Anabaptist views on campus security

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Anabaptist views on campus security

Post by temporal1 »

This for discussion of Anabaptist views on "campus" security or police, or peace officers.

This topic began with DanZ's thread:
Alabama Church .. ..
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=498

2 links referenced in Dan's thread:
Alabama Church ..
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/us/alabam ... ended_pool
Briarwood Presby ..
http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2017 ... rch_2.html

Not all "security" is created equally -
there are some terminology differences, responsibilities vary, according to employment contracts, and what is allowed-restricted by law of the land, local, state, federal.

(Campus is a word that is used for both schools and bigger church facilities.)

In today's cyberspace-reactionary world, some become very emotional, defensive, even aggressive-violent, at the hint of the words, "police," or "weapons." Hopefully, this can be avoided on this forum. :)

(i'm not referring to responses on this forum) but to "comments i read" in the world, esp on "news" reports that seem inflammatory and without balanced facts, evidently for the express purpose of stirring unrest. i.e., sensationalism. (which is known for "selling papers.")

On a CO forum, one would guess this topic would be a "no-brainer," but, turns out, that's not the case.
undershepherd wrote:Just to put this in perspective, most large Mennonite institutions of higher learning have similar [[security]] practices/procedures.

Again, I am not saying it is right or that I would defend the practice.

But don't be so quick to blame a certain brand of theology for producing this practice when various denominations from various theological streams do the same thing.
i'm hoping the topic can be discussed from an Anabaptist view (views) more than political. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: Anabaptist views on campus security

Post by temporal1 »

One question i have is,
"how often do campus police fire their weapons or even threaten with firing their weapons?" ..
i live near a large state university, with an established campus police department of decades .. i don't recall knowing of campus police ever drawing their weapons (even during the highly volatile-violent 1960's-70's.) there was student/activist violence on this campus during those years.

Unlike the Presby church discussed in Dan's thread, where they are considering hiring 1 officer with 1 marked car, this nearby state university campus has a full department and small fleet of marked police cars. Still, i do not hear of them resorting to gunfire (large campus.)

They provide a lot of services on campus.
i may call them to ask a couple of general questions for this topic. :)
it's a question i've had for a long while. i'm sure they keep records.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Regardless of how often a gun is fired, a police officer carries a gun in order to potentially shoot someone. That is part of his job duties and his sworn oath.

Anabaptists don't think we should swear oaths, nor that we should lay plans to take another's life.

Some people moving in a liberal or evangelical direction turn this into a "grey area", my experience is this happens about the same time they drop the veiling, adopt worldly entertainment, stop dressing modestly, etc.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Regardless of how often a gun is fired, a police officer carries a gun in order to potentially shoot someone. That is part of his job duties and his sworn oath.

Anabaptists don't think we should swear oaths, nor that we should lay plans to take another's life.

Some people moving in a liberal or evangelical direction turn this into a "grey area", my experience is this happens about the same time they drop the veiling, adopt worldly entertainment, stop dressing modestly, etc.
my perception is that your points are valid, which returns the question about holding the world (even other Christians) to CO values, esp when they are so little known?

did Jesus say, "now, go home and keep me a secret?"
“We cannot continue to send our children to Caesar for their education
and be surprised when they come home as Romans.”

Voddie T. Baucham Jr.,
Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
0 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I could accept an unarmed watchman. I wouldn't call him a guard, or security.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:which returns the question about holding the world (even other Christians) to CO values, esp when they are so little known?

did Jesus say, "now, go home and keep me a secret?"
Well, Jesus said to go and share the good news.

But let me ask this question: do you hold the world (even other Christians) to values like not fornicating, or not engaging in homosexual behaviour?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote:my perception is that your points are valid, which returns the question about holding the world (even other Christians) to CO values, esp when they are so little known?
I think it is fair to hold professing Christians accountable to the words of Jesus.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

One thing that greatly baffles me is how there are "tiers" of Christian behaviour. I don't see where Jesus taught that.

I do recognise that not everyone who claims to be a brother is a brother, and I also only really concern myself with what goes on in people close to me - in my own church, and amongst my close friends. That's what accountability and discipleship happen.

With that said, I wouldn't feel a huge amount of brotherhood with people forming their own private police force.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Josh wrote:Regardless of how often a gun is fired, a police officer carries a gun in order to potentially shoot someone. That is part of his job duties and his sworn oath.

EXACTLY. In fact any government job (even a schoolteacher) constitutionally must have a sworn oath of office. We can not be in government. We can't even make an affirmation (don't affirm your YES), let your "yes be yes and no be no" Anything else is from the evil one.

The constitution was designed by Freemasons, which is not compatible with Christianity.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Great thread, T1.

Re
RZehr wrote:I could accept an unarmed watchman. I wouldn't call him a guard, or security.
We call ours "ushers". In addition to seating people they also assist those having medical emergencies. They call 911 if needed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God