Modesty & Simplicity

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Modesty & Simplicity

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
RZehr wrote:What if you needed a house and a car, and found a deal where you could buy a new castle or a new Lamborghini for the same price as an average home and car?

Does that change your decision?
Would we have to paint the Lamborghini black? :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Personally I would explore the possibility of "flipping" the castle and Lambo by reselling, then purchasing something more modest and donating the extra profit to a church charity. But then that's just me.
Just to ostentatious to keep? Or what is there that makes us feel this way?
For me it would be. The Lambo is a gas guzzler and I can't imagine the heating and cooling bills of the castle, let alone the cleaning supplies to keep it clean. In my values, I would consider the upkeep costs better used in helping others and flipping these items to down-sized and economical options.

Now if I had 20 children, 80+ grandchildren and my parents and in-laws living with me I might consider the castle but they would have to help with the HVAC costs. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

So your primary resistance would be financial upkeep and maintenance?
What if you had a 3 million dollar a year income, and proportionately these maintenance costs were negligible?
And the castle is new, built following today's building codes.

Is there anything in owning these things that militate against following Jesus, for the one owning them, or for others looking on?
Last edited by RZehr on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:So your primary resistance would be financial upkeep and maintenance?
What if you had a 3 million dollar a year income, and proportionately these maintenance costs were negligible?
I'm pretty sure my answer would be the same: take only the small portion that I needed for a sound roof, reliable transportation, & healthy food and give the rest to church charity. My wife and I never felt we needed more than what we have now. My wife would still make her own clothing because it's something she enjoys. I'd still go fishing with my Walmart tackle and would still drive a used car that was reliable.

It's just the values we hold. Everyone has to discern these things face to face with God and I leave that up to them to make those decisions.

Also another factor: I'm not part of a group or fellowship that exercises brotherly accountability and involve a brotherhood in those decision processes.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Looks like I edited & added while you were posting again.
Any thought on my last part?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

It is hard to know what I would do with an income of a million dollars per year - I would not be driving a 2005 van with over 220,000km. I would like to think I would be living similar to what I am now but without concern for the retirement years.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:So your primary resistance would be financial upkeep and maintenance?
Honestly, some of this is a matter of taste. I don't want a castle or a Lamborghini. I wouldn't mind a nicer flute, and there's a bunch of books I would like to buy. But what I really want is leisure time to work on things that are important to me but don't have a lot of commercial value, mostly things related to biblical Greek. If I had a 3 million dollar income, I would work half a year and retire to spend my time on the things I care about.
RZehr wrote:Is there anything in owning these things that militate against following Jesus, for the one owning them, or for others looking on?
Sometimes what matters is how it is used. If the castle were turned into a retreat center or a Martyr's Mirror Museum or a Christian college, it might be a good thing.

If the Lamborghini were used as ... um ... help me out here ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote:
Honestly, some of this is a matter of taste. I don't want a castle or a Lamborghini. I wouldn't mind a nicer flute, and there's a bunch of books I would like to buy. But what I really want is leisure time to work on things that are important to me but don't have a lot of commercial value, mostly things related to biblical Greek. If I had a 3 million dollar income, I would work half a year and retire to spend my time on the things I care about.
RZehr wrote:Is there anything in owning these things that militate against following Jesus, for the one owning them, or for others looking on?
Sometimes what matters is how it is used. If the castle were turned into a retreat center or a Martyr's Mirror Museum or a Christian college, it might be a good thing.

If the Lamborghini were used as ... um ... help me out here ...
Why wouldn't you just live in the castle?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:Why wouldn't you just live in the castle?
I'm having a hard enough time living in a house that used to have 4 children in it and now has just my wife and me. Everything needs upkeep, that all takes time and attention, and it's not what my life is about. So we will probably move into a simpler house some day.

To me, it has a lot to do with focus. It's not what I want the focus of my life to be. To me, a fruitful Christian life is a focused life.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote:
RZehr wrote:Why wouldn't you just live in the castle?
I'm having a hard enough time living in a house that used to have 4 children in it and now has just my wife and me. Everything needs upkeep, that all takes time and attention, and it's not what my life is about. So we will probably move into a simpler house some day.

To me, it has a lot to do with focus. It's not what I want the focus of my life to be. To me, a fruitful Christian life is a focused life.
Couldn't much of this be taken care of with adequate income?
What do you mean by: "...and, it's not what my life is about."?
What do you mean about focus? Would you say that as long as ones focus is right, money and time restraints are a nonissue, then living in a castle and driving a Lamborghini could definitely be in the cards for you?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote:Would you have any qualms about owning a mansion or driving luxury cars? You decide what qualifies as such. Why or why not?
I have 'qualms' owning and living like I do and I don't own a mansion or a luxury car.

Why ? Taken from https://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/07/534208/
“If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world.

If you have money in the bank, your wallet, and some spare change you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million people who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the agony of imprisonment or torture, or the horrible pangs of starvation you are luckier than 500 million people alive and suffering.

If you can read this message you are more fortunate than 3 billion people in the world who cannot read it at all.”
And it is not that this isn't pointed out to us in various forms of media and given the opportunities to do our part to right this. So, how do we Christians justify how we live, even those who consider themselves plain or living in a simple lifestyle ? I doubt any of us can as we are all using a computer of sorts.

What is even sadder, to me, is the twist on the Gospel to say we all should expect to own a mansion and drive luxury cars. That is what is meant to be blessed. Wow, what does God really think of that. Perhaps that is the biggest area grieving and hindering a supernatural work of the Spirit in North America.

I don't want to sound competitive with other Christians on how well I manage what has come my way but I will say I really do have 'qualms' (an uneasy feeling) about what this will be at judgment and reward time.
Last edited by justme on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix coding
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit