Television

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Television

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote:We got rid of TV when I was still an atheist... I am surprised any Christians​ would watch TV...
It was one of the best things we have ever done for what I have seen in the positive development of our children.
And it took over a year for desensitization to fade off and then at my parents one time to recognize all the filthy suggestive actions and words in what was supposed to be mild and good children's​ shows - nevermind older age "appropriate" programming.
Programming being a very appropriate word for what it did to me and my family when we watched it...
Yes, there is some bad stuff on TV but TV like many other things is up to us to control. I enjoy watching various sports, home renovations, especially love watching various Christian speakers, nature shows, the weather, the news, documentaries, the history channel and many other good wholesome programs. Personally, I am not surprised many Christians including Anabaptists watch these sort of programs.

Most of us have cars that have far more horsepower than they need and the opportunity to break the law and speed is there whenever we get behind the wheel. But I'm not surprised that we still own them and it is up to us not to sin and go over the speed limit. One of the characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control. God gives us the means to not speed and be obedient so that we don't cause ourselves and others to be in danger.

I have heard sermons against TV and in my childhood TV was frowned upon to say the least. We did not have one. Do I recall a sermon on breaking the law by exceeding the speed limits as posted ? Not that I can recall. Isn't this cheery picking regarding what can do us and others harm ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Not too cheery...
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote:Not too cheery...
Whoops my tongue got in front of my eye teeth and I couldn't see what I typed. Correction - cherry picking'.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

At our Bible study, obeying traffic laws and getting your licence / suspensions cleared up is a pretty big focus actually.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Sudsy wrote:
Wade wrote:We got rid of TV when I was still an atheist... I am surprised any Christians​ would watch TV...
It was one of the best things we have ever done for what I have seen in the positive development of our children.
And it took over a year for desensitization to fade off and then at my parents one time to recognize all the filthy suggestive actions and words in what was supposed to be mild and good children's​ shows - nevermind older age "appropriate" programming.
Programming being a very appropriate word for what it did to me and my family when we watched it...
Yes, there is some bad stuff on TV but TV like many other things is up to us to control. I enjoy watching various sports, home renovations, especially love watching various Christian speakers, nature shows, the weather, the news, documentaries, the history channel and many other good wholesome programs. Personally, I am not surprised many Christians including Anabaptists watch these sort of programs.

Most of us have cars that have far more horsepower than they need and the opportunity to break the law and speed is there whenever we get behind the wheel. But I'm not surprised that we still own them and it is up to us not to sin and go over the speed limit. One of the characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control. God gives us the means to not speed and be obedient so that we don't cause ourselves and others to be in danger.

I have heard sermons against TV and in my childhood TV was frowned upon to say the least. We did not have one. Do I recall a sermon on breaking the law by exceeding the speed limits as posted ? Not that I can recall. Isn't this cheery picking regarding what can do us and others harm ?
Cherry picking?
I wasn't raised in any church setting and even if I was raised or not with this teaching we will be held personally responsible. I read the Bible and even studied one time all the place where it says to obey civil authorities. It is a staggering amount.
This is probably why I get teased at work that other employees should leave before me so they don't get stuck driving behind me...

The problem with even the healthier shows is something is bound to show up or affect the viewer. When I watched hockey on the internet after getting rid of TV it bothered my wife because of poor influences. I convinced myself it was fine. But then I meditated on Ephesians 5 and dying for one's wife. Then it hit me I was showing my wife what was more important... Now I watch sermons and occasional acapella on YouTube with not having the opportunity to attend any churches with seperation, non-resistance, etc. teaching and practice at this time.
What are we filling our time with? And what are we showing Christ that is more/most important?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:What are we filling our time with? And what are we showing Christ that is more/most important?
This is where the rubber meets the road. It can extend to computer time, to recreation time, I've even see people work too much and shut out God.
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

Cherry picking?
I wasn't raised in any church setting and even if I was raised or not with this teaching we will be held personally responsible. I read the Bible and even studied one time all the place where it says to obey civil authorities. It is a staggering amount.
This is probably why I get teased at work that other employees should leave before me so they don't get stuck driving behind me...

