Anabaptist Communion

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Anabaptist Communion

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:-How frequently does your fellowship receive communion?
This question just seems really odd. I think it's because we would not talk about "receiving" communion; we "partake" or "participate" in its observance. It's something we do together, not as passive individuals.

To answer the part about frequency, though, generally twice a year, spring and fall.
Yes, it's part of "one-anothering". Which is why love, forgiveness, and unity are essential parts of communion in both plain and non-plain fellowships. People who are not "in communion" with each other are not ready to take communion. We have smaller fellowships where people usually know each other, we wash each other's feet and give each other communion.

As both Josh and I pointed out in the quotes from the confessions:
Josh wrote:Our church rests on this confession, drafted in in 1632.
...whereby we are admonished to the utmost, to love and forgive one another and our neighbor, as He has done unto us, and to be mindful to maintain and live up to the unity and fellowship which we have with God and one another, which is signified to us by this breaking of bread. Matthew 26:26; Mark 14:22; Acts 2:42; 1 Corinthians 10:16; 1 Corinthians 11:23.

XI. Of the Washing of the Saints' Feet

We also confess a washing of the saints' feet, as the Lord Christ not only instituted, enjoined and commanded it, but Himself, although He was their Lord and Master, washed His apostles' feet, thereby giving an example that they should likewise wash one another's feet, and do as He had done unto them; which they accordingly, from this time on, taught believers to observe, as a sign of true humility, and, especially, to remember by this feet washing, the true washing, whereby we are washed through His precious blood, and made pure after the soul. John 13:4-17; 1 Timothy 5:10.
This is something I miss in the church I'm in now. In the Mennonite church, people would examine their relationships and reconcile before taking communion. If there were a public dispute, people would be urged to resolve it or else sit out during communion rather than observe it as an outward religious practice without being in communion with the brethren.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:-How frequently does your fellowship receive communion?
This question just seems really odd. I think it's because we would not talk about "receiving" communion; we "partake" or "participate" in its observance. It's something we do together, not as passive individuals.

To answer the part about frequency, though, generally twice a year, spring and fall.
Yes, it's part of "one-anothering". Which is why love, forgiveness, and unity are essential parts of communion in both plain and non-plain fellowships. People who are not "in communion" with each other are not ready to take communion. We have smaller fellowships where people usually know each other, we wash each other's feet and give each other communion.

As both Josh and I pointed out in the quotes from the confessions:
Josh wrote:Our church rests on this confession, drafted in in 1632.
...whereby we are admonished to the utmost, to love and forgive one another and our neighbor, as He has done unto us, and to be mindful to maintain and live up to the unity and fellowship which we have with God and one another, which is signified to us by this breaking of bread. Matthew 26:26; Mark 14:22; Acts 2:42; 1 Corinthians 10:16; 1 Corinthians 11:23.

XI. Of the Washing of the Saints' Feet

We also confess a washing of the saints' feet, as the Lord Christ not only instituted, enjoined and commanded it, but Himself, although He was their Lord and Master, washed His apostles' feet, thereby giving an example that they should likewise wash one another's feet, and do as He had done unto them; which they accordingly, from this time on, taught believers to observe, as a sign of true humility, and, especially, to remember by this feet washing, the true washing, whereby we are washed through His precious blood, and made pure after the soul. John 13:4-17; 1 Timothy 5:10.
This is something I miss in the church I'm in now. In the Mennonite church, people would examine their relationships and reconcile before taking communion. If there were a public dispute, people would be urged to resolve it or else sit out during communion rather than observe it as an outward religious practice without being in communion with the brethren.
I agree with this post, especially regarding partaking, and horizontal relationships.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

We have communion on Sunday morning twice a year, once in the fall around revival meetings, and once in the spring around Easter.
In the week prior to the communion service we have what we call a council meeting. This is an evening meeting where each member gives testimony of his peace with God and fellowman. He also states whether he wants to take communion or not.
This service is a time of self-examination, in order to avoid violating 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
If you do not have peace with God, you should not take communion. If you are quarreling with someone, you should not take communion.

