Which Anabaptist Groups Tithe ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Which Anabaptist Groups Tithe ?

Post by Josh »

My experience around some ifb’s and COGIC (where tithing is preached very strongly) was that the recipients of those tithes did not in turn tithe to anyone else, as who would they tithe to, since all money already goes to the “local church”.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:My experience around some ifb’s and COGIC (where tithing is preached very strongly) was that the recipients of those tithes did not in turn tithe to anyone else, as who would they tithe to, since all money already goes to the “local church”.
The ones I know believe tithing includes everyone so the pastors tithe their salary back into the local church where various expenses and donations then go. One church, I was an elder/deacon in, 10% of all monies received was designated to missions. They called it a 'tithe of the tithe'. Then further monies went as offerings to other missions and charitable causes.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote:
Josh wrote:My experience around some ifb’s and COGIC (where tithing is preached very strongly) was that the recipients of those tithes did not in turn tithe to anyone else, as who would they tithe to, since all money already goes to the “local church”.
The ones I know believe tithing includes everyone so the pastors tithe their salary back into the local church where various expenses and donations then go. One church, I was an elder/deacon in, 10% of all monies received was designated to missions. They called it a 'tithe of the tithe'. Then further monies went as offerings to other missions and charitable causes.
It would be more practical to just reduce the pastor's salary to 90% of the base.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Since I attend an IFB church; how it works at our local church is that the Pastor makes poverty line wage and he tithes yet still 10% before taxes and other offerings he gives.
Then the church together has 17 different missions we decided together to give to and pray for regularly. At Christmas extra usually is sent and then extra lump sums if needs arise. End result is that the majority of the local churches money actually goes out to other churches.
0 x