The problem with even the healthier shows is something is bound to show up or affect the viewer. When I watched hockey on the internet after getting rid of TV it bothered my wife because of poor influences. I convinced myself it was fine. But then I meditated on Ephesians 5 and dying for one's wife. Then it hit me I was showing my wife what was more important... Now I watch sermons and occasional acapella on YouTube with not having the opportunity to attend any churches with seperation, non-resistance, etc. teaching and practice at this time.
What are we filling our time with? And what are we showing Christ that is more/most important?
\

I didn't intend to say you were cherry picking but rather that there are things that Christians will completely abstain from and other areas, that can be also harmful if not controlled, that they completely ignore. Some Christians treat all alcohol as an area for total abstinence while others don't and yet believe getting drunk is a sin. If one believes Jesus is more pleased with us by doing or not doing certain things, then we should follow how the Spirit is guiding us. Television can be bad for us and so can over eating or a number of things if we don't use some type of control.

At the moment, I am multi-tasking. I'm watching the hockey game while posting on this forum. I played 18 holes of golf earlier today and did some yard work. For others, this would not be their lifestyle as a Christian. That is their choice and this is mine in how we are a Christ follower. God loves us as we are, period. There is nothing that we can do to make God love us any more or any less. That, is a wonderful truth. Knowing this our gratitude and our desire grows to live a life of obedience to a God that is love. He will open doors for us to best serve Him.
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Sudsy wrote:
Wade wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

Cherry picking?

\

I didn't intend to say you were cherry picking but rather that there are things that Christians will completely abstain from and other areas, that can be also harmful if not controlled, that they completely ignore. Some Christians treat all alcohol as an area for total abstinence while others don't and yet believe getting drunk is a sin. If one believes Jesus is more pleased with us by doing or not doing certain things, then we should follow how the Spirit is guiding us. Television can be bad for us and so can over eating or a number of things if we don't use some type of control.

At the moment, I am multi-tasking. I'm watching the hockey game while posting on this forum. I played 18 holes of golf earlier today and did some yard work. For others, this would not be their lifestyle as a Christian. That is their choice and this is mine in how we are a Christ follower. God loves us as we are, period. There is nothing that we can do to make God love us any more or any less. That, is a wonderful truth. Knowing this our gratitude and our desire grows to live a life of obedience to a God that is love. He will open doors for us to best serve Him.
I do believe God can work through areas we would rather not touch.

But I can't keep from my mind the fact how God showed His love through His son. It was not through entertainment or recreation but rather self-denial and self-sacrifice for the good of others.
Not to say I am condemning or judging anyone who is watching TV, but if you care to defend it so much; please explain how such things imitate Christ and His life? - the one who is our Lord and the one we follow.

It isn't about focusing on what we can't do but on what we can do.
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Sudsy wrote:
Wade wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

Cherry picking?

\

And about the alcohol - some people grew up with parents that drank everyday and have seen them beat one another. Even if we don't condemn drinking please forgive us if abstinence does seem like a very good option.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote: I do believe God can work through areas we would rather not touch.

But I can't keep from my mind the fact how God showed His love through His son. It was not through entertainment or recreation but rather self-denial and self-sacrifice for the good of others.
Not to say I am condemning or judging anyone who is watching TV, but if you care to defend it so much; please explain how such things imitate Christ and His life? - the one who is our Lord and the one we follow.

It isn't about focusing on what we can't do but on what we can do.
The NT does not give us a full account of exactly how Jesus lived His life here on earth. For some 30 years, we know almost nothing, then for 3 years of full time ministry we still do not have full details. If following Christ in these last years of full time ministry is to be our example, then first we would need to go into full time ministry and have our earthly needs met by others. We would have no permanent place to live. No wife and children. And little time for much other than ministry. Some of the things Jesus said were for His immediate followers. To follow Him around they would need to give up their jobs, their homes and their families. I don't believe this is what is meant for every Christian for all time to follow Jesus.

We do know that Jesus hung out with people the religious crowd did not approve of. He was called a friend of sinners. A slam. Something that the religious folk thought was not a godly thing to be doing. His first miracle was at a wedding He attended (weddings in those days often lasted 7 days of much eating and drinking) and He used the opportunity to do a miracle and what did He do ? He changed water into wine. Lots and lots of wine. The best of wine. So, how do we follow that ? What does this or does this not say about what Jesus would actually do to get people's attention regarding who He is ? And did Jesus join in with the dancing and enjoy the entertainment at this wedding ? Nothing says He did or He didn't.

And I am only defending TV because of yours and other's statements about being surprised at what Christians would do. And regarding the alcohol, I'm not promoting this either. I did not say abstinence is not a bad option for some.

You ask 'how such things imitate Christ and His life ?'. And it appears that you are referring to self indulging rather than self sacrifice for the good of others. Whatever areas you believe you need to sacrifice in how you follow Jesus for the good of others, do them but you need not be surprised when others see what they should sacrifice differently.
0 x