Overcoming sin

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Overcoming sin

Post by Josh »

Overcoming sin is a tempting goal for a believer, but it seems Jesus' greatest command was simply love. And Jesus laid out righteousness to a very high standard when he said "You have heard it said... but I say".

Let's talk about how we believe sin can be overcome, and even how proper it is to have this as a primary goal. Perhaps Jesus wants us to overcome sin by choosing to love instead?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Overcoming sin

Post by Sudsy »

[bible]Ephesians 6,10-18[/bible]
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:[bible]Ephesians 6,10-18[/bible]
Yes, we need to wear the armor! I think many young Christians, new to the faith- are unaware of the enemies schemes against our souls to pull us back. I am thankful Apostle Paul, Peter & James spent time especially, informing new converts about this-

Galatians 5:16-26King James Version (KJV)

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
1 Peter 5:8
…7Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. 8Be sober-minded and alert. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in your faith and in the knowledge that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering.

We are taught that we are in a 'battle' in this life- we have to know our Commander in Chief, Christ Jesus- but as in any battle, one must be aware of the enemy as well lest he gain advantage in opportune times.

I think as we spend time meditating on all Christ is and what He has done for us, our love for Him will encourage us to not want to disappoint Him or hurt Him, or grieve the Holy Spirit-
Yet we can have besetting sins that are more difficult to overcome- when I was a helper in an "Overcoming Strongholds" ministry for several years, one thing I found needful to remind former addicts:

Romans 13:14King James Version (KJV)

14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

They needed reminders to 'avoid' situations that were making provision for the flesh- no matter what 'stronghold' they were attempting to overcome-
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I was once in a prayer meeting where Mrs. Morrison shared that she was learning to ride a bicycle at the age of 60. But every time she rode out of her driveway, she was afraid of landing in the ditch or in a bush, so she would focus on one or the other, and sure enough, she would land in it. Then she learned that what she really needed to do was fix her eyes in the direction she wanted to go. After that, she never had that problem.
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.…
For the joy set before him ... I think this is a constant theme in the New Testament. Instead of wallowing in reflections on our sin and sinfulness, the focus is shifted to Jesus and to grace and power and eternal glory. That's important - some people have been enslaved by a religious guilt trip where they are keenly aware of their own sin, but feel stuck in it.
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
So let's keep our eyes on Jesus, and look to him for our righteousness. The response to sin is always to turn to the grace of Jesus - and to walk in his commandments and abide in him and in his love.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:Perhaps Jesus wants us to overcome sin by choosing to love instead?
I believe overcoming sin is one of many goals for a believer and love the way Jesus loved would be another. I don't think the focus on one goal in becoming like Jesus will solve other areas if that is what you mean by 'instead', although love will certainly affect how we overcome certain sins. For instance, if I chose to love others, I can avoid the sin of getting even and not turning the other cheek. If I chose to love others, I can avoid being jealous of them or looking down upon them and their ways of following Christ. If I chose to love others, I will avoid the sin of ommission in sharing the Gospel with not yet believers. Love does cover a multitude of sins.

1 Peter 4:8 - Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:Overcoming sin is a tempting goal for a believer, but it seems Jesus' greatest command was simply love. And Jesus laid out righteousness to a very high standard when he said "You have heard it said... but I say".

Let's talk about how we believe sin can be overcome, and even how proper it is to have this as a primary goal. Perhaps Jesus wants us to overcome sin by choosing to love instead?
So...what you are saying is that Jesus didn't die to deliver us from sin?
How is it a "tempting goal", when it is strongly exhorted to in the NT?
I suggest a good reading of Romans 6 would correct your view of overcoming sin, Josh.
1Jn_3:8  He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
The doctrine you are suggesting is what comes from easy believism, which I don't believe that you embrace.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Isn't it the power of the Holy Spirit that empowers us to overcome sin?
Paul dealt with this issue in regards to the abuse of alcohol when he said,
Eph 5:18  And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Post by betterpromises2 »

I understand your question Brother Josh- The Lord bless you as you grapple with this. I wish I had had opportunity to grow in this area at your age.

The Lord says that if we claim to be without sin we deceive ourselves (1 Jn). However the Bible also tells us that Jesus was named Jesus because he saves his people from their sin (Matt 1). And he came to take away our sin, and defeat the works of the devil (1 Jn). Sin shall not have dominion over us (Ro 6), and in order to "live" we must put to death the deeds of the flesh by the flesh (Ro 8).

I believe that we can live free of the dominion of sin, but not sinless. The larger pattern of which is dominant it key. We stumble at times, but we get up and walk rather than stay down, with his help and grace.

How does he want us to overcome sin? Here are some thoughts that have helped me in my continuing walk:

1. Overcome sin By faith- he said we can be out from under sin's dominion- does it make sense to trust him by faith, even
when our "eyes" tell us something different. I believe it does. Tell him daily that you trust him to help you walk as Jesus walked and to walk in the light- for his glory, not ours.

2. From Ro 6: "Know, Reckon & Yield." I heard once a sermon by Mose Stoltzfus on this that was helpful to me. It has helped me to study this chapter closely.

My experience is that after many years of being under sin's dominion in some ways, I am achieving slow but sure victory. Still much ground to be regained, but I can testify to God's faithfulness in this when we trust him, and seek with his help to deny the flesh and the common misunderstanding that there's no point in struggling.

Other helpful verses: Prov 4:18 and 2 Cor 3:18

Helpful sermons: Zac Poonen has a lot of excellent teachings - free - at cfcindia.com and youtube

Chris.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Zac Poonen. A name I haven't heard for some time. A Salvation Army brother got me listening to Zac's sermons years ago when returning from a backslidden state. They really help me.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I'll keep up with this thread. I was thinking last night of creating a thread called "Thorn in the flesh".. It would've paralleled some of what the OP alluded to.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do