so-called spiritual truths and saints of the past by those who are acting the part will fail to build us up in the faith.
There is a place for education type films, but we should limit ourselves in this area also recognizing that it is difficult to define educational compared to what appeals to the carnal man. Films with characters and a plot or story line are not acceptable."
And do you have something similar for radios ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Radios simply aren't something we do in more conservative circles. Some churches that are very focused on outward things want them removed from cars. Others just ask members not to turn them on.

I have found it pretty easy to not turn on the radio. If a national emergency happens, I can flip it on in my car and it's there.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote:
RZehr wrote:Growing up simply agreeing to not have TV worked. Pretty straightforward really. But when the internet came, it was new, and since there was no agreement not to have it, we by default accepted it. Later, we had to come up with guidelines about the internet usage.

Videos-
And do you have something similar for radios ?
Yes
"Because of the worldly influence, the subtle effects of false teaching and the destroying of Christian morals in programs coming over radio and television, let our members keep free from both. Essential communications excepted"
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Once you allow the radio, conservative Mennonites will listen to the "Christian" station.

My experience is that a bunch of Mennonite people regularly listening to Parkside's radio programme will start to be a lot less Anabaptist over time, and will appreciate their own preachers and visiting preachers a lot less.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I guess I'm one of those MB Anabaptist sinners with 4 TVs and a Bose radio. Watching the hockey game at the moment. Hope I don't die before the game ends. Good thing I believe in eternal security. :roll: :) Sorry, being sarcastic. And there goes another sin. But joking aside, there sure is quite a range of practise within Anabaptism.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit