Modesty & Simplicity

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Modesty & Simplicity

Post by Josh »

Ken,

I wrestle with that a lot. I try to live a simple, modest lifestyle. At the same time, it can be hard to figure out what simple and modest is.

Consider my mortal embarrassment in showing up at a plain church I planned to be part of for a whole in a BMW X5. (The other car option with my points was a Porsche Boxster for that weekend.) From then on, I was the "nice car guy".

Sometimes I've negotiated my way into a downgrade; National specifically has a policy frequent renters are not to be sent out in compacts or less. Must be standard or greater, and employees get reprimanded if frequent renters regularly get put in standards or midsizes.

I would be much "higher esteemed" in a cheap looking basic car when I roll into a plain church when I'm away from home or in a rental car for some reason.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:Ken,

I wrestle with that a lot. I try to live a simple, modest lifestyle. At the same time, it can be hard to figure out what simple and modest is.

Consider my mortal embarrassment in showing up at a plain church I planned to be part of for a whole in a BMW X5. (The other car option with my points was a Porsche Boxster for that weekend.) From then on, I was the "nice car guy".

Sometimes I've negotiated my way into a downgrade; National specifically has a policy frequent renters are not to be sent out in compacts or less. Must be standard or greater, and employees get reprimanded if frequent renters regularly get put in standards or midsizes.

I would be much "higher esteemed" in a cheap looking basic car when I roll into a plain church when I'm away from home or in a rental car for some reason.
Yea, I know what you mean. There's also a similar issue realizing that in certain situations it is actually more economical to run new equipment and trade it in every two years or so. It can look like a person is wasting money when it's actually a more economical choice.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote:There isn't a verse that says "Thou should feel uncomfortable buying a mansion and $30 lunches". Or is there?
What about this?
“But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation."
I think we need to go by the tenor of scripture rather than use verses legalistically to justify certain things we want to do.

The tenor of these verses to me is quite obvious.
All King Solomon's drinking vessels were of gold, and all the vessels of the house of the forest of Lebanon were of pure gold. None was of silver; it was not considered valuable in the days of Solomon.
Luke 16:19

"Now there was a rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day.
Genesis 41:41-43

Luke 12:19
'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry."'

Luke 7:25
"But what did you go out to see? A man dressed in soft clothing? Those who are splendidly clothed and live in luxury are found in royal palaces!

Hebrews 11:24-27
By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward. read more.

Daniel 4:30
"The king reflected and said, 'Is this not Babylon the great, which I myself have built as a royal residence by the might of my power and for the glory of my majesty?'

Amos 6:1-7
Woe to those who are at ease in Zion And to those who feel secure in the mountain of Samaria, The distinguished men of the foremost of nations, To whom the house of Israel comes. Go over to Calneh and look, And go from there to Hamath the great, Then go down to Gath of the Philistines. Are they better than these kingdoms, Or is their territory greater than yours? Do you put off the day of calamity, And would you bring near the seat of violence? read more.

Esther 1:3-11
in the third year of his reign he gave a banquet for all his princes and attendants, the army officers of Persia and Media, the nobles and the princes of his provinces being in his presence. And he displayed the riches of his royal glory and the splendor of his great majesty for many days, 180 days. When these days were completed, the king gave a banquet lasting seven days for all the people who were present at the citadel in Susa, from the greatest to the least, in the court of the garden of the king's palace. read more.

Revelation 18:10-13
standing at a distance because of the fear of her torment, saying, 'Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the strong city! For in one hour your judgment has come.' "And the merchants of the earth weep and mourn over her, because no one buys their cargoes any more-- cargoes of gold and silver and precious stones and pearls and fine linen and purple and silk and scarlet, and every kind of citron wood and every article of ivory and every article made from very costly wood and bronze and iron and marble, read more.

Daniel 1:8
But Daniel made up his mind that he would not defile himself with the king's choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he sought permission from the commander of the officials that he might not defile himself.

Revelation 3:14-17
"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this: 'I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. read more.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Maybe more of us should buy $30 lunches if we do so with a tax gatherer or a prositute.

I spent $30 on lunch yesterday, which consisted of a not-very-good sandwich, a large coffee, and a soda to go. I was in a hurry and lines were long. I had not had a chance to eat in the morning or at normal lunch time.

I would much rather enjoy eating meals at the homes of Christian people I know (or even better, with a loving, warm family), but that is not the life God has called me to.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

Well, fortunately, eating $30 lunches will make you poor faster than eating around the table with a Christian family, so you should be good.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:Maybe more of us should buy $30 lunches if we do so with a tax gatherer or a prositute.

I spent $30 on lunch yesterday, which consisted of a not-very-good sandwich, a large coffee, and a soda to go. I was in a hurry and lines were long. I had not had a chance to eat in the morning or at normal lunch time.

I would much rather enjoy eating meals at the homes of Christian people I know (or even better, with a loving, warm family), but that is not the life God has called me to.
Your lunch cost and menu is a simple reflection of capitalism, or high cost of living.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sunbeam wrote:Well, fortunately, eating $30 lunches will make you poor faster than eating around the table with a Christian family, so you should be good.
That's a rather big assumption that every day I have that option. I get invited to eat with someone at church once or so a week (sometimes more) and am extremely grateful for that.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

It was a tongue-in-cheek response anyway, so don't take me too seriously.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sunbeam wrote:It was a tongue-in-cheek response anyway, so don't take me too seriously.
Unfortunately, some in our circles might not exactly be kidding about that kind of thing, and it's personally exhausting and stressful to think about how my lifestyle really doesn't measure up to what a lot of people expect in our circles.

I am currently stuck in a bright red "sports car" and don't want to take the time to go back to the airport and exchange it. I am seriously considering avoiding going to visit some Christian people this weekend just because it's so utterly embarrassing to roll up in this thing. So my choices are to avoid the fellowship and just sit in a hotel by myself, or take an hour or so to try to exchange it.

Next week I need to go to a city - and country - with zip all of any plain churches or even plain people. I will be around lots of ungodly people, sinners, and $30 lunches and $90 dinners. It would be really nice to have some fellowship in between all that.
0 x
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

Josh wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:It was a tongue-in-cheek response anyway, so don't take me too seriously.
Unfortunately, some in our circles might not exactly be kidding about that kind of thing, and it's personally exhausting and stressful to think about how my lifestyle really doesn't measure up to what a lot of people expect in our circles.

I am currently stuck in a bright red "sports car" and don't want to take the time to go back to the airport and exchange it. I am seriously considering avoiding going to visit some Christian people this weekend just because it's so utterly embarrassing to roll up in this thing. So my choices are to avoid the fellowship and just sit in a hotel by myself, or take an hour or so to try to exchange it.

Next week I need to go to a city - and country - with zip all of any plain churches or even plain people. I will be around lots of ungodly people, sinners, and $30 lunches and $90 dinners. It would be really nice to have some fellowship in between all that.
This is my point about judging based on material things that do not matter. You should be able to fellowship without judgement or embarrassment. God knows your heart. I would just fellowship red car and all. If someone asks about it explain. If they can't understand, that is their problem. You did what you could.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17