Modesty & Simplicity

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Modesty & Simplicity

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote: Is there anything in owning these things that militate against following Jesus, for the one owning them, or for others looking on?
Not in Catholic World there isn't. :D My perception is that the advertising world and mass media has convinced many people that they need these things or should want these things.

I still consider from time to time the beliefs of the Hutterites and how like a monastic community they are when it comes to material possessions/goods:
We can also read that Jesus and his disciples shared everything (John 12) and they held a common purse. In Matthew 19, Jesus explains to the rich young ruler that he needs to follow the Commandments and to give all he has to the poor and then follow Him. Throughout the Gospel, Christ teaches us to “love our neighbours” and the manifestation of this love is in caring for each other and in the sharing of possessions. Community of goods was practised in the the early church: the apostles and the early Christians held all things in common (Acts 2: 44-47, Acts 4: 32-35). Therefore, Hutterites believe community of goods and working for each other to be the highest command of love.
Last edited by MaxPC on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Anybody know what I did wrong in that last post to mess up the formatting ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Sudsy wrote:Anybody know what I did wrong in that last post to mess up the formatting ?
the coding was right.
the little checkbox that said disable bbc was checked.
i unchecked it, and that allowed the coding to do its job.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote:
RZehr wrote:Would you have any qualms about owning a mansion or driving luxury cars? You decide what qualifies as such. Why or why not?
I have 'qualms' owning and living like I do and I don't own a mansion or a luxury car.

Why ? Taken from https://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/07/534208/
“If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world.

If you have money in the bank, your wallet, and some spare change you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million people who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the agony of imprisonment or torture, or the horrible pangs of starvation you are luckier than 500 million people alive and suffering.

If you can read this message you are more fortunate than 3 billion people in the world who cannot read it at all.”
And it is not that this isn't pointed out to us in various forms of media and given the opportunities to do our part to right this. So, how do we Christians justify how we live, even those who consider themselves plain or living in a simple lifestyle ? I doubt any of us can as we are all using a computer of sorts.

What is even sadder, to me, is the twist on the Gospel to say we all should expect to own a mansion and drive luxury cars. That is what is meant to be blessed. Wow, what does God really think of that. Perhaps that is the biggest area grieving and hindering a supernatural work of the Spirit in North America.

I don't want to sound competitive with other Christians on how well I manage what has come my way but I will say I really do have 'qualms' (an uneasy feeling) about what this will be at judgment and reward time.
If I understand you correctly, you're saying your source of unease is because of the poverty of others on the earth? And if everyone on earth had a castle and Lamborghini and all the blessings you enjoy, then it would be a nonissue?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Yes. I can see only sinful motivations behind the desire to own a mansion or luxury car. Pride, envy, lust, idolatry, etc.
Even if you had a large family and the price of the mansion or limousine was really below value, and you could easily afford to buy it and maintain it?
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

justme wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Anybody know what I did wrong in that last post to mess up the formatting ?
the coding was right.
the little checkbox that said disable bbc was checked.
i unchecked it, and that allowed the coding to do its job.
Thankyou Justme. Didn't realize I did that. Good to know.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

If I was given or had the opportunity to buy a mansion or Lamborghini at a cheap price, I think I would sell them just to help "declare plainly that I am seeking a country whose builder and maker is God."
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: If I understand you correctly, you're saying your source of unease is because of the poverty of others on the earth? And if everyone on earth had a castle and Lamborghini and all the blessings you enjoy, then it would be a nonissue?
My unease is that "For of those to whom much is given, much is required" - Luke 12:48. If I am can afford to own a mansion and /or luxury car, then would this be where I should spend this money considering all the real basic needs in this world ? Seems to me that our rewards as believers will take this into consideration. In North America we have been given much. What does God require of us with this much when we are so aware of needs of so many others in this world ? Am I loving my neighbour as myself or am I one of those who 'pass by on the other side'.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

To most people around the world presently, I own a mansion.

To most people that have ever lived in history...I am much closer to a lambo than I am to what they had for transportation.

Context methinks is important in a convo like this.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

There are a lot of homeless people. A big mansion would give lots of rooms to be able to share with those who need a space inside and an address.
0 x