Fussy babies during church services?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How should mothers handle fussy babies during services?

Immediately relocate to the nursery.
14%
Make an attempt to sooth the child first.
45%
Cut the mother & child some slack: you were once there, too.
27%
Why aren't the small children in the full staffed nursery to begin with?
5%
Something not mentioned above but I am more than willing to tell you about it.
9%

Total votes: 22

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Fussy babies during church services?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Vote and discuss. I have no agenda here.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Fussy babies during church services?

Post by Josh »

Do we need a separate poll for how fathers should handle fussy babies?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 am Do we need a separate poll for how fathers should handle fussy babies?
Good point. We should 8-)

Give me time....
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I make little attempt to hide my parenting, both successes and failures from church family. Partly because I want visitors or people less connected to the church to feel empowered in their own parenting struggles. It can get a little noisy at times. My three year old is in a phase where we go out for corrections at least once every Sunday morning. Since this isn't my first child, I recognize this as temporary, he will grow out of it. In the end I don't put a high priority on silent services.
4 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I have no problem with babies making noise during church services. Sustained crying to where you can't hear the rest of the service gets pretty distracting, so I think there's a point where you (mother or father) need to take the baby out of the meeting as a courtesy to others. It's also nice to have audio techs who keep the volume up so folks can hear well.

What I really don't like in the service is the next stage above baby-hood, say 1 and 2 year olds, when children are disruptive and disobedient in church services as a matter of lack of discipline, and parents don't take corrective measures. That gets old pretty fast. I really hate to see when parents routinely cannot participate in services because of a child not being properly trained. And I have been there, but it's a battle you have to fight. And win. If you can't win the relatively minor battle of training a child to sit still in church, it seems the much more significant battles to come may already be lost.
4 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

In the MB congregation's church house of my growing up years, the back few rows of pews were reserved for parents with small children. (They were labeled that way.) It made it easier for the older people to hear, who generally sat up toward the front anyway. It also allowed for parents to more discretely take a child out when necessary. When I was a child, I was sometimes taken out. :o :angel And back then, 'out' was outside - the foyer was small, and there was no 'Sunday School wing" on the church house yet. The 'in service" correction usually consisted of a pinch on the leg by my dad. That usually did the job.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Just curious. Is there any Biblical support for bringing infants and small children to church? What was the custom in the early church? I don't actually know the answer.

Having raised three kids I'm pretty relaxed and tolerant of other parents struggling with toddlers. And happy to help out if appropriate. There should be some sort of accommodation for getting disruptive toddlers or crying babies away from the service if necessary. Whether that is a formal nursery or less formal space I don't think much matters and depends on the size of the church and style of the building, etc.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:09 pm Just curious. Is there any Biblical support for bringing infants and small children to church? What was the custom in the early church? I don't actually know the answer.
What would the alternative be?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Well, many Old Colonists leave children at home and don’t expect attendance until you’re 12 or so.

Sunday mornings are quite rowdy with gangs of children roaming about at home.

The Catholic position was that children are full members of the church and should be present at Mass.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:18 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:09 pm Just curious. Is there any Biblical support for bringing infants and small children to church? What was the custom in the early church? I don't actually know the answer.
What would the alternative be?
Early Christians met in homes not church buildings. I expect most homes have places where children can hang out, play, or occupy themselves away from the actual service and adult activity. Or for that matter, out in the street and neighborhood with little kids being looked after by older kids, etc.

When I was young and my parents had adult friends over us kids would just be chased away and left to our own devices. Today's parents are more obsessive about structured supervised play than previous generations. But that is a recent modern development.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr