Tucking in shirts

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Tucking in shirts

Post by Josh »

I would like to discuss the Anabaptist practice of tucking in or not tucking in shirts.

1. Justifications for teaching it is proper for believers

2. Justifications for teaching it is not

3. The practice of tucking in at church, but barely anywhere else

4. What groups would require it, what groups would appreciate it, and what groups definitely don't care

5. Variations with some families' boys tucking in, other families' not, in the same church and how this comes to be

6. How to spiritually handle these differences

7. How to explain to an unbeliever why you tuck in your shirt whenever in public or with visitors over at your home, even in a very casual setting.

8. Let's also discuss if our witness becomes more positive by doing so.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Tucking in shirts

Post by Dan Z »

You do live in a parallel universe. :)

Does such a standard really exist - outside of a general exhortation for brothers to be neat and presentable?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote:You do live in a parallel universe. :)

Does such a standard really exist - outside of a general exhortation for brothers to be neat and presentable?
Yes. Mandatory in intermediate and ultra settings, varies in moderate settings, and is absent in fundamental settings.

Holdemans are transitioning away from a tucked in standard.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Wow interesting.

For me this fit's in the same context as suspenders or prescribed clothing styles like cape dresses. It is the church community's attempt to bring uniformity to the way members present themselves to the world - and to each other - I assume supported by biblical ideals such as modesty and simplicity and propriety.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote:Wow interesting.

For me this fit's in the same context as suspenders or prescribed clothing styles like cape dresses. It is the church community's attempt to bring uniformity to the way members present themselves to the world - and to each other - I assume supported by biblical ideals such as modesty and simplicity and propriety.
Yes, it's the same broad category of things, as there's nothing implicit in tucked in shirts, suspenders, or dresses instead of skirts and shirts that is more Christlike.

Regardless of that, I'd like to discuss my original questions. My current conference doesn't require tucked in shirts except as a matter of custom during formal church services.

However, I have a lot of friends I respect who still do tuck in, and they would view it as a sign of my own spiritual decline if I abandoned the practice. Additionally, I may want the flexibility in the future to be part of a brotherhood with tucked in shirts. It's not a good idea to frequently change one's dress styles at work.

I personally dislike the practice and think it knocks at least 2 points off of my attractiveness, but that's a different topic...
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

"Tuck your shirt in and close your top button." would be a fairly common direction to our boys before leaving for church. I don't think we have a rule about it but we soon would have if we didn't tuck. However, by the time church is over some shirts will have come untucked and on Sunday afternoon the boys will all be running around with casual shirts, not tucked in. This is in an old order car church.

The young married men may be wearing polo or even t shirts at work, not tucked in. My shirt has always been tucked in - even when I was quite young. I would not feel properly dressed otherwise. I would sometimes like to pull my shirt out when cutting grass but don't feel it is proper for me.

I would not like to get into a deep spiritual discussion about why or why not. Generally the more conservative would stress tucking in more than the more liberal but not necessarily.

Would it affect our witness one way or the other? Ira Wagler wrote in a blog about how this young couple came into the store, perfectly and immaculately dressed, not a hair out of place. When they found out he was ex-Amish, they asked if he has a "ministry" to the Amish. Turns out they were strong Baptist. It reminded me of seeing two young men together, witnessing; white shirts, black pants, dark ties, short, very well groomed hair. To me that just cries "Mormons." I served on a panel one time with two other plain Mennonites; I wore a striped dress shirt with short sleeves and the top button open and I thought I was well dressed. The one on my left wore a long sleeved white shirt with the top button closed, black pants and dark suspenders, hair and everything totally proper. The one on my right wore a white shirt with a perfectly pressed black suit with the plain collar. I felt decidedly casual between the two, but would really wonder which one of us looked most approachable.

In church I expect proper dress. On the street and at work I also expect proper dress but not as formal as church. For myself, those perfect people I mentioned would seem to have a negative effect as would the person with two top buttons open and his shirt tail out. But then that is only me!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:I would like to discuss the Anabaptist practice of tucking in or not tucking in shirts.

4. What groups would require it, what groups would appreciate it, and what groups definitely don't care
Our Mennonie Brethren church would fit into the definitely don't care category. Our teaching pastor normally wears casual clothes with shirt tail out. According to Romans 14, if some Christian thought it was a way for them to honor the Lord by wearing a shirt tail in or out, that is quite acceptable. Same with the head cover, or suspenders or wearing a beard or not, etc and any other form of appearance within reasonable decency. I noticed last Sunday that some of the younger guys wear their ball caps during the service.

Does casual or shirt tails worn in or out reflect our heart attitude toward God ? Some believe it does. Others believe it doesn't. Still others believe it can. I'm in the last category, it can. When I am involved in corporate worship on Sundays in a pair of jeans with my shirt tail out, am I still in awe of God or is my dressing so relaxed causing me to have more of a flippant attitude toward God ? For myself, wearing a hat would cross that line of not showing respect.

One argument for our dress not mattering is that the church building itself is no sacred ground. We are the Church, the temple of the Holy Spirit. So, what we wear inside or outside corporate fellowship should not matter as we take this temple with us wherever we go. If dress matters we should dress a certain way to honor God wherever we go.

An argument that it does matter is that most cultures see dress as important for various settings and do often show a sign of respect. If we would dress up someway to show respect for others, we should dress up when we meet to corporately worship God.

Personally, even though I came from a church background with certain restrictions, I'm thankful in our church this area is left up to the individual as he/she is ultimately accountable to God alone. Whether there are expected norms or not, it does not necessarily reflect what is in the heart to honour God, in my observations.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

If tucking in shirts, top buttons, and top hats are really our concerns that we think is worth arguing about, I think we then are like bored children on summer vacation looking for a fight with siblings. If this is truly the real concern, we REALLY need to start telling more people about Jesus.

I think there is common sense that tucking in a shirt at church is more dressy. As a standard/rule, how about telling people about Jesus Christ daily as a standard and rule?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I think there is common sense that tucking in a shirt at church is more dressy. As a standard/rule, how about telling people about Jesus Christ daily as a standard and rule?
I already do that, and there are lots of threads that talk about that. I created this thread specifically to talk about tucked in shirts, and the desire of many conservative and plain Anabaptists that I myself tuck in my shirt, and how I should deal with that best.

I personally have zip - zero - zilch - nada desire to always tuck in my shirt in public. It's probably one of the least favourite things, to me, about being a plain Anabaptist.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I don't tuck...not even for church all the time. I don't do this because I just don't like the functionality of it as well.
0 x