Headcovering advice

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Headcovering advice

Post by Swiss Bro »

My wife is playing with the thought of starting to cover but she has no idea how/what to wear. No one covers in our church and it‘s not common at all round here (except with catholic nuns and muslimas).

Anyway, can you point us to a few links or pictures of headcoverings / outlets selling headcoverings to see what options there are?

Thanks
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Headcovering advice

Post by Soloist »

I can’t post any at the moment but I know scroll publishing sold some, my wife started with a large Clare’s headband and eventually got a doily before getting someone’s old veil. She picked up a head covering from Walmart which is now sold as a face mask, I think it’s called a gator neck mask? But it was sold originally as a ladies hair item… solid black or solid white was the color she had. Otherwise you could make your own like that pretty easy. My wife would be happy to provide more information or help if you wanted just send me a pm.
She says it’s called a multi-purpose head wrap. She says you can find it in almost any store right now because it’s being sold as a face covering
I found it on Amazon just searching “multipurpose head wrap mask”
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Cheers. My wife showed me this, I guess this could also work?

0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

As a happily married man I know that I would be loath to give my wife an advice on what to wear to church or anywhere else. No good can ever come from that. I know my place! :lol:
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

She needs to wear what she is comfortable wearing. My wife would have been happy with that at first.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »

Garlands of Grace website has a good selection of headcoverings in different styles.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

There are many styles of headcoverings.
https://thekennedyadventures.com/a-begi ... -pictures/
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1108119528 ... -christian?

There are many ways that ladies do their hair in connection with the headcovering.
https://beautifullifebypaula.com/christ ... -covering/
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

It’s nice you want to support her SB. I think the band is a good start.
I just want to say that there may be some backlash as most women who cover in non-Cover churches usually experience it, but since you attend the side that actually left the coverings behind after the 80‘s split, it might be worse. Some people will remember throwing out their own and likely have some very strong opinions. I hope you can really support her in this.
2 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Karstan78 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:49 am It’s nice you want to support her SB. I think the band is a good start.
I just want to say that there may be some backlash as most women who cover in non-Cover churches usually experience it, but since you attend the side that actually left the coverings behind after the 80‘s split, it might be worse. Some people will remember throwing out their own and likely have some very strong opinions. I hope you can really support her in this.

Thank you, and yes, we are aware that this might not go down well with everybody…
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

It is not easy yo be the rare headcovering woman in a Church, i will testify to that.
On the one hand you have a peace about knowing in your heart, you've come to believe it is out of obefience to the Lord.
On the other hand you are surrounded by c9ngregants who do not interpret 1 Corinthians 11 according to its original meaning. Yet you know these same people l8ve the Lord, serve Him, seek Him, but have heard the modern interpretations so they are not 'rebelling'. At the same time, you feel when they see you, you're 'different'. You feel they probably feel you're caught up in legalism, or are from 'the old country', or from a previous denomination that requires it. My church is very large with a head pastor known around the world. He was asked about headcovering in a Q. & A. so i know he's not convinced it is for today. At times it makes me feel like dropping it after around 12 years feeling 'different' .

Personally i started with plain colored cotton scarfs that 'covered' my head. I have long hear i put up and then scarf over it. To me i feel finding something ghat serves that purpose without standing out too much gives you the sense of obedience regardless of judgemental opinions you may or may not hear.

The ancient Orthodox Christian Churches probably helped give me the most assurance of its history & meaning, yet some of them have dropped it- some say its 't'radition rather than T''radition. However the entire Christian Church women covered the first 1900 years so Scripture & history can help her know it's right.
It wi not be an eady step. It helped me a great deal to have my husband seek the truth with me on it & then support .e in his belief that ot is obedience. You're support will help her at times when she may have self doubt.
4 x