Anabaptists hiding in forests

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Anabaptists hiding in forests

Post by Josh »

Let's remember some of our brothers and sisters in their time of duress. I cannot but help but think about when our own ancestors hid in forests to escape persecution in the 1500s.

5,000 Congolese Mennonites in hiding to escape violence
In an April 2 phone call, Joly Birakara, vice president of the largest Mennonite denomination in Congo, Communauté Mennonite au Congo (Mennonite Church of Congo), requested prayer for an end to the atrocities that have driven members of 30 congregations into hiding in the forest, about 4,000 people. This denomination has brought together at least six ethnic groups into one church body.
I have an acquaintance who worked in DR Congo for a while in the mining industry. It is as sordid a place as one can possibly imagine. He is not at all religious, but he had nothing but positive things to say about Christians in the Congo in general, and Anabaptists in particular. They are the only people he said you could really trust at all, and could always be counted on to help someone in need.
0 x
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Anabaptists hiding in forests

Post by Aaron »

Josh wrote:Let's remember some of our brothers and sisters in their time of duress. ... ... ... ...
I have an acquaintance who worked in DR Congo for a while in the mining industry. It is as sordid a place as one can possibly imagine. He is not at all religious, but he had nothing but positive things to say about Christians in the Congo in general, and Anabaptists in particular. They are the only people he said you could really trust at all, and could always be counted on to help someone in need.
Reminds me of those who were the only ones to go out to the streets and take to their own homes the plague afflicted children, men, and women, during the infamous black plague which wiped out millions.

And those in China, in the persecuted (underground) assemblies - subject to arrest, imprisonment, and worse, if they are caught by the authorities (and also anyone helping them may be also subject to losing their home and their job). (This in the last 50 to 100 years, up thru today).......

And those in China who CONVERTED when they SAW the changed lives of the followers of Jesus - without a word people (neighbors, co-workers, family, passers-by) who saw the set apart (holy) lives, the changed from what they were lives, the changed from society lives, of those who were born again , immersed in Jesus' Name, living His Life.....

"without a word" because if they were heard, they were subject to arrest.... Where else in the world can two or three or twelve or twenty believers or more, living as they should, like in ACTS, EPHESIANS, COLOSSIANS , even in CORINTHIANS, etc etc , bring converts to Christ Jesus, without a word - by their changed lives (living New Creations) ?
0 x