Television

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Television

Post by Sudsy »

Haystack wrote:
mike wrote:Television, like terrestrial radio, is dying. It will likely exist for a while yet, but it's going downhill fast. There has been a 33% decline in TV ratings in the past four years. There is no way TV as it currently exists can sustain such a rate of decline.
When I first started learning about Anabaptists I thought it was funny they didn't allow radios. Growing up NMB I never listened to the radio and none of the other kids my age did either. People either used CD's or ipods, and radios were what "old people" listened to. I understand the rule and why it's in place, what I find hard to believe is that people actually still listen to radios :lol:
I use radio mainly through the Internet on a site called Jango for free Christian radio station access in whatever type of Christian music one likes. A sample - http://www.jango.com/music/Gaither+Vocal+Band?l=0

I'm a Gaither fan. Yep, I'm old. :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote:If rules were suggested areas to consider in living a Christian life and were not tied to qualifying for fellowship, I would have no problem with them and agree they could be beneficial.
How do you feel about Christian Orders in the Anglican world for instance who don't participate in certain things in order to give themselves more fully to certain aspects of the Kingdom?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote:
Sudsy wrote:If rules were suggested areas to consider in living a Christian life and were not tied to qualifying for fellowship, I would have no problem with them and agree they could be beneficial.
How do you feel about Christian Orders in the Anglican world for instance who don't participate in certain things in order to give themselves more fully to certain aspects of the Kingdom?
I don't know about these Anglican Orders but just read about the different types on Wikipedia. I don't see such a thing in NT scriptures involving making vows but I do see where it says things like not getting married, if you can, to be more fully focused on serving God.

I believe under the New Covenant we can be a community of believers allowing for the Holy Spirit to develop sanctification and give ministry gifts in each individual's life and our role amongst believers is to encourage and pray for each other to draw close to God as He works in us to do our part in the body. As in giving, nothing needs to be out of obligation to anyone or anything except to God. Whatever we do, do to the glory of God. Basically, keep out of the way for the Spirit to work in and through us. I think man has tried to improve on this and attempted to force spirituality and has crossed into the Spirit's working area.

On a different topic Ernie, I am going to work on what we talked about before regarding a comparison of how Jesus spoke of the characteristics of the Kingdom to our governmental system. I hope to develop something I can use in my daily contacts with guys who like to criticize our worldly system. The system (kingdom) they are looking for is the one they can live in right now to a great extent.

Well, back to TV.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote:I don't know about these Anglican Orders but just read about the different types on Wikipedia. I don't see such a thing in NT scriptures involving making vows but I do see where it says things like not getting married, if you can, to be more fully focused on serving God.

I believe under the New Covenant we can be a community of believers allowing for the Holy Spirit to develop sanctification and give ministry gifts in each individual's life and our role amongst believers is to encourage and pray for each other to draw close to God as He works in us to do our part in the body. As in giving, nothing needs to be out of obligation to anyone or anything except to God. Whatever we do, do to the glory of God. Basically, keep out of the way for the Spirit to work in and through us. I think man has tried to improve on this and attempted to force spirituality and has crossed into the Spirit's working area.
So lets skip the vow part. Do you think it is ok for a group of believers to agree follow certain disciplines so that they can better serve the Kingdom of God, as long as they let anyone else join their "order" who agrees to the same disciplines, and as long as they make it easy for a person to leave if they want to leave the "order"?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I've made a decision not to watch TV shows I otherwise enjoy, like Game of Thrones, House of Cards, and others, for a variety of reasons.

It's hard to be in fellowship with someone who has wildly different standards. Even fellowshipping with people in CMC is difficult, since their standard includes watching many TV shows, or sports events, and I'm trying not to spend my time doing that.

Eventually there really isn't any fellowship left because we don't want to spend our time doing any of the same things.

Likewise, as far as modesty goes, I would prefer to make my time spent with very immodestly dressed women focused on evangelism / sharing the gospel with them. Lust is always a decision on the part of the viewer, but at the same time, it's hard to feel much fellowship when spending time with a "Christian" friend who wears a bikini to a beach day or a pool party, and sees absolutely no reason to change that. I'd rather not put myself in harm's way by going to a strip club to eat, and likewise I'd rather not be in close fellowship with women who don't understand how indecently they are dressing.

Likewise, I want my time spent in bars and around drunk people to be spent letting my light shine. I don't want to get drunk or be around alcohol being drunk by people I'm "fellowshipping" with, and doing so really places me in harms' way to end up drinking to excess.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

TV is dead. Or almost dead. Like has been mentioned. Technically speaking I don't have TV. But I do have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Generally the only thing on TV that I couldn't watch if I wanted to on Netflix, is live sports events.

