What they wore

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

What they wore

Post by joshuabgood »

https://apnews.com/article/religion-pen ... 4520fc2b1f

A powerful statement that deserves thoughtful reflection.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: What they wore

Post by Bootstrap »

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Very, very sad.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Very sad.

Abuse is in every church.
Abuse is in every school.
Abuse is in every college.

Abuse happens everywhere.

I'm sad that this happens with Anabaptists, but it does happen everywhere. No particular religion or organization is immune from it.

I will state I'm hoping there is not a implication here that it is "extra bad" in Anabaptists. Public school teachers all the time are arrested for abusing. It's awful because as Christians we should be living a better standard... But even then, there are non-Christians that go to Christian churches.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Chris wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:01 pm Very sad.

Abuse is in every church.
Abuse is in every school.
Abuse is in every college.

Abuse happens everywhere.

I'm sad that this happens with Anabaptists, but it does happen everywhere. No particular religion or organization is immune from it.

I will state I'm hoping there is not a implication here that it is "extra bad" in Anabaptists. Public school teachers all the time are arrested for abusing. It's awful because as Christians we should be living a better standard... But even then, there are non-Christians that go to Christian churches.
I don't think it is "extra bad" in Anabaptists. I think you are right, it is found everywhere.

I have, however, seen people claim that Anabaptists are particularly bad at addressing the problem of sexual abuse and assault for a variety of reasons and that they need to do better. And it isn't just a conservative thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Howard_Yoder
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:11 pm
I don't think it is "extra bad" in Anabaptists. I think you are right, it is found everywhere.
It s extra "cringe worthy" in a religious setting, in my opinion. And here's why: we have a tendency to blame the victim for reporting it. This was very real to me when we dealt with a situation in our own home. We took our daughter's side while extended family made remarks like, "why did she have to tell a school teacher?" And even comments like "that's what you get sending your children to public school!"

Never mind the fact we had a predator amongst us. No one cared about that. Still makes me sick to my stomach at times. Sorry for the rant.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:15 am
It s extra "cringe worthy" in a religious setting, in my opinion. And here's why: we have a tendency to blame the victim for reporting it. This was very real to me when we dealt with a situation in our own home. We took our daughter's side while extended family made remarks like, "why did she have to tell a school teacher?" And even comments like "that's what you get sending your children to public school!"

Never mind the fact we had a predator amongst us. No one cared about that. Still makes me sick to my stomach at times. Sorry for the rant.

Don't apologize. I am sorry this happened to your daughter and the pain your family must have gone through.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:42 am
Don't apologize. I am sorry this happened to your daughter and the pain your family must have gone through.
Its never really over. We're still experiencing the ripple effects. We've learned to live with a new reality, for sure 8-)

A coworker just told me that a movie producer is working with A Better Way to make a documentary on this. Has anyone else heard this?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
ABC 123

Post by ABC 123 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:51 am
Grace wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:42 am
Its never really over. We're still experiencing the ripple effects. We've learned to live with a new reality, for sure 8-)

A coworker just told me that a movie producer is working with A Better Way to make a documentary on this. Has anyone else heard this?
If the documentary is about abuse in the anabaptist world, is the end goal to pressure anabaptists to reform their ways or what? What is the end goal when the people it is about won't even watch it?

If the absue is as rampant as it seems from all the recent attention, I truly am rethinking with whom I am publicly identifying. (Yes, yes the first defense is it happens every where.....in a church setting that goes out of their way to identify differently than the world, you would think the least they could do is not mess with their little kids....)
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:15 am

What I meant was that I don't think Anabaptists or Christians are necessarily more prone to sexual abuse. I think that is universal. But I think Christians and Anabaptists in particular are often worse at dealing with it for the types of reasons that you cite. The 'circling the wagons' phenomenon. And the refusal to believe ill of fellow members, even when confronted with evidence. Also the idea that there are religious answers to what is a behavioral problem and sickness.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr