Doing Penance

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Doing Penance

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote::? :roll: I wonder how Begg enters into and begs the topic of Penance which is what this thread is about?
:lol:
When every thread eventually becomes about the One True Church and Eastern Orthodoxy, it seems apropos to ask the person steering it in that direction exactly why they attend Begg's church which is neither Orthodox nor believes itself the One True Church.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote::? :roll: I wonder how Begg enters into and begs the topic of Penance which is what this thread is about?
When every thread eventually becomes about the One True Church and Eastern Orthodoxy, it seems apropos to ask the person steering it in that direction exactly why they attend Begg's church which is neither Orthodox nor believes itself the One True Church.
I find your reply to this intriguing, somewhat misleading- I am not the one who brought up Alistair Begg- Josh put me in the list of people in this thread and seemed to ask verification for where 'we' are at presently in church. I simply replied we were attending a 'non-denominational' church- then the darts came out, Begg was brought up by 'others' not me, and then I am accused of bringing all this into the thread, when I was simply answering a question- I am very sorry Max, that was not my intent at all! This should be very telling indeed.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Anytime you enter a conversation, the darts come out for how the rest of us should embrace Eastern Orthodoxy.

I'd be a lot more comfortable if you just shared what you've learned from Begg that's applicable instead of complaining that the rest of us aren't following Orthodox doctrine.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Back to "doing penance", can we all repent of bad-mouthing everyone else's faith and focus on how to live out our own?

I think it's important to be clear about whether claims people make are true or not, e.g. if we are going to have claims about how Catholics do penance, using the Catechism and other official sources to verify claims is important. But I don't think we should be sitting in judgement on others.

I do think we should discern what is right. I think that can be done in a more charitable tone.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote:
Josh wrote:
I find your reply to this intriguing, somewhat misleading- I am not the one who brought up Alistair Begg- Josh put me in the list of people in this thread and seemed to ask verification for where 'we' are at presently in church. I simply replied we were attending a 'non-denominational' church- then the darts came out, Begg was brought up by 'others' not me, and then I am accused of bringing all this into the thread, when I was simply answering a question- I am very sorry Max, that was not my intent at all! This should be very telling indeed.
Thank you, Valerie. I appreciate your apology.

As the OP/creator of the thread I'm sending a reminder:
-active Anabaptist members only
-how is this topic applied within your fellowship.

If there is no other input that meets these criteria then this topic is closed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:If there is no other input that meets these criteria then this topic is closed.
I think that's up to Robert.

But you have made quite a few claims about how Catholics do penance, and I think they are at odds with other things quoted from official sources. Most of these threads you start get around to making claims about Catholics, then you say that discussing your claims is out of scope.

So back to this:
Bootstrap wrote:I think it's important to be clear about whether claims people make are true or not, e.g. if we are going to have claims about how Catholics do penance, using the Catechism and other official sources to verify claims is important. But I don't think we should be sitting in judgement on others.
I do think we should be determining whether the things people say are true or not. It's possible that some of us are wrong, if so I would like to see information from official sources that says so. If not, I would like to see you correct some of the things you have said.

Truth does not need a bodyguard. Let's not enable this game.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?