The Anabaptist perception towards a woman's "voice"?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How much of a "voice" should women have in a church setting?

1- Nothing at all. Her husband speaks for her.
6%
No votes
6%
6%
5- In certain situations, perhaps?
17%
6%
6%
6%
17%
10- She is on equals with men.
33%

Total votes: 18

nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards a woman's "voice"?

Post by nett »

Ken wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:50 pm
nett wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:46 pm
Ken wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:35 pm I don't expect that is very common in the conservative Anabaptist community. But it probably is in the more liberal branches of Anabaptism. I expect you can find examples of MCUSA and liberal Brethren churches in which women represent the largest voice on most or every issue.
That is why both of those denominations are doomed, and why the old order groups are growing.
Because they listen to women?
According to you:
women represent the largest voice on most or every issue
Let me introduce you to this thing called the Bible
1 Timothy 2:11-15 wrote: 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

That is why both of those denominations are doomed, and why the old order groups are growing.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4722&p=156857&hili ... hy#p156857
i wrote:
.. i foresee some cobbled-together form of matriarchy is well underway. look at churches, and government, the workplace.
where women lead, men recede. look at results. what if God knew what He was doing, after all??

The Fatherlessness/youth violence thread has some interesting sources/taped videos, etc.
Children NEED their fathers. Male+female children.

matriarchy is not an improvement over patriarchy.
poor political policies over decades decimated traditional families, gov replacing fathers. sorry results continue.

women are marvelous creatures, created by God. (i agree!) :lol:
“God meant it when He said” .. .. that’s central, no matter how He designs+assigns. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

nett wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:56 pm
Ken wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:50 pm

Because they listen to women?
According to you:
women represent the largest voice on most or every issue
Let me introduce you to this thing called the Bible
1 Timothy 2:11-15 wrote: 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
I'm not arguing for or against women having a majority voice in churches. I tend to think all congregants should have equal voice on most church matters.

I'm just pointing out that in reality there are many many churches that are basically run by women. That is completely common.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

joshuabgood wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:38 pm
Ernie wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:00 pm I voted for number 10, but that assumes a setting in which men and women grow up with equal opportunities for education and learning and personal development. It also assumes a setting in which women are not speaking/teaching in the weekly church assembly.
What is a weekly church assembly exactly and why?
The weekly assembly on the Lord's day was common in the early centuries.
Women are instructed to be silent and not to speak in the churches. As I understand, the Greek word "ἐκκλησίαις" refers to "assemblies".
From what I have read, not speaking or teaching "in the assembly" was the understanding and practice of the church, based on Paul's teaching yet it seems that women were empowered to teach/prophesy/minister to ladies.

As a side note on the OP title, I don't think Plain Anabaptists do very well at empowering their ladies to minister to ladies.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
nett

Post by nett »

Ernie wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:05 pm I don't think Plain Anabaptists do very well at empowering their ladies to minister to ladies.
I agree with this. In my experience, women tend to get consumed with their family duties, and start to feel that they are the only ones experiencing basic life struggles.

Do you think women should have their own studies / sunday school lessons? I know some more conservative groups that require a man to be present if there is biblical teaching.
0 x
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Admiral Acbon »

In my church several members of our elected all-female (although husbands are expected to help) food committee raised a fuss after utilities were in place for our new kitchen, wanting it located on the other side of our rather sizeable basement. The proposal was taken to a church-wide vote and soundly defeated. That was decades ago. The more time goes on, the more I question whether the expressed concern about traffic flow was sincere.
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
nett

Post by nett »

Admiral Acbon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:36 am In my church several members of our elected all-female (although husbands are expected to help) food committee raised a fuss after utilities were in place for our new kitchen, wanting it located on the other side of our rather sizeable basement. The proposal was taken to a church-wide vote and soundly defeated. That was decades ago. The more time goes on, the more I question whether the expressed concern about traffic flow was sincere.
Do you suspect, they were just trying to cause drama?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

nett wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:06 pmDo you think women should have their own studies / sunday school lessons? I know some more conservative groups that require a man to be present if there is biblical teaching.
I'm not sure about should, but definitely have no problem with this. I do have a problem with one man teaching a ladies' Sunday school class.

I think there should be opportunities for ladies to learn leadership skills, committee skills, teaching skills, mentoring skills, etc.
Those who meet the general qualifications for deacons and elders could then be duly recognized to teach younger women on spiritual topics.

Places like Penn Valley Christian retreat and Deeper Life Ministries have ladies' seminars with lady speakers. Faith Builders hires ladies to lead mentoring groups. Such scenarios are often the only times that ladies in Plain Anabaptist settings are recognized as able and trustworthy teachers/speakers.
In their home churches, ladies may be able to lead a Sunday School discussion or find ways to teach younger women, but it is the same thing that any woman in the church can do. Churches seem to be hesitant to say, "Here are women who have lived well and here are ways they can teach and mentor others."
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Admiral Acbon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:36 am In my church several members of our elected all-female (although husbands are expected to help) food committee raised a fuss after utilities were in place for our new kitchen, wanting it located on the other side of our rather sizeable basement. The proposal was taken to a church-wide vote and soundly defeated. That was decades ago. The more time goes on, the more I question whether the expressed concern about traffic flow was sincere.
In our church such matters would be discussed by the men and the women in the church before the utilities were installed. If consensus could not be reached, a decision would probably be made via majority vote or with whichever side had the strongest feelings about the matter.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In our denomination food committee is elected by “couples”. Each married couple is basically treated as one unit. School board is the same way (preference is given to married couples where the wife or both used to be teachers).
0 x