The Anabaptist perception towards the Holy Kiss?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How (if at all) does your church practice the Holy Kiss?

We would great each other (men/men, women/women).
45%
We typically greet leadership only.
No votes
Only on special occasions (i.e. lovefeast/communion).
14%
We used to, but don't anymore.
23%
We never practiced this, ever.
18%

Total votes: 22

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards the Holy Kiss?

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:15 pm Some use wine, some use grape juice.
So far there has not been an outbreak of communion related illnesses.
A Groffdale Conference man recently told me this little story...
"In the spring of 2020, with everything that was being said about Covid and its dangers, you would have expected that if gathered for church and communion, that Covid would have spread throughout the whole assembly, and everybody would get infected. Well, after not having church for a month during the stay-at-home orders, we then gathered for worship and communion. And guess what?... everybody got Covid. Everybody! Every family in the church had sickness."
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:00 am
Josh wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:47 am Good thing you weren’t at the Last Supper.
if I was, I'd be serving not sitting. Some of us aren't qualified to be apostles.
At the Last Supper, Jesus was the servant. He washed the disciples’ feet.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Soloist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:00 am
Josh wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:47 am Good thing you weren’t at the Last Supper.
if I was, I'd be serving not sitting. Some of us aren't qualified to be apostles.
Be like Jesus, this my song, In the home, and in the throng. Be like Jesus all day long! I would be like Jesus. :)
0 x
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Admiral Acbon »

I'm surprised "avoiding the appearance of evil" hasn't been mentioned yet. That's what I was told was the reason to greet with that kiss in church but not when out among the general public.
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

I realize this thread is a bit dated, but yours truly has been asked to speak on this topic (the Holy Kiss) in a few weeks at church. Wondering if anybody (from a church that still uses the Salutation on a regular basis) has any sermon links or articles you might recommend. Thanks in advance.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 pm I realize this thread is a bit dated, but yours truly has been asked to speak on this topic (the Holy Kiss) in a few weeks at church. Wondering if anybody (from a church that still uses the Salutation on a regular basis) has any sermon links or articles you might recommend. Thanks in advance.
One thing you can mention is how the holy kiss is not intended to be weaponized and used to ostracize or insult others by refusal.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Chris wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:38 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 pm I realize this thread is a bit dated, but yours truly has been asked to speak on this topic (the Holy Kiss) in a few weeks at church. Wondering if anybody (from a church that still uses the Salutation on a regular basis) has any sermon links or articles you might recommend. Thanks in advance.
One thing you can mention is how the holy kiss is not intended to be weaponized and used to ostracize or insult others by refusal.
I have been in very conservative settings where a group of women were standing and one lady kissed the more conservative women and not the less conservative women. I didn't feel ostracized or insulted. However in doing that, it revealed a lot about her, and not in a good way.
0 x