In the fall, we have what we call private council meeting. After a short devotions, the preachers will take turns standing up and testifying that they are at peace with God and man, and want to take communion. Then the preachers all go sit in a small room at the front of the church. Then each member, take turns walking up and going into the room and testifying that they are at peace with God and man, and they want to take communion. If the member is struggling with something or someone in his life, he can say that he is not ready to take communion. Or he can share his problem, and ask the preachers for advice on whether or not he should partake. Or sometime the member may feel fine taking communion, but the preachers think it would be better if he wouldn’t. Married couples go in the room together. Typically they are only in there 30 seconds, if there is no issue that needs talked about.
After everyone is done going in the room, the preachers come out and announce whether or not we will be having communion. Unless there is large scale church problems, there will almost always be communion. But it isn’t unusual for there to be a person or two that for some personal reason refrain.

In the spring, we have what we call public council meeting. It begins the same, devotions, then the preachers testify. Then we go up the rows, each member standing up and stating basically the same thing they would say in the private meeting; peace with God and man and want to take communion. In the spring meeting, there is a lot more personal testimony, and public confessions.

Communion morning, it is common for people to not break-fast. At communion service, we have a communion sermon. Then we open up the service publically for anyone that was unable to attend council meeting to give their testimony.
Then someone will read Luke 21:1-20 or Mathew 26:1-30 and then ask everyone to stand for prayer, after which only the communicants remain standing. The visitors and children sit down. The preachers take unleaven (used to be regular bread) bread and walk up and down the rows breaking off bite sized pieces and handing it to each person standing, who eats it and sits down. Once everyone is seated, then we all stand again and this time the preachers walk up and down passing a mug of Welch grape juice. He hands it to you, you take a drink, hand it back, sit down, he wipes it off and hands it to the next person. The men and women do not share the same cup.

After everyone is seated, then someone will be asked to read John 13:17. During this time, the ushers will carry towels and basins of water to the front of the church for the men, and in a private room for the women. After the reading of John 13, the mens side of the church blooms from black to white, as the men remove their suits and shoes and socks exposing the white shirts, and barefeet - much to the surprise of the little children. The men stand fill up the aisles as they wait in line for the basins and towels. Little children whisper and crane their necks, fascinated at this turn of events. Instead of leaving them alone on the pew, a father might allow a small son to come up front with them to observe the feet washing. You wash feet with the person in line with you. One person sits on the bench and places his feet in or above the basin of water. The other kneels on one knee with the towel over the knee and rinses and dries each foot. Then they trade places. When the second person is finished, they shake hands and greet one another with a holy kiss, and return to their pew and put on their shoes and socks and jacket.

When everyone is finished, the service is done.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:We have communion on Sunday morning twice a year, once in the fall around revival meetings, and once in the spring around Easter.
In the week prior to the communion service we have what we call a council meeting. This is an evening meeting where each member gives testimony of his peace with God and fellowman. He also states whether he wants to take communion or not.
This service is a time of self-examination, in order to avoid violating 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
If you do not have peace with God, you should not take communion. If you are quarreling with someone, you should not take communion.

In the fall, we have what we call private council meeting. After a short devotions, the preachers will take turns standing up and testifying that they are at peace with God and man, and want to take communion. Then the preachers all go sit in a small room at the front of the church. Then each member, take turns walking up and going into the room and testifying that they are at peace with God and man, and they want to take communion. If the member is struggling with something or someone in his life, he can say that he is not ready to take communion. Or he can share his problem, and ask the preachers for advice on whether or not he should partake. Or sometime the member may feel fine taking communion, but the preachers think it would be better if he wouldn’t. Married couples go in the room together. Typically they are only in there 30 seconds, if there is no issue that needs talked about.
After everyone is done going in the room, the preachers come out and announce whether or not we will be having communion. Unless there is large scale church problems, there will almost always be communion. But it isn’t unusual for there to be a person or two that for some personal reason refrain.

In the spring, we have what we call public council meeting. It begins the same, devotions, then the preachers testify. Then we go up the rows, each member standing up and stating basically the same thing they would say in the private meeting; peace with God and man and want to take communion. In the spring meeting, there is a lot more personal testimony, and public confessions.

