Which Anabaptist Groups Tithe ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Which Anabaptist Groups Tithe ?

Post by Sudsy »

Many Evangelical groups teach tithing (10% of either gross or net income) and believe that tithing carries over into the New Covenant era. A few weeks ago our teaching pastor in our MB church preached that tithing was a scriptural practise and had videos of people in the church giving testimonies of what they believe tithing, as an act of obedience, had resulted in many blessings in their lives.

This did not surprise me as our teaching pastor comes from a Pentecostal background who are strong supporters of 10% tithing. My parents tithed 10% all their lives and that was just the base minimum expected in giving. Many other offerings came additional to tithing.

But this surprised me as I did not think MBs preached tithing as a NC practise. It was not preached as mandatory but preached as how to best follow Jesus and how to be blessed.

I then recalled a couple of my friends from 2 other Mennonite churches and their giving was more of an assessment or tax and they thought it was somewhere less than 5% of net income. Actually one of these assessments caused both of them to quit church in their teens. They thought the assessment was too high for a teenager.

So, I'm curious which Anabaptists groups teach and which ones require 10% of either gross or net income as base giving ? I read somewhere that the early Anabaptists were tithers.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Which Anabaptist Groups Tithe ?

Post by KingdomBuilder »

they believe tithing, as an act of obedience, had resulted in many blessings in their lives.
I've seen and heard references like this a lot. Frankly, it bothers me. The notion that you'll be more blessed if you're giving a certain percentage of your money is pretty low.

I feel this promotes a totally unrealistic, selfish motivation to tithe. Perhaps I'm just interpreting wrong.. but it often comes across this way to me.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Generally speaking, we (conservative Mennonites) don't view the Old Testament tithe as a literal, mandatory command for today. It can be a guideline. I have never seen a 10% income requirement on membership guidelines nor have I seen much at all about requiring "giving".

A lot changes when there is no paid ministry and the upkeep of the building is up to the congregation. If there is a financial need, the deacon calls up everyone or makes an announcement and then people give extra the next week. Usually if there is a big need, like funding for the church school or someone has a big medical bill, fundraisers are organised: maybe a volleyball tournament, or some soup and salads, etc. with a voluntary donation.

At brothers' meetings if finances are short it will be discussed. The budget is reviewed and then we talk about if we can afford the upkeep. Commitments are made then if we all agree items in the budget are important.

Our biggest concern with money and giving is the attitude of the giver. If possessions and income are a stumbling block to someone, he needs to give lots away. And we want to support good things. So many people give gifts to CAM. Others support a school that lets community kids come at a reduced price. Or a Bible school is supported, with subsidies for students whose families can't afford the full tuition.

A more liberal church will pass a basket. A more conservative church just has a box in the back. CGCM (Holdeman) have a brother collect envelopes at the end of Sunday school.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
they believe tithing, as an act of obedience, had resulted in many blessings in their lives.
I've seen and heard references like this a lot. Frankly, it bothers me. The notion that you'll be more blessed if you're giving a certain percentage of your money is pretty low.

I feel this promotes a totally unrealistic, selfish motivation to tithe. Perhaps I'm just interpreting wrong.. but it often comes across this way to me.
In Anabaptist circles I have never heard this taught at all.

Interestingly, our giving / finances tend to be in excellent shape, especially when you consider we are in the hook for any member's medical needs, disability, etc.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:

But the words were from God Himself- He is the one who said "test Me on this"- I'm not saying we should tithe to 'get' but God did promise:

Malachi 3:
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.

12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts.

Evangelicals are merely applying God's own Words- and I have been there for decades- if you are not a 'cheerful giver' than we need to not give with the wrong motivation-
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ah yes, trying to apply the Old Testament when the Jews had an actual temple to today... we don't have a "storehouse" to give to.

In New Testament life we should live as if all of our things are God's and we are just stewards. He wants 100%, not 10%.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

We don't teach the importance of tithing. We teach the importance of giving, sharing, generosity, and meeting needs.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:We don't teach the importance of tithing. We teach the importance of giving, sharing, generosity, and meeting needs.
This is a real difference between us and Pentecostal groups. In a Pentecostal or typical charismatic service, every single service has 4 - 5 minutes spent encouraging tithing. And sermons will be regularly given (usually sourced from the end of Malachi) on the importance of giving.

Examples of places where I have experienced this are Hillsong's various campuses, Faith Family church (a local megachurch affiliated with both Word of Faith/Kenneth Copeland/Ken Hagin and Hillsong), various Apostolic Pentecostal churches (although not nearly to the degree of Hillsong), and various Baptist churches.

It's honestly quite a shock to be around Mennonites and literally never get asked for money. I've probably been given more money than I've received since becoming a conservative Mennonite.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

In my opinion, if a Christian wants to practise the literal tithe, then that is what he should be giving to the local church. But then he should be willing to give at least another 10-15% or upwards, as the Lord prospers, to other needs.

edited to add...I think that more closely follows the OT principle of tithing.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh

Post by Josh »

silentreader wrote:In my opinion, if a Christian wants to practise the literal tithe, then that is what he should be giving to the local church. But then he should be willing to give at least another 10-15% or upwards, as the Lord prospers, to other needs.

edited to add...I think that more closely follows the OT principle of tithing.
I can't think of a reason the "tithe" should go to the local church. We no longer have priests nor a temple, and giving money for the maintenance of a church building, etc. isn't really the same thing as "giving to God" (nor is giving money to pay a pastor's salary).

In addition, some people don't have 10% of their income disposable. It's a heavy burden to impose this on them. Some people are even needing to receive help. How can they give away 10%?
0 x