Also agree with most of what Josh mentioned above.

Lastly - as I have said before, I really like the order model Ernie has proposed. I have spoken on its behalf in my settings - but never was able to get any traction. =)

Josh
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote:Lastly - as I have said before, I really like the order model Ernie has proposed. I have spoken on its behalf in my settings - but never was able to get any traction. =)

Josh
I know quite a few people who would be interested in such an order. Most are NMB members of plain churches. But there doesn't seem to be much interest from leadership in leading us.

We are all struggling how much drift we are facing in our brotherhoods.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote:
Sudsy wrote:I don't know about these Anglican Orders but just read about the different types on Wikipedia. I don't see such a thing in NT scriptures involving making vows but I do see where it says things like not getting married, if you can, to be more fully focused on serving God.

So lets skip the vow part. Do you think it is ok for a group of believers to agree follow certain disciplines so that they can better serve the Kingdom of God, as long as they let anyone else join their "order" who agrees to the same disciplines, and as long as they make it easy for a person to leave if they want to leave the "order"?
Firstly, those that have required disciplines to be part of their group are still being used of God in ways to further His Kingdom so who am I to say it is not ok. I believe God works inspite of our traditions. So, I'll just provide my reservations on establishing and agreeing to certain disciplines, fwiw.

I do not find any indication in the NT of establishing a group set of disciplines, mainly involving sanctification, to better serve the Kingdom of God. I think the earliest church who had all things in common did so as it reads - "Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common." The oneness was to ensure there was no needy person among them. This should be the heart and soul of every community of believers to look after their own first and foremost.

What I mainly object to is how these disciplines so often involve the on-going process of sanctification. Sanctification, I believe, is an individual conviction that is on-going but develops in a group environment. We are warned to not 'force feed', so to speak or 'give meat' to a babe in Christ. And some will remain babes for years but may agree to comply with standards to be part of the group. I think creating sanctification standards is really messing with the work of the Holy Spirit in the spiritual growth of each individual. It may look good for everyone to follow these disciplines but agreeing to them does not mean they are a heart belief. The Pharisees had very detailed disciplines they followed but it had not changed their hearts. And I know some believe to follow the rules first and you will adopt them as personal convictions later. And some say this worked for them and I have no reason to doubt them.

It also seems to me that these sets of disciplines are too often used as special identifiers of how godly a group is compared to other groups. You can see comparisons made here on this forum all the time. There is a certain 'snobbish' attitude that comes across at times about how sanctified one Anabaptist group is over another.

Also, it seems to me that checking out each other's performance against these standards is a high priority with some groups. More attention is given to judging one another than focusing on reaching the world for Jesus.

Another con I think about sanctification disciplines is that some establish and enforce fellowship criteria based on performance as a believer whereas the excommunicating in the NT had to do with outright unrepented sinning of someone claiming to be a believer. I don't read where anyone was shunned or excommunicated for something like owning a TV, for instance. Or back then for a woman wearing a gold wedding band or etc, etc. Imo, fellowship should not be based on this type of criteria. And this gets back to a more Romans 14 view.

Myself, I prefer open communion and open fellowship. That is what our MB church follows so I fit in best there. Others here feel they operate best committing to a group's defined set of disciplines. Above all, we are still brothers and sisters in Christ including Evangelicals and Charismatics and Calvinists and Salvationists and others who have received Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. None of us have or will have it all figured out in how best to further the Kingdom. But we can examine ourselves to see just how the Kingdom life described by Jesus and the apostles is evident in our lives and for me, I have lots of surrendering still to allow the Holy Spirit opportunity to work on various areas.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy,

Then why do you keep hanging out with the small percentage of Christians in the world who do have the "order" mindset if according to your view we are not following the NT model and have so many "cons" to our approach.
Why not hang out with the 99.9% (who have received Jesus according to your definition) and are seeking to "reach the world for Jesus" your style? Just curious. :-|
0 x
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

Ernie wrote:Sudsy,

Then why do you keep hanging out with the small percentage of Christians in the world who do have the "order" mindset if according to your view we are not following the NT model and have so many "cons" to our approach.
Why not hang out with the 99.9% (who have received Jesus according to your definition) and are seeking to "reach the world for Jesus" your style? Just curious. :-|
I was told by Anabaptists that every church was different and in order to know what one was like you have to visit it. Therefore, even on this forum people would have different mindsets on practices, etc.. From what I understand Sudsy is Anabaptist or am I wrong?

Are we saying that if someone has a different view that they should not come here? I am confused. Isn't this what she just spoke to?
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17