Which Anabaptist Groups Tithe ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: Which Anabaptist Groups Tithe ?

Post by Joy »

" I think it was Mr. Colgate who ended up living off the 10% and giving the 90%."

Seems like R.G. LeTourneau did the same.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Joy wrote:" I think it was Mr. Colgate who ended up living off the 10% and giving the 90%."

Of net or gross?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Defining gross income for the super-wealthy would be quite challenging to do!
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

So I guess my point is that there is no one formula that fits all situations. So the theory behind tithing 10% of gross when gross margin is less than 5% would be that the cows would start milking up to 50% more and expenses would go down 50% so that the gross margin would go from less than 5% to over 12% to make up for the first years loss, and still allow 10% tithing with something left over to live on and pay down debt. If it were this simple, then in the first year of farming, the dairyman would borrow enough money so that he could tithe 10% of gross and still be able to live until the blessings started flowing back.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I prefer to allocate every dollar to God - even tax free money I get from my employer. It’s a challenge but sometimes what’s best for your employer can be best for the kingdom too. We can have a good witness simply by the kind of customer we are, and by showing that we want to live simple lives, not extravagant lives, and being content if we don’t quite get our way.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:Defining gross income for the super-wealthy would be quite challenging to do!
There isn't a spot on filling out one's income tax form where 'Gross income' is put? Mine does. Gross meaning all monies earned before deductions of any sort. Most tithers that I know, which are only those I have had conversations with, ignore whatever the preacher says and tithe on 'take home pay'.

Our teaching pastor gave a senario that if one earned $ 50,000 a year gross then $ 5,000 of that was your tithe. Then all the additional special requests for monies throughout the year were offerings. I doubt many in the congregation view tithing that way but this was more from what his Pentecostal background would preach.

I read the following here - http://www.tithing.com/those-who-disagree-with-tithing/

Speaking of tithing -
This state-church tax was experienced by the poor as oppressive and provoked frequent protests (for example in the peasants’ movement of 1524-1526), but it was foundational to the Christendom system and defended by both church and state with determination and increasing desperation. Anabaptists, in common with other radical groups, rejected the state churches’ approach to tithing as unjust and based on bad biblical interpretation.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:So I guess my point is that there is no one formula that fits all situations. So the theory behind tithing 10% of gross when gross margin is less than 5% would be that the cows would start milking up to 50% more and expenses would go down 50% so that the gross margin would go from less than 5% to over 12% to make up for the first years loss, and still allow 10% tithing with something left over to live on and pay down debt. If it were this simple, then in the first year of farming, the dairyman would borrow enough money so that he could tithe 10% of gross and still be able to live until the blessings started flowing back.
Or if a person who tithed did not have enough left over to live off and did not believe in debt, then other brothers and sisters who are blessed abundantly should share their abundance. Something like the earliest church operated so none in the church lacked basic needs. How many who follow the strict 10% of gross income would be willing to be that means God uses to see others can exist ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

When I had a business I got a K-1 which only showed net profits. No gross income found its way to my tax return. And a good tax accountant tries to keep that “net income” number as low as possible.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Joy wrote:" I think it was Mr. Colgate who ended up living off the 10% and giving the 90%."

Of net or gross?
No idea, as I heard it probably fifty years ago.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:
Hats Off wrote:So I guess my point is that there is no one formula that fits all situations. So the theory behind tithing 10% of gross when gross margin is less than 5% would be that the cows would start milking up to 50% more and expenses would go down 50% so that the gross margin would go from less than 5% to over 12% to make up for the first years loss, and still allow 10% tithing with something left over to live on and pay down debt. If it were this simple, then in the first year of farming, the dairyman would borrow enough money so that he could tithe 10% of gross and still be able to live until the blessings started flowing back.
Or if a person who tithed did not have enough left over to live off and did not believe in debt, then other brothers and sisters who are blessed abundantly should share their abundance. Something like the earliest church operated so none in the church lacked basic needs. How many who follow the strict 10% of gross income would be willing to be that means God uses to see others can exist ?
In Southern Ontario, a young, newly married man wants to farm. He needs 2 million for a small farm, 1.5 million for quota for 65 cows, 1.5 million for a dairy barn, 200K for livestock, plus some farm machinery. He doesn't want to go into debt. Oh yes, and there are 10 more of his friends this year who also want a dairy farm and no debt. The gross income for this farm will be $450K. The tithe = $45K. Expenses without interest and depreciation are $300K. Interest @ 2% = over $100K. Depreciation = $210K.

How much can you give the young man at 2% annual interest so he can tithe 10% and still live?
0 x