Communion morning, it is common for people to not break-fast. At communion service, we have a communion sermon. Then we open up the service publically for anyone that was unable to attend council meeting to give their testimony.
Then someone will read Luke 21:1-20 or Mathew 26:1-30 and then ask everyone to stand for prayer, after which only the communicants remain standing. The visitors and children sit down. The preachers take unleaven (used to be regular bread) bread and walk up and down the rows breaking off bite sized pieces and handing it to each person standing, who eats it and sits down. Once everyone is seated, then we all stand again and this time the preachers walk up and down passing a mug of Welch grape juice. He hands it to you, you take a drink, hand it back, sit down, he wipes it off and hands it to the next person. The men and women do not share the same cup.

After everyone is seated, then someone will be asked to read John 13:17. During this time, the ushers will carry towels and basins of water to the front of the church for the men, and in a private room for the women. After the reading of John 13, the mens side of the church blooms from black to white, as the men remove their suits and shoes and socks exposing the white shirts, and barefeet - much to the surprise of the little children. The men stand fill up the aisles as they wait in line for the basins and towels. Little children whisper and crane their necks, fascinated at this turn of events. Instead of leaving them alone on the pew, a father might allow a small son to come up front with them to observe the feet washing. You wash feet with the person in line with you. One person sits on the bench and places his feet in or above the basin of water. The other kneels on one knee with the towel over the knee and rinses and dries each foot. Then they trade places. When the second person is finished, they shake hands and greet one another with a holy kiss, and return to their pew and put on their shoes and socks and jacket.

When everyone is finished, the service is done.
These are all wonderful descriptions.
A question for RZehr if I may: when you said, "He also states whether he wants to take communion or not" do you view this as a different meaning than "... whether he wants to receive communion...."?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Here's a suggestion: attend an Anabaptist communion service. Right about now is the season when many churches are celebrating communion. Why not ring up a few of the churches nearby you (or go for a trip, since you like to travel around in your RV) and attend a communion service or two?
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

When I say that I want to take communion, it has the idea of together - "I will take a vacation with you" vs "I will receive a vacation from you".

But if someone at our church used the word receive in relation to communion, it would likely not be noticed or thought about.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:When I say that I want to take communion, it has the idea of together - "I will take a vacation with you" vs "I will receive a vacation from you".

But if someone at our church used the word receive in relation to communion, it would likely not be noticed or thought about.
Thank you; I'm trying to be careful in understanding some of the differences. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:Here's a suggestion: attend an Anabaptist communion service. Right about now is the season when many churches are celebrating communion. Why not ring up a few of the churches nearby you (or go for a trip, since you like to travel around in your RV) and attend a communion service or two?
I will add it is entirely possible to observe in many churches. Wife and I did that for three of them before we were members. We endeared ourselves to a few of the ladies by relieving them of their infants for a short time during the service. Our conference also permits non-members to participate in the foot washing part of the service under some conditions. We did.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: I will add it is entirely possible to observe in many churches. Wife and I did that for three of them before we were members. We endeared ourselves to a few of the ladies by relieving them of their infants for a short time during the service. Our conference also permits non-members to participate in the foot washing part of the service under some conditions. We did.

J.M.
That would be great if one was close enough to us to attend. We have none nearby. I do like to learn of Anabaptist church/fellowship customs and procedures. I also like to start these threads as a means of learning for those nonAnabaptists who come to this Mennonite forum seeking. Sometimes a person can be so familiar with our church that we forget what a newcomer may not understand.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: I will add it is entirely possible to observe in many churches. Wife and I did that for three of them before we were members. We endeared ourselves to a few of the ladies by relieving them of their infants for a short time during the service. Our conference also permits non-members to participate in the foot washing part of the service under some conditions. We did.

J.M.
That would be great if one was close enough to us to attend. We have none nearby. I do like to learn of Anabaptist church/fellowship customs and procedures. I also like to start these threads as a means of learning for those nonAnabaptists who come to this Mennonite forum seeking. Sometimes a person can be so familiar with our church that we forget what a newcomer may not understand.
There is almost no place in America not within 2-3 hours of a plain church, and most places are within 1-2 hours.

If you share your location, I'd be glad to help locate a few churches nearby.
0 x